Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley Erin Smoke Machine?

Options
  • 28-02-2013 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Hoping for some advice, our Stanley Erin (Boiler Model) was installed and always worked fine. Plenty of chimney draught. No probs with smoke coming out when door was opened etc.

First issue I noticed was the top vent mechanism (A knob you rotate clockwise to shut vent) got very stiff. Noticed this in the Autumn after the summer when Stove was not in use....

- Anyhow my current issue is that from time to time I can get smoke coming out of the perforated holes in the Stove lid directly over that top vent. To paint an accurate picture it can be quite dramatic with a worrying volume of billowing smoke all of a sudden - but more often than not its just a small, steady stream.

I originally thought the issue was a blocked chimney but I've swept that twice.

I've also removed the baffle and taken off the top section of the Stove and cleaned all soot/coke from everywhere I could see.

Stanley tell me the Stove is only covered for 12 months...... Not that impressed with their fob off as I'd have thought it would still be operable after 18 months.

- I can't seem to get near the vent mechanism - a quick inspection seem to suggest that the front panel of the Stove needs to come off to access this general area - Am not keen to do this as think door needs to come off etc., lots of messing and then the worry that I may not reassemble correctly :eek:

I'd appreciate any help or advice - I'm in Co. Limerick if anyone knows someone honest that might sort it - But ideally DIY would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

I had a customer with the same complained and looked like it was coming through the stove .it was comeing out from where the flue joint the stove.a bit of a push of the flue and fire clay and it was perfect. It really looked like it was comeing out of the stove . hopefully yours is an easy fix like that one.no harm in checking it first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks Crock - Hmmm - Sounds like a def possibility, the cast top of the Stove does make a kind of canopy with the only escape for any potentially trapped/channelled smoke entering from the mid-rear being those front vents......

- Will check it out in detail - Thanks for taking the time to reply, very much appreciate your help.

Will post back anyhow with how I get on, if anyone else has additional advice or experience of this type of issue I'd love to hear from ya too!

Cheers.

Advertisement