Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Schools

Options
  • 25-02-2013 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    I am a 30 year old female with a diploma and BSc in nursing, with 10 years acute experience, and I have a desire to study medicine in Ireland or the UK.

I applied several times to Universities in both Ireland and the UK; however I have been unsuccessful to date and have since taking up studying medicine at POTE Hungary where I am in 4th semester of year 2.

I would like to know has anyone transferred from POTE or any other medical school to Ireland or the UK. And if so how??
    Or has anyone transferred from second year medicine to any other programme in Ireland or UK?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

I met a student studying in Budapest who was doing an elective over here. It's probably not what you were looking to hear, but just thought I'd mention that organising electives might interest you if you are trying to familiarise yourself with Irish system.

Edit:
    Actually I just thought about that after posting... I've no doubt your familiar with the system already if you've been a nurse here. Good luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Drwannabe

Hi Chanste,
    Thank you for your post, would you happen to know we're they doing a summer rotation in the lower years or was it an upper year student electives.

I think they were in their 2nd last year which I think made him equivalent to our final years because his actual final year incorporates something equivalent to our intern year.

My guess would be that you could probably get some experience if you called around.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

I think if u have 2 years down u should stay put.Irish med schools wont accept a transfer from a hungarian med school .
    May i ask why is it that u want to transfer?Afaik,the 6th year in hungary can be done mostly in ireland but u must set up the rotations yourself

Drwannabe wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a 30 year old female with a diploma and BSc in nursing, with 10 years acute experience, and I have a desire to study medicine in Ireland or the UK.

I applied several times to Universities in both Ireland and the UK; however I have been unsuccessful to date and have since taking up studying medicine at POTE Hungary where I am in 4th semester of year 2.

I would like to know has anyone transferred from POTE or any other medical school to Ireland or the UK. And if so how??
    Or has anyone transferred from second year medicine to any other programme in Ireland or UK?

Many thanks,

Mary

There's many reasons I want to transfer home.. I feel Ireland has a better educational and training system.. I feel it would benefit my needs more educationally, physically, mentally and socially. I would be more financially stable living and studying in Ireland.

One of the biggest reasons is that i no longer feel safe here.. A few things have happened over the last few months, and now I feel more and more vulnerable.:(

• Advertisement

One of the biggest reasons is that i no longer feel safe here.. A few things have happened over the last few months, and now I feel more and more vulnerable.:(

That sounds very serious. Have you discussed this with your faculty? Maybe I'm just not familiar with how the system is over there but I would expect any college would have some kind of support system for such dilemmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

chanste wrote: »
    That sounds very serious. Have you discussed this with your faculty? Maybe I'm just not familiar with how the system is over there but I would expect any college would have some kind of support system for such dilemmas.

From what iv read these colleges dont give a damn about the students.Is up to the student themselves to cope with all the obstacles which in fairmness many have done successfully.Iv spoken to people on gp training schemes in ireland,uk coming from these schools.
    OP would u consider transferring to Budapest instead?Theres about 50 Irish vets there in every year and i havent heard any issues about safety.Big city so would likely be more friendly to tourists.The only other alternative would be to sit Gamsat if u have a 2.1 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Hi,

Many thanks,

Mary

Dont wish to sound dismissive but transferring may be a long shot
    Best option with that is to write to the Deans of the Medical Schools directly to ask if anyone has dropped out of a place in medical school through sickness etc - They lose funding if student gone so may be interesting for them, problem for you will be whether they can accept you if you did not have the points to get in first time - an interesting dilemma there though as if someone drops out in second year they cant take someone from here as they will not have had 1st year done whereas you will - With 6 medical schools there is a slight chance there but suggest you get writing -- even if they ask you to repeat a year you have done you will be in your home system which would be what you want sounds like

I dont have any information on UK system so cant comment but that they have a lot more medical schools and ppoint above also relevant there

Barring that you need to figure out what happens when you graduate from where you are, at this point I suggest you write to the irish medical Council ( if you intend working in Ireland) to get an idea what is likely to be your registration status, surprisingly you may not qualify to apply for an INTERNSHIP here as some EU countries graduate with Full not Limited registration which means you will also be doubly disadvantaged as you will be applying for a 2nd year job in a competitive environment against people who have a years work experience in ireland

Best of luck

Thank you all for your suggestions..

I have applied to Ireland again as a mature student, so hopefully fingers crossed this will be may year and my dream will come through.

I have also wrote to the Deans of the medical school in Ireland and have also looked at UK and Malta.

I have also contacted the medical counsel as the upper year students are finding it difficult to be accepted in Ireland, for placements..

Thank you all very much for all your help

Hi all...

Well I just found out I have got accepted to both TCD and UCC undergraduate programme starting this September..

I am hoping to transfer some credits as I have now completed 2 years at university of Pecs so I have MCB, Biochemistry, Histology, Embryology, Physiology, immunology and neuroanatomy completed??

Any one have any suggestions of how to approach the credit transfers?
    As I only have 2 weeks to accept the offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

Congrats! I can only speak of TCD but yo may be able to apply for exemptions in particular modules based on previous experience. No guarantee you'll get the exemptions though.

Advertisement