Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why did I fail my driving test so badly?

Options
  • 27-02-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, today I took my driving test for the first time and failed miserably. Going into the test I was quite confident as I felt I had a good chance of passing it. Before the test I had a lesson with my driving instructor where he done a mock test with me, I done fine and got 5 blue x's which counts as a pass. My instructor felt, as my dad did too, that I should pass it with no problems. If it helps I'm an 18 year old male. So the tester asked me questions and signs which I got all right, as well as the safety checks under the bonnet and light checks, no problems. As I was driving, I felt myself that I was driving at a good standard, yet every now and then the tester would mark me down for something, which I couldnt understand why. I know I shouldnt take notice of him but its hard not to in the corner of your eye, however this didnt put me off of my actual driving. When I got back to the centre I knew I had failed it, and on telling me this, he said I had alot of problems with my gears and that I was coasting. Now I know for a fact I wasnt coasting because I had been told specifically not to do this before hand. And i quote my driving instructor in saying that my gear changes are usually "beautiful". In all I got 17 x's, the majority of which I am sure were undeserved, apart from maybe three. Im not saying Im the greatest driver there ever was, and am certainly not making any excuses, but its completely beyond me how I can get 5 x's, then 20 minutes later get 17? My instructor was at a loss aswell.

With regard to coasting, can someone please tell me exactly what not to do, as maybe my instructor hasn't previously spotted any bad habits I may have. I only ever press down the clutch right before I am about to stop. Also, how would I go about reapplying under the cancellations as I would like to take it again as soon as possible.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Could 'coasting' mean that you were consistently accelerating and driving too slowly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

post the sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Coasting generally means that you are driving too long with the clutch pressed in. Generally speaking you should know if it is something that you are in the habit of doing (from what you describe it sounds like you are not).

It might be worth booking a lesson with a different instructor, get them to take you through the test route and observe, and let then compare their notes to the fail sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it could be that you arent changing gear crisply enough (thus having the clutch in too long)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I agree with Corktina. Probably too slow to change gears after depressing the clutch. That's coasting. Djimi's idea is a good one too. Get another instructor to take you round and give an honest assessment of your driving style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Do you by chance hover your foot over/rest your foot on the clutch pedal without pressing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Taylorw94 wrote: »
    Hi, today I took my driving test for the first time and failed miserably. Going into the test I was quite confident as I felt I had a good chance of passing it. Before the test I had a lesson with my driving instructor where he done a mock test with me, I done fine and got 5 blue x's which counts as a pass. My instructor felt, as my dad did too, that I should pass it with no problems. If it helps I'm an 18 year old male. So the tester asked me questions and signs which I got all right, as well as the safety checks under the bonnet and light checks, no problems. As I was driving, I felt myself that I was driving at a good standard, yet every now and then the tester would mark me down for something, which I couldnt understand why. I know I shouldnt take notice of him but its hard not to in the corner of your eye, however this didnt put me off of my actual driving. When I got back to the centre I knew I had failed it, and on telling me this, he said I had alot of problems with my gears and that I was coasting. Now I know for a fact I wasnt coasting because I had been told specifically not to do this before hand. And i quote my driving instructor in saying that my gear changes are usually "beautiful". In all I got 17 x's, the majority of which I am sure were undeserved, apart from maybe three. Im not saying Im the greatest driver there ever was, and am certainly not making any excuses, but its completely beyond me how I can get 5 x's, then 20 minutes later get 17? My instructor was at a loss aswell.

With regard to coasting, can someone please tell me exactly what not to do, as maybe my instructor hasn't previously spotted any bad habits I may have. I only ever press down the clutch right before I am about to stop. Also, how would I go about reapplying under the cancellations as I would like to take it again as soon as possible.

Thanks for any help :)

Get more lessons with an instructor on what you failed on,as you quite clearly are you are not good enough to pass the test..thats why you failed.

17 Xs.......what does that say to you?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Taylorw94

ottostreet wrote: »
    Could 'coasting' mean that you were consistently accelerating and driving too slowly?

I dont think so, although I did receive to x's for making progress, one on the straight and turning right. Although I've never seemed to have these problems before.
    post the sheet?

Ok!
    djimi wrote: »
    Coasting generally means that you are driving too long with the clutch pressed in. Generally speaking you should know if it is something that you are in the habit of doing (from what you describe it sounds like you are not).

It might be worth booking a lesson with a different instructor, get them to take you through the test route and observe, and let then compare their notes to the fail sheet.

