Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prepare yourself....

Options
  • 26-02-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to prepare myself for for my dog being pts, vet has recommend that its for the best.

Mackey my boxer has Pancreatic cancer he's been battling it for about 2 months and losing the battle he's not the dog he used to be no life in him if theres a knock on the door he just lies there where before he always thought the knock on door was for him:D

He just lies on his bed has no control of his bladder and wets himself he hasn't barked in months, his eyes are blank nothing there anymore :(

We actually brought him in to be pts a few weeks ago after a he got a massive fit.It was a very hard decision to make but we thought it was for the best.The vet put him on a stronger steroid that seemed to work but he told us its a temporay measure.

Vet has said we can increase his medication but still recommends we bring him to be pts.

I feel so sorry for him lying there now not knowing today is his last day.

Never thought this day would come being honest I hope he goes in sleep before I have to drive him to the vets.I'm dreading the time that I put the lead on him for his last spin in the car.

I hope its peaceful and he don't look at me thinking why are you doing this to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

I had to put my first dog down when I was 12. It broke my heart but he was in a lot of pain and I couldn't see him suffer for the sake of me not wanting to let go.
    An injection is given and they gentle go to sleep. No pain.
    Just to be there for your dog to give calm, love and security that best will be done. Is a great finale gift you can return too them.
    Good luck OP.
    Its not happy day but just a tread of the tapestry you guys have shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I just wanted to express my sympathies to you OP. I'm sorry about Mackey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Sorry you're going through this, it's awful. When you bring your dog in, your vet will probably sedate him first and leave you with him to say goodbye. To be honest, after that most dogs are pretty much out of it anyway, so it's very peaceful when the final injection is given. You're doing the right thing, staying with your animal and comforting him as he goes. It's a kindness when quality of life is gone, and as hard as it is in time you'll feel better again knowing you did all you could and stayed with him to the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

SunDog wrote: »
    I couldn't see him suffer for the sake of me not wanting to let go.

^^^
    This, for me, is what it's all about OP. It is so hard to make that call, it feels like you're playing god... but you know what? Being able to let our friend slip away with no more pain, with dignity, and knowing he was loved to the last moment and beyond, is one of the great privileges our pets have, one which is not yet afforded to humans in most countries.
    I completely feel your pain: most people here will have been through what you're going through, but don't fall into the trap of keeping him going for the sake of keeping him going. It is the one thing that many owners do once, and regret it always... never to do it again.
    Can the vet come to your home? Would that make it any easier?
    Good luck OP, I don't envy you the journey ahead: it will NEVER be easy to do, but for me, when the dog has become incontinent, and unresponsive, then his dignity is gone, and it's time to step up to the plate for him.
    Good luck.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I'm reading this with a tear in my eye as it reminds me of having my first dog pts when I was about 13 we had him since I was a baby.
    One day in the back garden he attacked our other dog we had to separate them with the sweeping brush then he just collapsed on the ground with a massive nosebleed it was then we knew something was very wrong.

I'm sure what you're going through is absolutely heart breaking but it's really the kinder to let him go rather then watching him suffer. Enjoy your last day or two with him then take comfort in the fact that he's no longer in pain or suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Im so sorry xx.I had to have my 11.5 year old boxer pts 2 years ago:(He had dialated cardiomyopathy and while he was doing well on meds he took a bad seizure and an xray showed up a large tummy tumour,his heart was too weak to operate and I couldnt put him through any more.Hardest decision ive ever had to make.My vet wanted to operate but I said no.I took him home and spent the next day kissing him and giving him as many cuddles as possible.My vet came to my home to do it.Bruno was on his bed in the sitting room I gave him some chicken and hugged him while the needle went in.Hardest thing ever !!! but I couldnt watch him suffer.It was very quick..almost too quick.One second he was there and gone the next.His heart was so weak it didnt take much before he slipped away:(((.Ill probably never get over it but when they get to a stage where they look at you and you know theyve had enough you have to do the kindest thing.I am glad it was done at home and that I was there with him but it killed me and then my children came home :(very hard time.I hope you are ok and enjoy every last second you have with your dog xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

my uncles dog was put to sleep last may:(,someone was bking out van and didt see him.think he had broken bk not sure,vet said because of his age tryin to fix it wudt be any good..he was nealy 19 yrs old.nearly blind ,deaf.was very hard.they had him since i was 12 yrs old.32 now, aunt had to ring daughter and other son later in day to tell her.she was very upset ,.hes in alot memorys and pics his nick was mad dog. :) at least ur fella wont be in pain any more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

dave1982 wrote: »
    Vet has said we can increase his medication but still recommends we bring him to be pts.
    Dave i really do feel your pain, most of us have been there and it's truly heartwrenching. Most vets will try and hold out for as long as they can and give you options but the fact they're recommending the latter option is really when you should be doing the best for your buddy. It's time :o
    DBB wrote: »
    Being able to let our friend slip away with no more pain, with dignity, and knowing he was loved to the last moment and beyond, is one of the great privileges our pets have, one which is not yet afforded to humans in most countries
    +1

I prepared myself from the time i got my dogs diagnosis tbh. I made all the days i had with her the best ones ever. Slobbing on the couch was brilliant, watching her sleep on the end of my bed upside down was brilliant,seeing her reflection in my rear view mirror when i drove...was...brilliant. I cherished every moment i had, until she literally "gave the paw" for the last time :o She literally gave her paw as she was so used to getting random blood tests and injections, this was just another one to add to the mix. She was in great form when i put her to sleep, but i refused to carry it on to the bitter end because it would've been for me and not her.

