Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncing

Options
  • 26-02-2013 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I would love to get something bouncy for my daughter who really enjoys being bounced up and down! I don't really know what to get and reviews are contradictory!
    At first I was looking at door bouncers but it seems kids will bounce off the side of the door and hurt themselves. I've heard people say that the ones with security around is worse as babies catch their fingers between the frame and the bouncer.
    I see there are stand-alone ones but I've never seen one in action.
    Is anyone using bouncers? Which do you use and would you recommend it?
    My baby is 9 months and 15.8 pounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

J has one of the stand alone ones, we got it for him when he was about 5 months but had to put a phone book under it as his feet didn't hit the ground :-)
    Tbh though since he became mobile himself (at around 10 months) we rarely put him in it as he rathers the freedom to move around himself so I don't know if I would invest in a brand new one at 9 months old but maybe a good good second hand one or a lend of one from a friend might be better as they are good for draining that energy before a nap or bedtime ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Ms2011 wrote: »
    J has one of the stand alone ones, we got it for him when he was about 5 months but had to put a phone book under it as his feet didn't hit the ground :-)
    Tbh though since he became mobile himself (at around 10 months) we rarely put him in it as he rathers the freedom to move around himself so I don't know if I would invest in a brand new one at 9 months old but maybe a good good second hand one or a lend of one from a friend might be better as they are good for draining that energy before a nap or bedtime ;-)
    I thought it wasn't for moving around but rather for bouncing? My baby moves around very well too but I'm sure she'd love to bounce for a while. They are expensive and I'd get a second hand one anyway. Have you ever tried the door bouncer?

lounakin wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't for moving around but rather for bouncing? My baby moves around very well too but I'm sure she'd love to bounce for a while. They are expensive and I'd get a second hand one anyway. Have you ever tried the door bouncer?

Yes it doesn't move but as soon as my son became self mobile he no longer liked to be restricted in the bouncer.
    No I didn't try the door one as my doors have a pane of glass above the door surround so I didn't feel it was safe to hang any kind of weight from it.

I see! And does the jumeroo type bouncer give a good bounce? My daughter has hulkish strength and legs of steel! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lounakin I agree with Ms2011 that once they're mobile they tend to not like being confined in a bouncy entertainer. We had the jumperoo entertainer and he refused to go near it once he could move around himself. It was great up to 7 months or so.

Perhaps borrow one from someone because it would be a waste of money if you even bought a second hand one and then she doesn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I have the rainforest jumperoo and my 9 (almost 10!) month old loves it, we've had it for about five months now - she is 21lbs now and the weight restriction is 24lbs. But she really loves it still though and she swings back and forth in it rather than bounces. She has very strong legs too, always had a very hard kick!!
    She is lazy though, no interest in crawling or even rolling around much so she's in no hurry to go anywhere, just likes to swing back and forth.

lounakin wrote: »
    I see! And does the jumeroo type bouncer give a good bounce? My daughter has hulkish strength and legs of steel! ha ha

Yes they are quite strong & sturdy :-)

I'm torn... on the one hand I know she would like it but she is very active, been crawling from 5 months and never stays in place. I guess I do have to borrow one! Anyone live in Dublin city centre that has a spare one :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have a door bouncer and LO is nearly 10 months. i stopped using it around 7 or 8 months as she was trying to walk rather than bounce in it and i was terrified when it would swing back. She got a bounce and spin zebra for christmas and she loves it. (still a bit too small for it so we bounce her up and down on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does she climb yet? We had a jumparoo (borrowed from a friend) and she loved it, but it became a climbing frame and way too dangerous at about 10 months. When they are trying to pull themselves up on things it's just a liability.

• Advertisement

yes she climbs... big problem already! I had barricades in the appartment but she can climb over (she doesn't think about the faceplant to come!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

I have the rainforest jumperoo and my 9 (almost 10!) month old loves it

Yeah, we have that one too. We had it for our first kid - she loved it (from 5 months to around 9/10 months). And our 2nd one (5 months) uses it now too and loves it. Great fun, good exercise, and great to occupy them!

This is the one we have:
    http://www.fisher-price.com/en_Us/products/38839

But I think it's since been replaced with newer models:
    http://www.toys.ie/Search1/Shop_Product_Search.aspx?Profile=Euro&query=Jumperoo

Also OP - we have one that hangs over the door too (we bring it away with us) and it's fine - just not as versatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Yeah the first link is the one we have alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Bought the door bouncer and used it about 5 times for each kids. Its a pain having the door open, leaves the draft in! They like it but the novelty wears off. I think every person in the toddler group has borrowed it by now and all loved it but are glad they didnt buy it.

There's a jumpa roo in the kidzone place we go to and my 12 month old used to love it but as soon as he could creep properly he has no interest. I'd say 5 to 10 months is all you're going to get out of it.

Also it take up a fair bit of room.

Thanks everybody for your help. I get I should have gotten that stuff sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Try get one on Adverts or Gumtree or one of the free cycle places. I had an activity centre from when my little one was about 6 months, until she was coasting at 9 or 10 months & then she used to just give out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I'd say I have a very different experience of it, I used it with both my kids, my boy still use it every couple days and his a big 9 mth old boy who crawls at the speed of light :P but I think he likes the change sometimes, likes to see things from a bit higher up. My daughter even still goes in it just for the craic sometimes. It is absolutely steady and even when my 2yr old climbs on the sides of it it doesnt budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i work in a creche and we have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-Gymtastics-Bounce-Spin-Zebra/dp/B000EULX9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361998118&sr=8-1

its a bouncing zebra! in my room we have children from 1-2 years but some of the older children- up to 3 come back and have a bounce!

its brilliant and the kids really love it! it has the bouncing element in it and it twirls and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

We've one of those Ene & she loves it. Got it 2nd hand from someone. It's up in her bedroom now, so not getting the use it used to get, must take it out for her again.
    Not suitable for Lounakins little one for a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Biggest hit here this Christmas was the Bounce and Spin Zebra also. Bought for the 1 year old but the 4 year old also loves it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement