Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austrian Beer in Dublin

Options
  • 27-02-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there,

Does anyone know of any off licences in Dublin that sell Gosser/ Puntigamer or Ottakringer beers? Gösser is apparently not available in Ireland - I asked in one of the nearby off licences if it could be ordered in.

If you do know anywhere that has any of these three (or other good Austrian beers), please let me know.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

You can get Foster's in most off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

OP said Austrian not Australian

Drink Store have only a hand full of Austrian beers so no idea if they suit you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

OP said Austrian not Australian

Drink Store have only a hand full of Austrian beers so no idea if they suit you

Austria! Well, then. G'day mate! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Except in Australia where it's quite rare.

OP, most of the good beer off licences have Samichlaus. Gregorius is in a few of the better ones, and Steigl seems to be around a lot at the moment, if that floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 g_dublin

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for Samichlaus and Gregorius... got some Steigl at Christmas, which was excellent. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Could be worth mailing or tweeting Baggot Street Wines, they have a monstrous selection of international beers

http://baggotstreetwines.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭babaracus

Stiegl definitely available in McHughs on Malahide Road. I have also had Gosser from McHughs but that was some time back so it may now be gone from the Irish market. Any good Munich Helles is a good if not better replacement: Hofbrau, Lowenbrau, Augustiner etc. I may be wrong but aren't those Austrian beers mainly Munich helles style?

Sorry I do not know how to do umlauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

babaracus wrote: »
    Stiegl definitely available in McHughs on Malahide Road. I have also had Gosser from McHughs but that was some time back so it may now be gone from the Irish market. Any good Munich Helles is a good if not better replacement: Hofbrau, Lowenbrau, Augustiner etc. I may be wrong but aren't those Austrian beers mainly Munich helles style?

Sorry I do not know how to do umlauts.
    the Austrian beers are more like Heineken/ Carlsberg than munich helles.

i.e. not a proper pils but not as mild (or dare to say it sweet) as Munich helles.
    Also, you can actually quite enjoy a munich helles at room temperature, Augustiner especially, which is a good sign of the quality of a beer in my eyes.

I wouldnt do that with Austrian beer now to be honest. Did it once and it has put me off Zipfer since (which is now available near me and was something I'd pick up now and then but not any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

I've seen Gosser and Zipfer in Carvills, Camden St before. But you might want to phone ahead to be sure.

As someone said already, basically Pilsner/Lager style beers, or is there any other variety in Austria?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

donaghs wrote: »
    I've seen Gosser and Zipfer in Carvills, Camden St before. But you might want to phone ahead to be sure.

As someone said already, basically Pilsner/Lager style beers, or is there any other variety in Austria?
    there is a nice Weissbier that comes from there called Edelweiss which is actually nicer than any of the lagers that are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hey

Sorry to bump a year old thread, but did anyone find any off licences that sell Austrian Beer for definite. Did my erasmus back in Graz, Austria in 2009 and have never had a beer as nice as Gösser since.

If not, has anyone used this website? http://www.austrianshop.com/frontend/scripts/index.php?setMainAreaTemplatePath=mainarea_productlist.html&groupId=200

I worry that the customs wouldn't like this or add some extra levy on top of it, even though it is already expensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i've seen Stiegl in Fresh on Camden St but it's the Goldbrau which is their most bland offering.
    If you ever see Puntigamer Winterbier buy it IMMEDIATELY
    same goes for Gösser's Bock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thanks for the reply, Ill check that place out.

Maybe I can get onto one of the bigger offies in Dublin and ask them if they would be interested in importing some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

If you manage to find Ottakringer anywhere, please let me know.

Advertisement