Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potterton HE gas boiler problem

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    my Performa System HE gas boiler got serviced in end of October by the Gas Company and since Iv noticed what i think is a problem. It cuts in and runs up to temperature and cuts out, and within 8 or 9 seconds cuts back in again. Its like the temperature differential was set too fine. It is constantly cutting in and out every 6 or 8 seconds and I expect something will give up in the control end if I don't get it sorted. has anyone else had this problem, its prolly just a simple adjustment, but since I have a contract with the Gas Co, I will get them back to check it out. What are the charges for such call-outs and are there any do`s and don`ts to be aware of.

Regds John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 citygo

Hi John,
    Have you sorted the issue?
    The same is happening with my gas heater. It starts the flame, heats up the water in about 10 secs until the temp diodes light up up to 80 degrees and cuts out. The pump runs for about a minute or two until the temp diodes go down to 30 degrees. And it starts again.
    It used to take an hour to heat up water in the tank but now it it takes more than two hours.
    Thanks,
    Kris

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

citygo wrote: »
    Hi John,
    The same is happening with my gas heater. It starts the flame, heats up the water in about 10 secs until the temp diodes light up up to 80 degrees and cuts out. The pump runs for about a minute or two until the temp diodes go down to 30 degrees. And it starts again.
    It used to take an hour to heat up water in the tank but now it it takes more than two hours.
    Thanks,
    Kris

What boiler do you have. It sounds like a circulation issue as in the heat isn't getting out quick enough. Do you hear any hissing, crackling or banging from the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hi John,

I would hope it took a lot less than the two years since his post to get sorted. ;)

Your problem sounds like a circulation issue.
    Does the boiler behave the same way when you are trying to heat the radiators as well or is only when you are trying to heat up the water?

My boiler: Potterton Performa System HE (probably 18 or 24)
    The same happens for both the central heating and water heating.

A circulating issue seems reasonable. I guess the hot water is not being pushed out of the heat exchanger, that's why the flame is being turned off so quickly. But I'd imagine that if the pump is broken it would not work at all which, would mean there should be no warm water in the tank at all. But there is. It's just takes way longer than before to fully heat up a tank. but that also makes sense if the flame is only on for 10seconds at a time.

There is some hissing once the flame is on which goes quiet when the flame is off. You can definitely hear the fan working. But I can't confirm if the pump is working properly. Is there any non invasive way to do it?
    Thank you very much for you help.
    Kris,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

My boiler: Potterton Performa System HE (probably 18 or 24)
    The same happens for both the central heating and water heating.

A circulating issue seems reasonable. I guess the hot water is not being pushed out of the heat exchanger, that's why the flame is being turned off so quickly. But I'd imagine that if the pump is broken it would not work at all which, would mean there should be no warm water in the tank at all. But there is. It's just takes way longer than before to fully heat up a tank. but that also makes sense if the flame is only on for 10seconds at a time.

There is some hissing once the flame is on which goes quiet when the flame is off. You can definitely hear the fan working. But I can't confirm if the pump is working properly. Is there any non invasive way to do it?
    Thank you very much for you help.
    Kris,

Defo circulation . If it has an electronic wps it will fire without the pump , but if it has a flow switch then it would require pump to run . Are you in a hard water area ? Sounds like pump or blocked heat exchanger

• Advertisement

Yes, we are in a very hard water area. And from what I know the extension vessel may have been broken for quite some time, which would add up to the problem, wouldn't it? (the small pipe that goes outside the flat is constantly leaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Yes, we are in a very hard water area. And from what I know the extension vessel may have been broken for quite some time, which would add up to the problem, wouldn't it? (the small pipe that goes outside the flat is constantly leaking).

Yep . I'd there an auto filler on the system or are you manually topping up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Your heat exchanger is partially blocked with either sludge or limescale I'd say.

Advertisement