The best advice that i can give is don't leave it too much longer. As DBB said let your friend slip away with no more pain & dignity :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

We went through this 3 weeks ago.
    Not a nice time. Got our baby's ashes back yesterday.
    Just remember the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thanks for all the nice replies, lots of tears shed this morning sending my daughter out to school.

I want to back out and not bring him but I know I must do this today.

He's starting to devolp a breath problem now groaning body is like rock :(

• Advertisement

Im in tears reading this, I remember when i was 19 and our 13 year old labrador had to be put to sleep, it was the best thing for him and he went very peacefully. 15 years later i still shed a tear for him now and again, you never forget the love you had for your dog and the love he had for you, nobody in your life quite displays the same type of loyalty towards you, thats why it hurts when they leave us.

I have two dogs now, they are 7 and 10 years old and I dread the thought of anything happen to them. I sometimes wonder was it worth getting them knowing the pain I will feel when they are gone, but the answer is yes, because when they are gone at least I can truly say with my hand on my heart that they had a great life and plenty of love, and thats all we can do for our doggies. My sympathies to you and your family

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

dave1982 wrote: »

He's starting to devolp a breath problem now groaning body is like rock :(

Dave1982, I don't want to seem hard or callous here, the written word can appear harsh even though the intention is to say this as sensitively as possible, but you've got to do this now. Your old friend is in pain now and you need to end that, now.
    Get off the internet, spend a while with him, and go to the vet or get the vet to come to you. Don't leave it any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

My thoughts and prayers are with you on this emotional day. I'm certain you are doing the right thing and I can only wish that you remember all the good times you spent with your best buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Good luck today Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've tears in my eyes typing this, but DBB is right.

You love your dog and he loves you. He needs you to be strong right now... today... because he's not able to be strong any more.

Give him a few hours that he'll enjoy - maybe even a special steak or chicken? Give him a lot of cuddles and then help him on his way. If the vet can come to you, that sounds like it'd help a lot.

I wish you and your dog the very best, it's clear you love him and this is the kindest thing you can do for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Sorry to hear about your dog. I had to get my dog put down 4 months ago,the hardest part was making the phone call to the vet & bringing her in. Once it was done i felt a lot better & seeing how peaceful she went,i knew I did the right thing for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dave, my thoughts are with you and your pal Mackey.

I went through this yesterday week. Well, I'm not sure if its exactly the same. In our case although our Sundance the 9 year old Westie hadn't been well for months as he had developed Pancreatitus and was losing a lot of weight, he was still enjoying himself chasing his brother westie and singing songs of gratitude when we'd come home from our walks. Well most of the time unless he was nausous, right up to a few days before he had an acute attack of pancreatitus. So although we were worried about him and his future prognosis we didn't go to the Vet last Tuesday week with the knowledge that we wouldn't be bringing him home in a few days. We went back to the Vet before they closed to bring him to UCD for overnight monitoring. We were devasted to hear he had detiorated massively during the day and his chances were negligable and he was in great pain despite the meds. So we had to make the heartbreaking decision there and then.

So I don't know if that makes it any easier not knowing before hand or knowing before hand. On the one hand we did not get to mentally prepare for the event but on the other hand maybe fore-knowledge makes it even harder. I just don't know.

Just be sure of the fact, that you are doing the right thing. Your mind will have you second guessing yourself before and after the event. Remember though....

You are doing the right thing!

Something family said to me last week triggered a thought that gave me comfort even during my worst period of distraughtness. They said, that if they could have taken Sunnys' pain and suffered it for him they would have in a heartbeat. I realised that if the terrible emotional pain I was going through after the decision was the price of relieving Sunny of his physical pain then it was a price I was glad to pay for our little man. Now I think in horror at the thought that for a few moments I was thinking of myself and considering putting him through a horrific night for a tiny chance he would pull through only to linger on with all sorts of organ damage and possibly brain damage, more or worse bouts of nausea than before just waiting for the next acute episode....Just so ....I... wouldn't of had to have to make a hard decision?!?!

No....ultimately I made the right decision thankfully and so are you.

I had a terrible few days afterwards as did the rest of the family. Don't feel guilty for the times you realise you aren't thinking about him. It doesn't mean you don't care or are trying to forget him. I'd burst into tears again when I realised I hadn't thought of him for a few minutes and felt terribly guilty. Apparently this is very common when grieving. In the midst of it one thinks the constant sadness and emotional turmoil will never end, but it does get easier.

