Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone else had problems with 3's 3G coverage?

Options
  • 27-02-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I have just switched to an iPhone on 3 since they had the best deal out there for what I wanted.

Whats irritated me is I live in the middle of Dublin and I can't get a decent 3G signal, which is strange as I had no problems with Vodaphone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes they have. I left them myself for the same reason, load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

They agreed to merge networks last year:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/vodafone-and-3-to-share-networks-200751.html

I find three fine and in rural Ireland they have the best 3G coverage due to their NBRS network.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

But you would expect a network called 3 would have a decent 3G network

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sinar

Here is my experience...

I'm coming to the end of a 24 month contract with 3. The coverage is very poor compared to O2 and Vodafone. I've gone days with no 3G coverage.
    This was on an iPhone 3 , 3GS and a 4
    Longest 24 months of my consumer life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I use a ZTE Blade (on 3, of course) and rarely get 3G speeds in Dublin North Central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

I'm in North county dublin and the coverage is mixed. In my house which admittedly is in the country i get very bad coverage and as others have said the issue seems to be when its changing between 2g and 3g i end up either with full 2g signal or a 3g signal with no bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Have to say in Clonmel, south Tipperary and county Waterford three's 3G coverage is excellent. I am using a Nokia Lumia 800 and it rarely lets me down, the phone maybe helping as Nokia handsets usually have better mobile coverage than iphone and Samsung S3. I have no complaints really plus Three's data plan is the tops on Classic Flex Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I'm only with them a week but I find the data coverage in cork to be great. Haven't found a spot anywhere in the county without coverage yet and I travel from the city to the tipp/limerick border playing spotify radio in the car.

I found loads of black spots when I was with Vodafone and lycamobile (O2 network).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I find the coverage is perfect where I live (Baggot Street) but it's absolutely horrible where I work in the IFSC. Constantly just cuts out altogether; I don't know if it's to do with switching between 3G and otherwise or not. Is there to force it to stay on 2G?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 seanbyrne92

I'm having problems with my 3G here in Naas, Co. Kildare
    Only ever getting 2/3 bars out of 5 on the 3G Signal (Iphone 4S)

When I'm in Dublin City Centre I get full bars. Facebook/Twitter photo's dont load up because the signal is that slow? Can Three actually do anything to help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

You should change the title of this post to "has everyone else had problems with their three 3g signal".
    And no they will do nothing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

Horrendous. Barely opens webpages never mind stream music etc.

When I head north the Three UK is a much superior service.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Getting speeds of about 0.12 MB in Cork City.€21.99 a month Meteor now claiming that they will be rolling out 4G I the city so will be cancelling if their speeds are better

Would pay €100 a month for 1 MB. No fixed line on most of north side of city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I'm with them over two years and while there's never been outstanding speeds it's been tolerable.
    But for the last three weeks in Cork it has been absolutely horrendous whatever is going on.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with them upgrading their system to 4G?
    Just now in Cork. An absolute disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Doing some work in Kerry at the moment and the Three network is terrible. No ability to open pages for hours at a time then suddenly 3mb of upload and download. This might last for an hour and then almost nothing.
    I have phoned the technical section and apart from getting a cheeky operator who told me he was in India and that a ping of 430 upload of 32mbps and down load of 26mbps was good enough I have not been able to get anyplace.
    I did notice that if one is prepared to stay up all night down loads of 5mb and up of 3mb can be achieved during the wee hours.
    When I have full bars-very rare-my net access gets worse.
    Luckily I took out a payg sim for my Samsung galaxy rather than a billpay.
    I do not know what game they are playing but they seem to have a death wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Cancelled my dongle with them today. Download speed on 0.15 MB just not worth €22 a month. In Cork City. Was holding out for Eircom to roll out fixed line in the city but seems that is not going to happen

I am told that when g4 comes on stream that reception for all 3 and 4 will improve greatly but they will have lost so many customers by then with awful reception and awful after sales that they will struggle badly to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

I live 15 mins from the city centre, never got coverage in my local park, they are also useless when you tell them about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

Terrible coverage here in Letterkenny, the network was 'down' a number of times earlier this year and last year too. Had a 3 usb dongle aswell and it kept cutting out every 15 to 20 minutes, got rid of it and changed over to meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ColinsCity

I'm with them over two years and while there's never been outstanding speeds it's been tolerable.
    But for the last three weeks in Cork it has been absolutely horrendous whatever is going on.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with them upgrading their system to 4G?
    Just now in Cork. An absolute disgrace!