Yes it's a possibility I suppose that when I change gears I am taking to long to release the clutch. Usually I bring the clutch up slowly to ensure a smooth gear change. Yes I'll look into taking a test with a different instructor for sure.
    corktina wrote: »
    it could be that you arent changing gear crisply enough (thus having the clutch in too long)
    I agree with Corktina. Probably too slow to change gears after depressing the clutch. That's coasting. Djimi's idea is a good one too. Get another instructor to take you round and give an honest assessment of your driving style.

Come to think of it, the tester said to me that the problem with my gears was that I was taking too long to change from to 2nd to 3rd gear. But yes maybe my clutch is pressed in to long during gear transition.
    Do you by chance hover your foot over/rest your foot on the clutch pedal without pressing?

I dont think so, as there is a rest to the side of the clutch which I usually put my foot on. Although possibly when Im driving very slowly in traffic and may have to stop at any moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Don't fret about it - get a different instructor but you do meet some obnoxius pricks. Took me three goes to get it. On my second test one instructor looked hungover and grumpy and had two blue marks even before I got into the car and failed me miserbly. Got two grade threes on the first one which I deserved because I never got any lessons and I flew the third one. Just stick with it.

theidiots wrote: »
    Don't fret about it - get a different instructor but you do meet some obnoxius pricks. Took me three goes to get it. On my second test one instructor looked hungover and grumpy and had two blue marks even before I got into the car and failed me miserbly. Got two grade threes on the first one which I deserved because I never got any lessons and I flew the third one. Just stick with it.

Thanks for the advice. I heard stories about the tester I had saying he marked quite harshly on coasting so should have maybe been more carefu. But it was nothing serious enough for how much he marked me down on. Just wondering, when you reapplied for your test did you go under the cancellation list, if so how long did it take?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Thanks for the advice. I heard stories about the tester I had saying he marked quite harshly on coasting so should have maybe been more carefu. But it was nothing serious enough for how much he marked me down on. Just wondering, when you reapplied for your test did you go under the cancellation list, if so how long did it take?

took me 3 months I think but this was a long time ago, I hear people getting it in two or three weeks these days on the cancellation list or sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Coasting is when you have the car moving at speed without being in gear. It could be that you left your foot on the clutch too long after gear changes, didn't take it off between changes, put it down too early or put the car into neutral before stopping.
    The testers don't make up marks. They have no need or reason to. If they wanted to fail someone they could simply mark every mistake you do more severely. But these would still be actual mistakes.
    An instructor may pass someone just before their test to boost confidence. Some may be amazed a person failed to pass blame to the tester or they may not understand the marks or you just drove badly during the test.
    Reapply online, tick the box saying you can take a test at short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theidiots wrote: »

you mean tester. Instructor is quite different

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Exact same as you, nearly identical by the sounds of it , have reapplied and clicked on cancelation list so hopefully I get another go at it soon

Exact same as you, nearly identical by the sounds of it , have reapplied and clicked on cancelation list so hopefully I get another go at it soon

Ya its so annoying knowing you have to go through it all again. Where did you do your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes it's a possibility I suppose that when I change gears I am taking to long to release the clutch. Usually I bring the clutch up slowly to ensure a smooth gear change. Yes I'll look into taking a test with a different instructor for sure.

That's coasting.

Once the car is moving and you are in the correct gear for the speed there's no need to hold the clutch. Just push the pedal, change the gear and remove your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I got pulled up by an instructor once on coasting and I remember them saying that the driving examiners come down really harsh on it.

I think it is because - you are not in control of the car when it is coasting, basically the car is freewheeling. It is not liked:D

Clutch in, change gear, clutch up/whilst accelerating/decelerating, 2/3 secs top.

Ya its so annoying knowing you have to go through it all again. Where did you do your test?
    wicklow, got 4 grade 2's for not making progress, cited as on the straight where its 60, i was doing 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

wicklow, got 4 grade 2's for not making progress, cited as on the straight where its 60, i was doing 55.
    Is there four 60 kmh straights on the Wicklow test route you did?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You are supposed to maintain the speed limit, not lower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

If it makes you feel any better, in my first test I got 19 marks, it's a nightmare but just keep at it, you can do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

ADIDriving wrote: »

No, or rather not on any route I know. May have been given for not moving off quick enough in traffic or stopping too short at junctions.

ADIDriving wrote: »
    No there's 2 but he cited them as where the marks where picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

When you go over the bridge on the link road (coming from the test centre) the limit changes from 50 to 60. A lot of people miss this change and continue at 50.
    Which route did you take?

loobylou wrote: »
    When you go over the bridge on the link road (coming from the test centre) the limit changes from 50 to 60. A lot of people miss this change and continue at 50.
    Which route did you take?

I knew about that limit, I was doing 55 on the 60's. Either way ive reapplied and gone on cancelation list so fingers crossed i wont have to wait to long

Advertisement