Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog coming into garden.

Options
  • 25-02-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the long winded post!

Our neighbours from 6/7 doors up have a Husky who keeps breaking into our garden. I know he only comes to see our 2 Labs & that in itself isn't a problem because they seem to be all good buddies.

One of the problems is that he digs holes under the wire fence, does his 'business' in our garden & keeps opening the rubbish bins/bags.

Another problem (and this is the biggie) is that the other day out next door neighbour has had people in putting up wire fences in his garden & doing general garden work. When I saw this had been done I called into him to explain that it wasn't our dogs doing all the digging. He had was pretty annoyed, thinking the Husky was ours. He said he had the work done on a Thursday, came home from work on the Friday to find 4 new holes had been dug under his fence, on either side of his garden.

We have spoken to the Husky's owners 3 times about keeping their dog under control, but they seem to be unable to do so. What else can we do? Calling dog warden seems a little extreme.

Thanks to anybody who read this far :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

If you've spoken to the owner and they havent done anything then the dog warden is the next step.

You could try talking to them once last time and say to them that you will call the warden next time the dog goes into your garden - that might just spur them to do something. Your other neighbour if they're really that annoyed, might just beat you to it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Are not Huskies great escape artists in general? To avoid the digging the only real options is to sink the net down a a great deal (or roses with long roots) or to look at putting down walking path stones (you know the square slabs) on your side of the fence to stop the digging at the fence.

I'd also hand over the bill for the cost of fixing up the place to the dog owner to advise them that this cost is due to their dog causing damage in your garden. They may get a bit of cop on then to get things sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 La Buka

Yeah we've gone to quite a bit of trouble & expense fixing one side of the fence. I'd feel kinda bad calling the dog warden because I get the impression the owners are at their wits end too trying to keep him in.

Unfortunately it's not good enough. My son is just starting to walk & I'd like to be able to play with him in the garden when (if!!!) the weather gets better without having to worry about a strange dog at our back door.

Next time he shows up & when they come to collect him I'll definitely tell them if this happens I'll call the warden. Just feel like an awful c**t doing that to the poor dog!

Advertisement