Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PA Inserts

Options
  • 28-02-2013 8:42am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Behringer powered pa system (pmp5000) and there are inputs on the desk called 'Inserts'. I've never had cause to use these, and tbh I dont really know what they're for or how to use them.

Can anyone here explain in plain English what they might be used for? I've come across mention of them on some sites, but they're not really explained very well - the sites seem to assume you already know a lot about sound engineering, which I dont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

the inserts are a single TRS jack connection to allow you send the signal out to an external device or processor and return it to the signal chain

The trs jack is a "stereo" jack and the signal is outbound on one "channel" and returns on the other.

The cable would split at the back of the jack to allow you plug into the input of the device with a TS or mono jack and also the output with the other one

https://www.google.ie/search?q=trs+insert+diagram&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zTM&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zCwvUdPEGZK0hAefoYGYCQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=855&sei=2SwvUZmfHJKGhQec7YCQDw&gbv=2#imgrc=Rl_G_xmgGAqACM%3A%3B3f8ZiHXkTvL-YM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F2.bp.blogspot.com%252F-Oukab9gE-EE%252FUBwhty6ubfI%252FAAAAAAAABNg%252FRkPVIytWTpY%252Fs1600%252Finsert_diagram.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftatendaaudio.blogspot.com%252F2012%252F08%252Finsert-cables-magic-of-analog-audio.html%3B789%3B467

Typically used for reverb, or compressors etc.

sorry about the link above cant remember how to add a picture

hope that helps!

BTW sad face at stsrt a typo cant get rid of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I might be wrong here, I'm mostly posting so someone can confirm or correct me, but my understanding of it was an Insert puts any effects processors into the channel in series, so all the signal is going through the effect, as opposed to a return channel which is in parallel and can be mixed in with the dry signal. Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

correct rcaz, if one had the spare channels the effect return could be routed to a spare channel and the amount of the effect applied controlled from there
    Ideal for delay or reverb where you might want to mute the effect if on vocals between songs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

'Insert' and 'Send & Return' are two different things. There are also hybrid topologies and variations on the two main ways of 'getting', as it were, FX & dynamics onto your channels.

'Insert' usually means interrupting the signal path (as was said above) so that you can place an additional unit 'in-line' with the signal. Originally this was a modification but ended up becoming a standard feature. In the case of a Mic channel - it is desirable to place the inserted unit *after* the mic pre - so the 'insert point' occurs after the Mic pre & before the EQ (but not always).

The 3-connection Tip-Ring-Sleeve is used (again as described above) and the link to the graphic explains how the signal is 'sent out' along one connector element and 'returned' via another connector element. What has not been made clear is that there is a switch in that Insert jack on your console - and that this is normally closed, allowing the signal to flow through the channel. The insertion of an Insert cable into this jack breaks the connection and makes possible the series connection described before. This is called a Normalisation switch (in that it is 'normal' for it to be on)

Right away, you can see that the insert send and the insert return share a common shield, effectively unbalancing the signal. For this reason, this type of insert is only used on lower end and/or live consoles. A good recording console will preserve the balancing and so these consoles usually have balanced in and outs for the inserts and/or are connected to fully balanced patchbays.

'Send and Return FX' usually means that an Aux send (for 'auxiliary' send) is used to divert a portion of the channel signal to another location. The most common uses for Aux send signals are reverb & delay FX and Cue mixes. In the past, the destination for the Aux signal was physically remote, so the process was easier to understand. The signal would be sent to an echo chamber or a plate reverb - often in another part of the building. The signal, having been processed by the 'effect', was then 'Returned' into the mix - usually via a separate fader. In this way, individual control could be maintained over the original (Dry) and the effected (Wet) signal.

Typically, and for obvious reasons if you think about it, the Inserts are used for dynamic effects: Gates, Compressers, Limiters and Levellers.

Send & Return technique is usually used for Reverbs and Delays. This makes sense - since these units replicate ambiences and there is usually just one ambience that an ensemble will be performing in. Of course, studio recordings are often replicated live, so there might be a number of simultaneous Send & Return FX going on, say: a gate reverb for the snare, a plate for the toms, a small hall + delay for the vocal. This would be the bare minimum number of FX I would use live.

Like i hinted at the beginning, there are a plethora of ways of hooking up FX & dynamics: sidechains, parallel-compression, keying, dedicated and/or inserted reverbs, gated reverbs - to name a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm a little wiser now!

Cant see a situation where I'll be using them for the moment, so I might just tape them over to stop the eejits in my band (and sometimes me!) from plugging their instruments into them and moaning because they cant hear anything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement