Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting/Importing Dog

Options
  • 27-02-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Just trying to find a link for a company that would deal with taking a dog from Ireland to Canada. Can find plenty of info about what he needs to get into Canada, but there doesn't seem to be any info (especially financial) on what he would need to do and where he would need to go up until that point.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Most of it appear to paperwork that needs to be done by the local vet (details here) so I'd start with asking your local vet (bring a printed copy). After that it's all about finding an airline that's willing to take dogs (always difficult) and asking them how much they charge for it (they will require the paperwork to be checked etc. at check in); here's an example from Air Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I got a quote from a company to ship my cat to Vancouver, one company €500 another was €650, I'm not sure I can say the companies here?

If you get a pet passport from your vet, Canada is one of the countries that will accept the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We were looking at emigrating once we're married (in the next two years or so) and obviously Shadow has to come with us. We'd have to pick a country that doesn't have quarantine (Shadow has a few behaviour issues that would just prevent me from leaving him anywhere that wasn't a home environment) so Canada seemed the best option.
    Saw a company that ships from Gatwick to Toronto, and they sell the sky kennels and the page seems very well-structured. I asked for a quote, just to get an idea of what it would cost on top of the vaccine/checkup/passport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I got a quote from a company to ship my cat to Vancouver, one company €500 another was €650, I'm not sure I can say the companies here?

I can't see any reason why not ;)
    It seems to be a topic cropping up a lot these days, so if you have some information that helps owners cut through the bewildering options, do share :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Aer lingus on their website they can allow dogs on flights from dublin to JFK NYC. I doubt their would be an issue bringing a dog from the us to Canada. Plus I think it's like €100-€150.

I seen this last year. So I'm not sure if they still do it

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Aer lingus on their website they can allow dogs on flights from dublin to JFK NYC. I doubt their would be an issue bringing a dog from the us to Canada. Plus I think it's like €100-€150.

I seen this last year. So I'm not sure if they still do it

I've heard people spending up on €10,000 to move their dogs to another country. I just can't fathom how it's only €150 odd to move Shadow to NY :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on the country and size of the animal; for example if you can fit it into a carry case it's a different ballgame then if it needs to be shipped in the cargo area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We were looking at emigrating once we're married (in the next two years or so) and obviously Shadow has to come with us. We'd have to pick a country that doesn't have quarantine (Shadow has a few behaviour issues that would just prevent me from leaving him anywhere that wasn't a home environment) so Canada seemed the best option.
    Saw a company that ships from Gatwick to Toronto, and they sell the sky kennels and the page seems very well-structured. I asked for a quote, just to get an idea of what it would cost on top of the vaccine/checkup/passport.

Be very careful using a company that flies from the UK, your dog would need to be put into a crate in Ireland and then that has to be shut with customs tags on, before going to the UK, so either fly from Dublin to Gatwick, then onwards, but if you take him over yourself by ferry, the dog isnt allowed out of the tagged crate until he gets to the airport, where the vet can open the crate and you can let him out to go to the toilet, stretch his legs etc.

I have heard that you can fly from Frankfurt to canada, and that if you are on the flight, your dog can go on the same plane for around $100. A long journey obviously to get to frankfurt, but may be a lot cheaper.

Horrid how they make it so complicated :confused:

The €500 quote I got from these people

http://www.efl.ie/efl/pettransport.php

They seem really nice, I can also buy the crate from them in advance so that my little guy has time to become accustomed to it. The crate is cheaper than on Zoo Plus €44. He's a male cat 5.5kg, so not too small :p

The other quote was with these guys (€679), seem good too but I'll go with first guys :)

http://www.airsea.ie/

I'm hoping to go to Vancouver (if I get the visa), I'll be using EFL guys for peace of mind. I don't want to have a case where I am on the plane flying away and Jack has escaped his carrier and is wandering around Dublin airport (as happened recently) I'd feel better to know that I am here if anything happens. :D

• Advertisement

Also got his Pet Passport yesterday, very cute!! I included a picture of him in case he does escape they know what he looks like straight away! That cost me €80 and the vets take care of the whole thing now. It used to be sent away to Dept of Agriculture but now they have them on site.

Nody wrote: »
    Depends on the country and size of the animal; for example if you can fit it into a carry case it's a different ballgame then if it needs to be shipped in the cargo area.

I heard a friend of a friend who was refused taking her dog on board the flight, even though he was small enough, they were told that there may be allergies with the people sitting near by:confused:

I think you have to let them know in advance of your plan. But it could be a problem if you have to change flights (not direct) the second airline could say no, then you'll find yourself in London or Chicago with your dog and no flight :(

But maybe you could get written permission to being on board?

Advertisement