Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slim Won't Power On - Red Light On PSU

Options
  • 24-02-2013 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

As above, I've a slim here that is stock. Over the weekend it turned off & won't turn back on. The chime sounds when you hit the power button, but then the light on the psu turns red & the console won't boot. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    As above, I've a slim here that is stock. Over the weekend it turned off & won't turn back on. The chime sounds when you hit the power button, but then the light on the psu turns red & the console won't boot. Any ideas?

Try another PSU sounds like its power related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

justryan wrote: »
    Try another PSU sounds like its power related

I'll have to try get a lend of one...only have the phat type psu's here spare. So you reckon the console itself sounds maybe ok & its a psu issue?

I'll have to try get a lend of one...only have the phat type psu's here spare. So you reckon the console itself sounds maybe ok & its a psu issue?

I'd say the console is fine your getting the bing sound when you press the rol - and the red light on the PSU usually indicates a problem with it

I'd say the console is fine your getting the bing sound when you press the rol - and the red light on the PSU usually indicates a problem with it

Fingers crossed so, cheers JR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Like more than most, I do wish that it's not a big issue and is just the PSU :(

For what it's worth though the bing on power button is a very very low level function, not indicative of the health of the console. I've a failed DemoN install here, it bings but the board is so dead the CPU fan doesn't even move. That being said the PSU light doesn't go red which usually does indicate a fault with the power supply :)

• Advertisement

For what it's worth though the bing on power button is a very very low level function, not indicative of the health of the console

So the console could still be borked? Drat. I'll hopefully get a lend of one during the week to say for sure

Like more than most, I do wish that it's not a big issue and is just the PSU :(

For what it's worth though the bing on power button is a very very low level function, not indicative of the health of the console. I've a failed DemoN install here, it bings but the board is so dead the CPU fan doesn't even move. That being said the PSU light doesn't go red which usually does indicate a fault with the power supply :)

I reckon your Slim has a nand/smc problem, I experienced similar problems when doing the nandwitch hack on my own Slim.

I reckon your Slim has a nand/smc problem, I experienced similar problems when doing the nandwitch hack on my own Slim.

Just tried another PSU there, console powered on fine. So unless the nand/smc is somehow causing the the PSU to fail over time...the PSU seems to be the prob?

Just tried another PSU there, console powered on fine. So unless the nand/smc is somehow causing the the PSU to fail over time...the PSU seems to be the prob?

Sorry if it wasnt clear I was talking about TVs demon Xbox Slim

Sorry if it wasnt clear I was talking about TVs demon Xbox Slim

Ah my bad man, didn't notice the quote :o

So is ebay the best bet for buying a new PSU or are there better alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ah my bad man, didn't notice the quote :o

So is ebay the best bet for buying a new PSU or are there better alternatives?

Go official, call Microsoft and shell out €25. You get the year warranty with it too :)

Go official, call Microsoft and shell out €25. You get the year warranty with it too :)

Yeah there doesn't seem to be any alternative, I'm not gone on the idea of getting one from ebay - you've no idea what your getting. Cheers TV

Done. Sage advice as always TV :cool:

Advertisement