Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 145 revisions (rumours)

Options
  • 25-02-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Any truth in the rumour of route & timetable revisions here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What rumours would those be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

They have cancelled the extra runs (known as laps) during peak times ~ which means they all go by you full.

If summer timetables go ahead, the reductions are 8 shifts removed from the 46a and 5 shifts off the 145.
    Add loads of foreign students..........chaos.

A rumour of no more Kilmac, for the Ballywaltrim terminus which was built for an Imp bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Better not be, at peak times, you're only going to be able to board that bus 50% of the time due to it having reached its capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

They have cancelled the extra runs (known as laps) during peak times ~ which means they all go by you full.

If summer timetables go ahead, ...

Any info whether this will this also happen on other route corridors?

A rumour of no more Kilmac, for the Ballywaltrim terminus which was built for an Imp bus.
    Hang on, so you're saying the 145 will no longer service Kilmac but start at Ballywaltrim? That'll seriously annoy a lot of people there I'm certain. Plus, I can't see that that segment of the route causes that much of a delay in the grand scheme of things.

Does that also mean they'll cut out the Herbert Road dogleg? I hope not, that'll mean I'll have to walk an extra 10 minutes to get to my nearest stop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That is purely rumour - that has been shown frankly to off kilter in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Alun wrote: »
    Hang on, so you're saying the 145 will no longer service Kilmac but start at Ballywaltrim? That'll seriously annoy a lot of people there I'm certain. Plus, I can't see that that segment of the route causes that much of a delay in the grand scheme of things.

Does that also mean they'll cut out the Herbert Road dogleg? I hope not, that'll mean I'll have to walk an extra 10 minutes to get to my nearest stop :)

Dublin Bus issued a statement last week saying they are not proposing any changes to the routing of the 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Straightening out the Herbert Road "dogleg" would be one of the better improvements to the general running of the 145,particularly as the Herbert Road already has the 45A which serves as the "Local" Bray service,and could thus also be a "feeder" for an improved 145.

It would also bring in the route into the scope of some new users who live on the other side of the Kilarney Road.

The NTA themselves recognise (belatedly) the need to simplify,yet improve Bus Service routing and thus,Frequency.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/planning-policy/gda-transport-strategy-and-guidelines/
    The National Transport Authority is focussed on providing a mass transit system for the Greater Dublin Area that is fully integrated between the different public transport modes and more importantly which takes account of land use plans for the Greater Dublin Area. The delivery of a mass transit system will significantly reduce the need for car commuting in the future. In addition the National Transport Authority is actively promoting measures to reducing car commuting including the development of cycling and walking initiatives.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Straightening out the Herbert Road "dogleg" would be one of the better improvements to the general running of the 145,particularly as the Herbert Road already has the 45A which serves as the "Local" Bray service,and could thus also be a "feeder" for an improved 145.
    The 45A hasn't gone that way for quite a while now.

EDIT: If they sorted out the traffic light timings at the Killarney Road / Boghall Road / Kilbride Lane junction by getting rid of, or shortening, the unnecessary pedestrian light sequences when there's nobody there it would help a lot with the backlog of traffic coming from Kilbride Lane which is the main problem here I imagine. The lights at the other end of the dogleg are much less of a problem in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The 45A hasn't gone that way for quite a while now.

EDIT: If they sorted out the traffic light timings at the Killarney Road / Boghall Road / Kilbride Lane by getting rid of or shortening the unnecessary pedestrian light sequences when there's nobody there it would help a lot with the backlog of traffic coming from Kilbride Lane which is the main problem here I imagine. The lights at the other end of the dogleg are much less of a problem in my experience.

MY bad alun,and it actually reinforces my point that it (45A) should never have been removed from that alignment in the first place.

You are 100% correct regarding the Traffic Signal issue,much of which revolves around the configuring of ALL Pedestrian Signals to automatically run through a phase irrespective of whether any Pedestrians request it.

I often wonder what the purpose of the Pedestrian Push-Buttons are,as they appear to be surplus to requirements in most installations.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I often wonder what the purpose of the Pedestrian Push-Buttons are,as they appear to be surplus to requirements in most installations.
    Indeed, and if you observe real-life pedestrian behaviour at that junction you'd even question the need for pedestrian lights at all :)

lil5 wrote: »
    Any info whether this will this also happen on other route corridors?

There is a list in the depot of proposed summer cuts of various routes~ note the main word proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

There is a list in the depot of proposed summer cuts of various routes~ note the main word proposed.

