Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin help

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, this is my first post. I have been trying to get Hyperspin to work but oh I failed. I'm being slightly lazy here but could anybody give me a working copy of this. I want it for a cab I'm going to build. The operating system is 32 bit Windows XP with 512 RAM. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thats a pretty low spec pc to run hyperspin to be honest. Its pretty graphics intense.you might need to increase your Memory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

You won't run hyper spin with 512mb ram
    Won't happen, it uses flash which is very CPU and ram heavy.
    Even 2gb and you still won't have all effects running smoothly unless you've a decent dual core CPU. You'd buy a second hand board,dual core CPU and 2 or 4gb of ram for €100-€150. If you wanna stick with that setup I'd run Mala and an older version of MAME.

To be honest you'd be better off building your own setup of hyperspin and getting help along the way, that way you'll understand what's going on and be able to customise it to your setup better
    I'm more than happy to help any boardsies along the way with hyperspin, I've been using it since the 1st private beta so know it fairly well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am currently wrestling with Hyperspin and I set up a MaLa front end in the past.
    Honestly, MaLa is easier and will run on lower end machines better.
    But a lot of your headaches are going to be making sure your romset is the right one for your version of Mame.
    There are long tutorials around for both of the big programmes for wrangling your romsets into order, Clrmamepro and Romcenter, both are complicated and will take time, there really aren't any short cuts on this, unless you have a mate with it all done already... good luck with that!
    Any frontend is going to take some setting up, be it with regard to what games you want to play, what orientation your screen is, how you want to set up your buttons, are you going to need a keymapper etc.
    All work, none of which can be done for you, you are going to need to learn as you go.
    As I said, I have had experience with MaLa but, setting up Hyperspin, I have already sunk over 12 hours into it and am no where near happy with it yet.
    Later there are shell programs, so your PC will boot straight to the emu, if that's what you want, and there is some real risk you can banjax your PC at this point, or at least make it hard to get back into it if you frak it up.

More memory is better by the way, as has already been said, but if you only want to play the classics look for a complete Mame and little romset of the good stuff, the less roms the better so you actually get to spend some time with them all!
    I had a set, with Mame, and it weighed in at around 128mb, I could bring it around with me on a keychain, booting it up on any PC I was stuck in front of!
    That's probably what you should be aiming at, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

To be honest you'd be better off building your own setup of hyperspin and getting help along the way, that way you'll understand what's going on and be able to customise it to your setup better
    I'm more than happy to help any boardsies along the way with hyperspin, I've been using it since the 1st private beta so know it fairly well.

CathalDublin is right. Better off to do it yourself. I like Hypserspin and have been using it for years. I suppose it can be tricky at first but once you get one or two setup the rest of the emulators become easy to setup. HS is worth the effort imo. Ask questions here and I'm sure you'll get quick replies.

*ALso, it's something you always come back to. If you got a working copy you'd still need to know how to modify it to your tastes.

Advertisement