Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and PGCE in UK

Options
  • 27-02-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have read conflicting things about the Back to Education Allowance for a PGCE in the UK. I have searched through the rules and it seems that it is not applicable to postgraduate courses outside Ireland, but I have heard of people getting it to do the PGCE (teaching qualification) as it is the equal of the HDip in Education here.

To be honest, I have a feeling I already know the answer (no, the rules seem pretty clear), but I thought I'd enquire here as I have heard of people getting it whilst doing this course in case I'm misreading something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have read conflicting things about the Back to Education Allowance for a PGCE in the UK. I have searched through the rules and it seems that it is not applicable to postgraduate courses outside Ireland, but I have heard of people getting it to do the PGCE (teaching qualification) as it is the equal of the HDip in Education here.

To be honest, I have a feeling I already know the answer (no, the rules seem pretty clear), but I thought I'd enquire here as I have heard of people getting it whilst doing this course in case I'm misreading something.

does this answer your question?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx
    1.8.1 Postgraduate Study

From 1 January 2003, the postgraduate option of the Back To Education Allowance is payable only to persons who wish to pursue a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or to persons in pursuit of a Professional Diploma in Education hitherto known as a Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary & Secondary Teaching) [NVQ Level 8].

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zachysmithy

Thanks! I think that could be the grey area, the PGCE is the exact equivalent of the PGDE so maybe it is covered, but it doesn't say it exactly. I have a feeling its not covered because its overseas but I've heard of people getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nickdiaz

Have we got a confirmation on this yet? In the same situation.

Advertisement