Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work this Summer in Spain?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi all im planing on hitting Spain for the summer and was wondering is there any particular time that's best to get a job like when the season starts any info would be really helpful tanks :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have to have picked the worst country in Europe for a summer job, don't you read the newspapers or listen to the news on radio/TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamsey87

man d bar work on d coast near beaches will always have business like every one goes there for their summer breaks shouldn't be to bad sure if it fails it still a few weeks in the sun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

jamsey87 wrote: »
    man d bar work on d coast near beaches will always have business like every one goes there for their summer breaks shouldn't be to bad sure if it fails it still a few weeks in the sun :D

Yes that highly skilled bar work obviously needs your superior skills. The fact that there's 50% unemployment in the area won't affect your chances of getting bar work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The chances of you getting a job in a bar on the Costas is just about NIL.
    Spanish will usually only hire their own and any of the Irish / English bar slots will have been spoken for already.

But God loves a tryer, so best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jamsey87 wrote: »
    hi all im planing on hitting Spain for the summer and was wondering is there any particular time that's best to get a job like when the season starts any info would be really helpful tanks :cool:

Moved from Travel to Work & Jobs where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The chances of you getting a job in a bar on the Costas is just about NIL.
    Spanish will usually only hire their own and any of the Irish / English bar slots will have been spoken for already.

But God loves a tryer, so best of luck.

I wouldn't agree with this, especially to say that the OP has no chance whatsoever to get a job on the coast. There are lots of Irish and English pubs who will only hire English/Irish nationals. And I don't think it is fair to say that all the jobs are already spoken for- this is seasonal work and the nature of it is that the hours are long and the wages low. Which means that tons of people who spent last season out there won't be back as they now realise working in a Spanish resort isn't all it is cracked up to be- 6 day weeks with 60+ hour working weeks are the norm out there so lots of people, a majority I would say, only ever do one season. So the bar owners need fresh blood, all the better for the OP provided they're willing to work hard.

OP the best way to get these jobs is undoubtedly to go out there and start trekking around bars and asking owners/managers for work. If I were you I'd email a few of them in advance and find out when they tend to do their hiring as some resorts get busier earlier than others so it is difficult to tell when the best time is to head. But by asking people on the ground you'll get a good sense of when your timing would be at its best.

Another option is for you to do a Tefl course and teach english in Spain, though maybe not on the Costas. There is lots of work for english teachers in Spain at the moment as lots of Spaniards are emigrating and they need a second language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I'm only going by what I have seen out there over the last 13 years of living, working and holidays.
    The unemployment levels are very high and much higher than they are here and a lot of the English / Irish people who have been living out there for a while are queing up to fill any places that come up for some extra cash.
    My advise to the OP would be to put the word out locally that they are looking to go over to work in a bar and hope that someone will put them in touch with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anaspain

spanish family with 3 kids looking for an irish au pair to live in Spain from sept/oct 2013, Mornings free beacuse kids are in school. More info: anaspainireland@hotmail.com

Advertisement