Only a few days ago, I said never again. Never again would I put myself or family through this again. After our beloved Butch and Cassidy eventually pass away we would never get another dog. Yet after a few days I realised how silly that was. I no longer reacted with horror at the idea. Now in our case its not something that will be put to the test in the short to medium term as we still have our Sundances' brother Butch and Cassidy the Shih-Tsu. Our lives still have the joy of multiple dogs. Our dogs still have the joy of canine as well as human pack members. However if Butch didn't have Cassidy and was terribly missing his Westie brother and friend, I could already see myself being emotionally able to get him a new friend. No dog would ever replace Sunny. He was one in a million.

Another emotional switch happened in the last few days. That of being able to be thankful for the nearly 10 years we had with Sunny rather than focusing on the 4 or 5 or 6 more years we didn't get to spend with him. Imagine if I had followed through on the 'Never Again' type thoughts after our beloved Remy was PTS back in 2003. I just can't imagine now, missing out on the nearly 10 years of fun and games and joy we had with Butch and Sundance and 5 with Cassidy or the hopefully many more years we have with Butch and Cassidy.

I mean, in the days after Sundances' passing, if someone handed me a time machine that could transport me back to late 2003 on the road down to Wexford were I could stop my past self in the car and tell myself to turn around, that the pain 10 years in the future would be too great. Well, I would probably have used that time machine. However, only a few days later, I'd refuse the offer of the time machine. No way would I deprive myself of those 10 years of joy with Sunny.

No matter how you feel in the next few days....

It will get better....

You are doing the right thing...

Mackey is so lucky to have had you as a friend all these years.....

You are both in my thoughts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Your pet has relied on you all these years for food, shelter, love, safety. This is the last thing you can do for him. This is no way that this decision is going to be easy, but its the only decision you can make for him.
    How lucky you and Makey are to have had such a good and long time together. Hugs to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

You'll be in my thought's today Dave, it's so hard but please keep in mind you're doing the right thing.
    I'll never get over putting my collie Flea to sleep but I know it was the best thing for her and I'll never regret it. She was very ill and when her time came I was there, always in her eye line, speaking to her, petting her and keeping her calm.
    Mackey will be going to Rainbow Bridge and will be happy and at peace. Just remember what an amazing life you gave him x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sorry to hear Dave. Hope you guys are ok.

• Advertisement

Mackey passed away today at 12:45 cuddled in my shoulder standing the table.

I think he knew, we were crying in the room I was sitting the chair he came over hoped up cuddled into me.

We were hugging him crying as he went to sleep he left out a slight moan as he went, what I hope was a sigh of relief.I will never forget the feeling of him lying down as he passed.

Vet was great told us we done what we can its time to let him go, offered us option of getting his ashes back told he will cover cost until he gets the ashes back and we pay him then.

Thanks to everyone who replied I got comfort from it filled up tears but its was comforting.

We are getting picture framed and putting it on wall where he used sleep a little place still here for him.

He had nice feed of sausages this morning.

Just looking at his paper work DOB 26/02/2007 6 years and a day

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Oh Dave, I know you're devastated but you really did the right thing. He's pain free now and probaly running around up there likes he's a puppy again.

Im so sorry xx,you did the right thing.Im sure the sigh was one of relief and ease,mind yourself and your loved ones xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Condolences, had to go through this last September with my dog. She was 14 and in pretty much the same state as your dog. Rather let her go out that way then watch her suffer any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Aw, this was a hard thread to read but it showed how strong the bond was between you and Mackey.

Dogs really do become part of the family. Framing his photo is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Reading this thread with tears in my eyes. Had to get my little fella pts in January 2011. Had him for 8 years and he was old when I got him! Swore never to get another dog as I couldn't go through that again but how and ever I did get another little fella last June and he brings me so much happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Dave, really sorry for your loss. It's really obvious the love you had for your doggie and the strong bond between you.

It's never easy. Remember the six years you shared together and the joy he brought to you. And you to him.

Just a quick message to say thanks to everyone who supported me in the last few days, its been very tough without him.

My other Boxer Jake has reverted back to being a puppy very needy following me everywhere.Jumping up for no apparent reason and running around in circles j ust like he did when he was pup.

He's enjoying the centre of attention status he has acquired allowed sleep in room with us where he wasn't before due his crazy snoring and smelly farts:D

Anyway heres a pic of Mackey the morning he was PTS notice the paint on his ear he decided to get involved in painting that was going on a few days before he passed. :rolleyes:

2nd picture is him when times were good for him.I was shocked when I compared the 2 pictures.Starting to think he was sick for a long time before we did anything to help him.I stupidly thought he was just getting older and fatter and changed his diet increased his exercise.He might still be here if I hadn't and cancer would have been treatable.I'll never know

Beautiful boy xx

• Advertisement
Advertisement