Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All80s.ie - How do they make money?

Options
  • 26-02-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Has anyone listened to the DAB radio station All80s? I found it on the TuneIn Radio app on my iPad. If you were a child/teenager of the 80s then you'll have heard almost all of the songs. It appears to be basically the chart hits of the 80's rather than specific genres and apart from 'Dusty Roads' I haven't heard another DJ mentioned.

However, from my listening so far, they don't seem to have ANY adverts! This morning on their breakfast show they've been playing sound clips from Only Fools and Horses, Allo Allo and The Cosby show,between tracks.

So how are these guys making money? How can they afford to keep operating? Those audio clips will need a license and the IMRO would be getting their cut from airplay too. Anyone know how they make money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The same way the likes of Zenith Classic Rock does. 'Making money' isn't really the appropriate phrase; 'covering costs' would be better.

These stations accept some sponsorship, some donations (both not enough in Z's case) and reply on subvention by their owners, who're doing it with an eye to the future.

All80s is part of the Dublin DAB trial, so they hope that in the future this will increase into a viable business.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably getting some sort of funding initially?

If they are part of a Dublin DAB trial then maybe Gov funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭squonk

I know they used to carry ads. I've heard ads for those Motivational Weight Loss people and I believe some cosmetic surgeons as well so it may just be the time you're tuned in that they don't have any, or perhaps they've phased out ads of late.

I give them full marks for doing what they do but I find their selection of music a bit dull. It's nice to hear some of our own Pros like Dusty and, I believe I've heard Nails Mahoney doing their thing. It sort of reminds me of Atlantic 252 occasionally only with better sound and not the same 10 songs every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,063 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NIMAN wrote: »
    If they are part of a Dublin DAB trial then maybe Gov funding?

Private trial. Even when the RTE trial carried commercial stations there was zero funding for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Nope. Neither the first DAB trial, Total Broadcast's one in the SE (which is in its 4th year) nor the All80s one have any govt funding.

Its all being pushed forward by positive-thinking private companies.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

squonk wrote: »
    I give them full marks for doing what they do but I find their selection of music a bit dull.
    Well I've been listening a lot and have to say that the selection is very much the chart hits of the 80's so if you are looking for all of the music that you would have found in the charts, particularly Top 10-20 hits then you are on solid gold.

It's all 80's brass and synthesised keyboards and percussion :)

The reason I asked about this is because I find the station very nostalgic and like the music in general, even if a lot of it wasn't really to my taste during the 80s, if that makes sense. I'd hate to see them close down due to lack of funding.

Advertisement