Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Abroad

Options
  • 24-02-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I did my leaving cert in 2004. I got 360 points but I failed higher maths (E).
    I started a mechanical engineering degree? in 2009/10, not sure. I completed first year but left during second year.

If I wanted to start a mechanical engineering degree somewhere abroad, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Germany. Would I be applying based on my Leaving cert or would the Year in third level count for anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

You might be able to transfer your credits to into your new degree, if there are similiar courses in your new degree.
    You can transfer credits, if the set-up of the course is similiar to the one you have done previously.

(saying this: it only applies if the ECTS credits of the modules you are looking to transfer are higher or equal to your normal course... you can transfer an 8 ECTS credit course into a 6 ECTS credit course, but not the other way around)

in Germany it's up to the lecturer of the module you are looking to get one of your previous courses transferred to. If he/she doesn't allow you to transfer your course, it's hard luck and you have to do her/his course even though you have done something similiar before.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Thanks. I wouldn't mind even if I had to repeat all of first year. I'm just wondering if I'd qualify for the course at all not having passed leaving cert maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

That's something only your prospective colleges could answer really. No harm in shooting off an email to the course directors or admissions departments asking them what their position would be.

Advertisement