Looks like a screenshot of my speed test to be honest, I will not let it go, there is no way that a minimum of 0.30 mbps should even be legal with 3G, I can't wait to have enough money saved so I can buy myself out of the contract.
    Three are awful, they always tell me that i'm in a great 3G area yet the network is terrible, I will continuously complain until it is fixed, two weeks ago I did and all week last week the internet speeds more than double to about 2.5mbps and then this week they went back to 0.45mbps, I complained again this week and they are investigating further and I hope they fix it and give better speeds because my sister's iPhone 5s is 7 times faster reaching a speed of 7mbps on Vodafone.

Three are one of the worst networks, if I had known it was that bad I would have paid the extra 70 euro deposit on the HTC One on Meteor and stuck with them, i'll definitely be moving back to them next year.

ColinsCity wrote: »
    Looks like a screenshot of my speed test to be honest, I will not let it go, there is no way that a minimum of 0.30 mbps should even be legal with 3G, I can't wait to have enough money saved so I can buy myself out of the contract.
    Three are awful, they always tell me that i'm in a great 3G area yet the network is terrible, I will continuously complain until it is fixed, two weeks ago I did and all week last week the internet speeds more than double to about 2.5mbps and then this week they went back to 0.45mbps, I complained again this week and they are investigating further and I hope they fix it and give better speeds because my sister's iPhone 5s is 7 times faster reaching a speed of 7mbps on Vodafone.

Three are one of the worst networks, if I had known it was that bad I would have paid the extra 70 euro deposit on the HTC One on Meteor and stuck with them, i'll definitely be moving back to them next year.
    You mean you actually have .30mbps and you are complaining. If I had that speed I would be delighted:D
    I must say that today is an improvement still not up to .30. I am moving to O2 next week

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    You mean you actually have .30mbps and you are complaining. If I had that speed I would be delighted:D
    I must say that today is an improvement still not up to .30. I am moving to O2 next week

Well yeah, I had that speed but at the moment when trying to conduct a speed test it says Network Communication Issues so I wouldn't be so jealous, Three is terrible and I would advise everyone to avoid their network no matter how enticing their bill pay plans or even pre pay plans are, more so the bill pay because if you do cancel prematurely you'll have to pay the remaining months in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

I travel in and out of Dublin city centre daily for work. I would say every second day at peak commuting hours, three's 3G is erratic. Very long page loading times. It's clearly a volume/traffic issue as to be fair, it's generally ok at home in Clontarf.

Very poor service and ongoing since I signed up in November 2012. I have an iphone5

Please INVEST in your network!

I travel in and out of Dublin city centre daily for work. I would say every second day at peak commuting hours, three's 3G is erratic. Very long page loading times. It's clearly a volume/traffic issue as to be fair, it's generally ok at home in Clontarf.

Very poor service and ongoing since I signed up in November 2012. I have an iphone5

Please INVEST in your network!

I find the network to be constantly erratic, the only time it was actually any bit decent was when I was outside a burger king in limerick city, the rest of the city was bad for Three 3G, makes no sense to me, I can't wait to leave and probably get an iPhone while i'm at it.

Pulled the plug on three yesterday. Sick and tired of their deplorable service and even more deplorable help lines.
    Moved to O2. Download now of 6mb. Cannot believe that I once again will have service when I go to log on.
    Now I suppose there will be a big battle trying to get my remaining money back

Advertisement