Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What AMP for Sony SS-E55 8ohm Speakers?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi!

I have these speakers (Sony SS-E55 8ohm 60W/110W DIN):
    http://audioidiots.com/merk.apparaat.php?apparaatID=435
    and I'm trying to figure out what AMP will work with them as I have blown a few hifi units / clipped an amp with them.

Do I need to make sure that the AMP deliever >= 100W per channel and is 8ohm?

I don't know too much about this kind of stuff, hence asking the question here. If anybody has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've owned a pair of those in the past. They're no spring chickens in fairness. I owned them back in the early 90's !! I'd be hesitant to connect them to anything more than 30W RMS per channel - I don't know of any standard relating to 110W Maximal unless they mean PEAK. The tweeters are delicate and don't take kindly to being over-driven, had to replace them on both cabinets during their 10 year lifespan.

They were OK in their day but have been well surpassed. I certainly wouldn't consider them audiophile being a bit bright with artificial bass.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mtk2

Thanks for the reply ken.

They def aren't spring chickens :D from '83-84 I think.

I got the 110W from the back of the speaker. It says the following:
    maximum power (nominal): 60 W
    maximum power (maximal): 110 W

I was just more afraid of breaking an amp with them. I connected them to a friend's amp before and seemed to overload / clip. To break an amp with them would be bad as amps aint cheap whereas those speakers aren't worth much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Jees am I that old !? :( Yeah now that I think of it I was in Kevin Street DIT when I bought them in the Sony store that used to be at the start of Grafton Street.

Anyway it doesn't work like that. The amp can damage the speakers by trying to dissipate too much power in the voice coils causing excessive excursion of the cone or overheating of the voice-coil. Assuming the speakers are of a suitable impedance then the only effect of putting high powered speakers onto a low powered amplifier is that you'd need to drive the amp pretty hard to get any decent sound from them. Another possibility is that the amp blew a component in the Crossover that presented a short circuit to the amplifier. Have you tried the speakers since ?

Out of curiosity do the midrange speakers still work ? When I owned a pair of them I had them attached to an old Rotel amplifier that delivered about 30 W RMS per channel. Even with that I still managed to blow the tweeters. (Before anyone starts, I do realise there are situations where a low powered amp can cause a tweeter to blow !)

In fairness even if you have a very powerful amplifier attached to them, the likelihood of it being cranked up to full volume is slim. But accidents can happen.

Ken

Advertisement