Would it be possible to divulge some of this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

There are also stone throwing problems on the route beyond Bray in recent times. The 133 has also been "hit" in this regard.

haulier wrote: »
    There are also stone throwing problems on the route beyond Bray in recent times. The 133 has also been "hit" in this regard.
    Where?

Stevek101 wrote: »

Given ideas can be regularly floated internally in any company that never see the light of day, is that particularly wise?

We've seen before here people getting worried/upset about rumours/discussions only for nothing like them to actually take place.

haulier wrote: »

Is this the Newtown incident?

Stevek101 wrote: »

Its part of 3 pages of proposals and until meeted upon can change rapid.
    Its quiet in DB at the moment.

Most recenly there was stone throwing opposite the Nuseries. A few incidents the week before last - on Friday night week a 133 was meant to get a brick. There was glass on the path/roadway the following few days [ and probably still is] on Patchwork hill - presumably where the bus stopped.

It has happened before here - and in other areas in the vacinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the 145 service has gone horribly down hill over the past year, it should be every 10 mins at peak times, but rarely comes in 20.

as for the weekends, youd be lucky if one came every 40 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given ideas can be regularly floated internally in any company that never see the light of day, is that particularly wise?

If this happens, will it be made public or is it just something the company do in the background.

Last summer it seemed one of the midevening buses I get was never turning up but it continued to be officially timetabled (and RTPI-ed up to its supposed start time) so I didn't know if it was deliberate policy or co-incidence.
    If it's policy for the 2 months or whatever, it would be nice to know so that people who make an effort to follow the timetable can at least work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The 145 is a massive route for Schools and Colleges so whilst it may make sense to the statisticians at DB to make cuts during the summer, if they ever travelled the route themselves they would know that anyone from Leopardstown onwards would consider themselves lucky to squeeze into standing room in the mornings. Sometimes the bus is packed full from Shankill onwards.

If this happens, will it be made public or is it just something the company do in the background.

Last summer it seemed one of the midevening buses I get was never turning up but it continued to be officially timetabled (and RTPI-ed up to its supposed start time) so I didn't know if it was deliberate policy or co-incidence.
    If it's policy for the 2 months or whatever, it would be nice to know so that people who make an effort to follow the timetable can at least work around it.

Last summer the problem was they did not have enough drivers to cover for annual leave due to more drivers taking redundancy ahead of the next round of service changes taking place.

Unforgivable in my view.

If the suggested changes mean taking off timetables buses, then they will have to be approved by the NTA and made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

If the suggested changes mean taking off timetables buses, then they will have to be approved by the NTA and made public.

But the proposals (a bit more than rumours) are about the cancellation of (non-timetabled?) extra runs.
    They have cancelled the extra runs (known as laps) during peak times ...
    ... the reductions are 8 shifts removed from the 46a and 5 shifts off the 145.

Do these cancellations have to be approved by the NTA?
    Will the DB customers find out about it?
    And what other route corridors will be affected?

No they're not - the proposals in the depot (re the removal of 8 46a shifts and 5 145 shifts) are "potential" changes to the timetable for the summer months. These would require NTA approval and the public would have to be notified.

But as I said above - they may not actually happen at all. Ideas can be floated at any stage but never actually see the light of day in practice.

The other buses that the Wrecker is talking about are untimetabled extra departures that have already been cancelled. They don't have to be approved by the NTA as they were untimetabled. Why would the public find out/be told as they were untimetabled extras that just fed in on an "as required" basis?

Presumably some analysis of the loadings has been done to arrive at the decision that they are not "required".

Last summer the problem was they did not have enough drivers to cover for annual leave due to more drivers taking redundancy ahead of the next round of service changes taking place.

Unforgivable in my view.

On top of this, they cancelled the Euro duties for 10 weeks.
    To the outsider these slot in at 10min intervals between Shankill/Loughlinstown between 720/840am. (145)

The Euro drivers then shift to another duty or have morning tea.

The full "operating" timetables for all routes [ inc. 145/133] are available [as PDF files ] on the transportforireland site - go to "find a timetable"

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sadbob

Everyday I witness numerous empty or nearly empty 145's passing Hills garage going to and from Kilmac - a round trip of nearly 5km to service a small village. IMO it should swing a left down the Boghall and then back down the Southern Cross and down Killarney Road back into the city. Plenty of room on the Souterhn Cross for buses to wait/terminate too. This would serve a hell of a lot more customers. A local looped route from Kilmac to Bray would more than meet the Kilmac commuters needs.

Advertisement