Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scrap timber

Options
  • 26-02-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

hello there, ive just been offered a load of waste timber from a stripped roof which has a load of nails still in it, wouldnt be bothered with it if i had to de-nail it all, so just wondering if its safe to burn timber with nails in a stove?is there a chance of the nails getting fired around the stove under extreme heat? dont even know if this is possible but wouldnt want to take the chance as its a wraparound boiler,also get pallets now and again which would give me the same problem. any replies appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I have a stanley erin boiler model stove and i burn striped roofs with nails and even bolts in the timber.My brother is a builder so he often gives me a striped roof or old kitchen units.I then set up two bandstands in chop up the timber with a circular skil saw making sure there is no nails where i making the cut with the skil saw so as not the damage the blade.I find pallets a bit more awkward to chop up though.

Then after burning the stove for a couple of days when cleaning out the stove i put on a pair of disposable gloves and gather up the nails on top of the grate and bin them,clean out the ashes and the stove is as good as NEW!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

thanks for the reply agusta, the less work the better:D

Advertisement