Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mix Postion in corner of room

Options
  • 27-02-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm just curious to know what peoples opinions are on mixing in a corner of a room. The rooms 4.4m(L) x 2.4(W) x 2.4(H) but has an entrance to a bathroom down one end and a window with a blind+curtains at the other end.

So this leaves me with the corner beside the bathroom door. Would thick acoustic foam blocks in the corners of the room help this at all to kill bass modes or would it still be pointless due to the mix position? I've been reading through the SOS article on it but says nothing about monitoring in room corners.

Also, there's a piano in the room to the right of the mix position which would leave me restricted on putting up foam panels. Decisions decisions!:pac:

Hope you's can help!

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

think you're gonna be relying on your headphones a lot. Nearfields with a high rolloff are prob your best bet - think NS10-type mons. Stick them very close to you. Then soundproof away - keep tweaking it until your mixes sound the same everywhere you take them. You can gauge the bass from your headphones if you learn their ways. Not ideal, but you will be able to mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Cool cheers for the reply! I generally just want the nearfields for proper imaging and bass response but if I can't get the room treated then it's pretty pointless. I have the entry level KRK Rokits and they have a tweeter volume control on em so that should sort that.

I've been mixing on HD25's the past few years on the go with my laptop and they're pretty well burnt in, but the drivers are on their way out i think as they rattle with the low end now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Cool cheers for the reply! I generally just want the nearfields for proper imaging and bass response but if I can't get the room treated then it's pretty pointless. I have the entry level KRK Rokits and they have a tweeter volume control on em so that should sort that.

I've been mixing on HD25's the past few years on the go with my laptop and they're pretty well burnt in, but the drivers are on their way out i think as they rattle with the low end now.

yeah the room's going to be a problem as it's asymmetrical. The advantage of using nearfields with a high rolloff (100 Hz in the case of NS 10's) is that you'll avoid all of this bass problem stuff. Bass is the easiest region to approximate/ fix later. The relative balances of vocals/instruments/drums are really hard to mix with bass doing weird things (which is why NS 10's are actually good for relative balance - even though they suck and are nasty speakers). I don't see your tweeter tweaker being much use as it is intended as a relative 'brightness' control to compensate for subtle room variations/individual taste. it is not intended as a fix for flutter or other HF problems in a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

TroutMask wrote: »
    yeah the room's going to be a problem as it's asymmetrical. The advantage of using nearfields with a high rolloff (100 Hz in the case of NS 10's) is that you'll avoid all of this bass problem stuff. Bass is the easiest region to approximate/ fix later. The relative balances of vocals/instruments/drums are really hard to mix with bass doing weird things (which is why NS 10's are actually good for relative balance - even though they suck and are nasty speakers). I don't see your tweeter tweaker being much use as it is intended as a relative 'brightness' control to compensate for subtle room variations/individual taste. it is not intended as a fix for flutter or other HF problems in a room.

Haha sorry thought ya meant high cut not high pass! True that, I suppose i can always roll it off on the master buss eq for when im mixing and then bring it back in before bouncing.

Cheers for the help! I'll just have to work with what I have, it's a home studio afterall!

Advertisement