Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rundown of Rosslare worrying the Welsh

Options
  • 25-02-2013 6:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4

Much concern being expressed on the Fishguard Trains website re what on earth is going on at Rosslare.
    Trains that leave minutes before the ferry docks.
    Stations moved far away from the ferry terminal
    Rail line to the midlands closed.
    Is this a rundown to closure?
    If not, what's the plan?
    Does anyone in Ireland's south-east care?
    Fishguard has got more trains, Rosslare is losing its rail connectivity.
    You wouldn't think we're all in Europe together ...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Split from old thread and new thread started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

There is an issue regarding capacity on the Rosslare line and current train timings mean the Ex-Rosslare train has to leave when it does - however there is an argument that the Rosslare - Dublin service be delayed until much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in my life time rosslare will be shut and demolished, the line as far as graystones will also be shut and lifted, and the line to waterford will be lifted also

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But hasn't Rosslare gained on the bus front?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't connections between Waterford-Rosslare much more popular than Rosslare-Dublin services. Revising the train times will cater for a very small number of passengers so I can see why IE are not bothered about it in a way.
    But hasn't Rosslare gained on the bus front?

Havn't BE reduced services due to low demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's a small number of passengers because it's been engineered that way deliberately. Some commentators have been saying that for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭thomasj

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Yes. Service has reduced considerably and only operates to and from wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

corktina wrote: »
    it's a small number of passengers because it's been engineered that way deliberately. Some commentators have been saying that for many years.

That's the whole story of IE. Fail to provide a service and then point to people making alternative arrangements as proof that there is no demand.

Symptoms or cause. That's the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It will still be a small number of passengers weather on not the train waits for the ferry, there will never be mass numbers connecting.

It will still be a small number of passengers weather on not the train waits for the ferry, there will never be mass numbers connecting.

Because they don't currently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Because they don't currently?
    Because people fly or take their cars or use Eurolines or have someone collect them rather than pay through the nose for a slow train that stops at every mountain halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,139 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't connections between Waterford-Rosslare much more popular than Rosslare-Dublin services. Revising the train times will cater for a very small number of passengers so I can see why IE are not bothered about it in a way.

Well lets close it so, along with the WRC, Wat - Lmk Jnct, and Nenagh/Roscrea.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Because people fly or take their cars or use Eurolines or have someone collect them rather than pay through the nose for a slow train that stops at every mountain halt.

Err pay through the nose? Rail and Sail?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,139 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

monument wrote: »
    Err pay through the nose? Rail and Sail?!

Exactly. We have been hypnotised by cheap air travel and the knock on effect causes blatant complacency within other transport providers. No effort made.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

every mountain halt.
    what are you on about foggy? wicklow, arklow, gorey, eniscorthy, wexford, are all major towns in the southeast of ireland
    the reason people take their cars is because back in the 50s and 60s the irish government did everything possible to make sure thats what would happen, they shut the railways (even ones the people would have used) in some cases they didn't replace the railways with decent roads, and where they did they waited until the railways closed (funny how they could afford to build those roads while telling CIE to stand on its own without subsidy ) why? more revenue and vested interests (jobs for the boys/contracts for their friends)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

they aren't major towns. they are fairly big in an Irish context but still not much more than large villages in reality.

I think people take their cars and get lifts because the option to take the train isn't there. Given the cost of petrol and the major pain in the neck which flying is, not to mention the cost of getting to the airport or parking there, there is definitely a good business in Rail Sail.

I think people take their cars and get lifts because the option to take the train isn't there. Given the cost of petrol and the major pain in the neck which flying is, not to mention the cost of getting to the airport or parking there, there is definitely a good business in Rail Sail.

yes, it's putting the cart before the horse to say people use other means of transport when rail has been deliberately emasculated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I think the thread title is misleading. The Welsh are not a bit worried about Rosslare,in the same way that the Irish are not bothered about Fishguard.
    Would it increase the foot passenger numbers on them sailings in sufficient numbers in both directions if the trains left within an hour of the sailings docking?
    It might be more appealing to a few from South West Wales wanting to go to Dublin for the Rugby but i cant see the numbers increasing for the Dublin-Rosslare trains with foot passengers for the boats.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I think the thread title is misleading. The Welsh are not a bit worried about Rosslare,in the same way that the Irish are not bothered about Fishguard.
    Would it increase the foot passenger numbers on them sailings in sufficient numbers in both directions if the trains left within an hour of the sailings docking?
    It might be more appealing to a few from South West Wales wanting to go to Dublin for the Rugby but i cant see the numbers increasing for the Dublin-Rosslare trains with foot passengers for the boats.

Not worried? maybe I read it wrong?

http://fishguardtrains.info/

• Advertisement

Not worried? maybe I read it wrong?

http://fishguardtrains.info/

Fishguard trains are worried not the Welsh as per title thread.

they aren't major towns. they are fairly big in an Irish context but still not much more than large villages in reality.

Here are the population figures as per Wikipedia:

Enniscorthy: 9538
    Wicklow: 6761
    Wexford Town: 20000
    Arklow:13009
    Gorey:9114

In some US states these places would be defined as Cities. Also there is the general hinterland to consider. It is in my opinion something of a reverse exaggeration to describe these towns as big villages. I'd consider Rathdrum a "big village" but it also serves tourist traffic for Glendalough.

Here are the population figures as per Wikipedia:

Enniscorthy: 9538
    Wicklow: 6761
    Wexford Town: 20000
    Arklow:13009
    Gorey:9114

In some US states these places would be defined as Cities. Also there is the general hinterland to consider. It is in my opinion something of a reverse exaggeration to describe these towns as big villages. I'd consider Rathdrum a "big village" but it also serves tourist traffic for Glendalough.

on the other hand Reading in Berkshire has a population of between 145000 in the Borough area and 369000 in the "metropolitan " area including the suburbs which are adminstered by neighbouring Wokingham and Newbury Councils and is a Town and what's more was turned down for City status last year despite being the County Town of ROYAL Berkshire and City statuses being granted elsewhere to commerate Elizabeth IIs Diamond Jubilee

Put in context , they arentmuch more than big villages.

Not sure what wider point you are trying to make by describing the major towns in Wicklow and Wexford as large villages. I don't consider them as such and neither does the Central Statistics Office.

In fact the Local Government Act of 2001 defines a town as a settlement with a population in excess of 7,500.

Not sure what wider point you are trying to make by describing the major towns in Wicklow and Wexford as large villages. I don't consider them as such and neither does the Central Statistics Office.

In fact the Local Government Act of 2001 defines a town as a settlement with a population in excess of 7,500.

i didn't describe tham as large villages.(ps what does that make Wicklow btw?)

i didn't describe tham as large villages.(ps what does that make Wicklow btw?)

:confused:

:confused:

NOT MUCH MORE THAN LARGE VILLAGES.In other words, they aren't large viillages (except Wicklow) but they aren't much bigger than a large village (admitedly not in all cases)

Wicklow is a big enough town and so are the others .

:p
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Wicklow is a big enough town and so are the others .

I have been told that towns have more than 7500 inhabitants. Wicklow has about 6700 I'm told. Not that it matters, but my point is that none of these are major towns. They are the biggest towns in the region, will that suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You two are arguing over this? And meanwhile across the water the CITY of St. Davids doesn't even have a rail link. Get your priorities right.

Advertisement