Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a List of Images in Microsoft Word

Options
  • 24-02-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum;

I have a lot of images in a document, possibly hundreds; the image titles are all formatted with a particular style.

Is it possible to create a list of images that uses the style to create the list automatically?

Hardly?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

off topic - not a solution more of a different way to attack the problem

when I've a word document with lots of pictures one trick is to open it up in openoffice / libreoffice and then save it as a web page

saving as html separates out the images into their on screen sizes
    and not using word cleans out a lot of html crud

the problem then becomes parsing a html document - this may / may not be easier to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

In the table of contents?

References > Table of Contents Right click on it and select Edit Field > Table of contents > options and the select the style you have used for the captions as No 1.

sCDslTZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

In the table of contents?

References > Table of Contents Right click on it and select Edit Field > Table of contents > options and the select the style you have used for the captions as No 1.

sCDslTZ.png

Thanks, I will try this, although I already have a TOC. I`ll give it go in a little while when everything else done (sort of) :D

You can have more than one TOC IIRC, each with different settings. There may be a better way to do this, but it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

You can have more than one TOC IIRC, each with different settings. There may be a better way to do this, but it should work.

Thanks Kenny, this worked.

Although many Images became embedded in the TOC. I just deleted them. And it got the page numbers wrong; edited manual.

I cannot get my head around the built in labeling system in WORD for Images , this is why I used styles. Thanks.

• Advertisement

If the images have the same style applied they will also appear in the TOC. I use one style for images/photos and this is then automatically followed by a caption style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Which version of Word are you using OP? I use this way for Word 2007, but it should be OK for 2010 as well.

The handiest way (I find) is to select the image, then insert a caption (References --> Captions group --> Insert Caption).

When you have a load of captions built up, navigate to the page where your table of figures should go, go to the Captions group again, click "Insert Table of Figures" and click OK.

EDIT: As the table of figures changes, just right click, choose "Update Field" and update the entire table.

Advertisement