Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good viewing sites within an hours drive of Dulblin

Options
  • 24-02-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

My son is really getting into astronomy now.. But we need some nice safe sites with dark skies to take him. ideally within an hours or half hours drive from north dublin.
    i called into the astronomy ireland shop a while ago to ask and they said we would have to join before they would tell us.
    Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Hello,

The Dublin Stargazers meet up group (WWW.meetup.com/the-dublin-stargazers-group) goes to the sugar loaf carpark and golf links road. Neither are completely dark but are quite good for sites close to Dublin.

You can join for free but if you stay on you will be asked to make a small contribution to the cos of the meetup group site.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

That sounds great.
    Can you join it without facebook though?

I wouldnt mind giving those guys money.

Its Astronomy Ireland who I have a problem with giving money to. I worked for them one summer during college and if I told you what we found out about them during that time your toes would curl up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

I've had a look at their website and you can sign up using an email address.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Bellewstown hill near Gormanstown is a good viewing place. There is some public lighting but its not intrusive. The big advantage is that you can view from horizon to horizon. It is also very convenient to North Dublin (exit 7 off the M1).

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Bellewstown hill near Gormanstown is a good viewing place. There is some public lighting but its not intrusive. The big advantage is that you can view from horizon to horizon. It is also very convenient to North Dublin (exit 7 off the M1).

That would be a perfect location for me.
    Do you have the GPS coordinates or a map for the viewing loaction. Thanks.
    Looking for a good spot ti view Comet Panstarrs when it comes up in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

The fairways of powerscourt golf course (you're not technically supposed to be there but it's a great spot)

MMAGirl wrote: »
    That would be a perfect location for me.
    Do you have the GPS coordinates or a map for the viewing loaction. Thanks.
    Looking for a good spot ti view Comet Panstarrs when it comes up in March.
    The best viewing point on Bellewstown hill is on the racecourse. This is public (commonage) land so there is no issue with trespassing. There is also an internal road inside the racetrack with open unfenced ground inside that again. The GPS given below are at the best viewing point which I found which is on the internal road. Coordinates for sat-nav are:- N 53°38'45.00 W 6°20'44.42.

You should take a trip there sometime during daylight hours to survey the area. The views are stunning anyway and worth the trip. Good luck.

The best viewing point on Bellewstown hill is on the racecourse. This is public (commonage) land so there is no issue with trespassing. There is also an internal road inside the racetrack with open unfenced ground inside that again. The GPS given below are at the best viewing point which I found which is on the internal road. Coordinates for sat-nav are:- N 53°38'45.00 W 6°20'44.42.

You should take a trip there sometime during daylight hours to survey the area. The views are stunning anyway and worth the trip. Good luck.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely go out there. Should be good fun with the comets this year too. Should be a "Boards astronomy meet" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I can second the suggestion for Dublin Stargazers. Met some members at the Galway Star Party earlier this month.

Out Bellewstown direction is pretty dark. I'm in Julianstown and I get great skies.

I'll hop over and meetup whenever you plan on going if you wanted some numbers for safety.

And a bit of advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

i called into the astronomy ireland shop a while ago to ask and they said we would have to join before they would tell us.

Seriously? Wow. Not cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Coordinates for sat-nav are:- N 53°38'45.00 W 6°20'44.42.

Looks nice indeed!! thanks for the tip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Kersh wrote: »
    I can second the suggestion for Dublin Stargazers. Met some members at the Galway Star Party earlier this month.

Out Bellewstown direction is pretty dark. I'm in Julianstown and I get great skies.

I'll hop over and meetup whenever you plan on going if you wanted some numbers for safety.

And a bit of advice!
    Count me in aswell :)

Thanks for that. I'll definitely go out there. Should be good fun with the comets this year too. Should be a "Boards astronomy meet" :)
    Just a bit of advice; this is a dark and relatively isolated place which makes it great for viewing but try to organise a group for safety. I've never heard of anything happening there but it's always better to be in a group, not only for security but also for exchange of information.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Nerro wrote: »
    Count me in aswell :)

Me too:)

Anyone fancy heading out tonight later on?Met.ie shows clear spells but you never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

me too! if i can get a car for tonight i'll post

Anyone fancy heading out tonight later on?Met.ie shows clear spells but you never know...

Where you thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

no car tonight but defo up for this, 8" newt need exercise! owner needs practice!

Kersh wrote: »
    Where you thinking?
    Sugar Loaf???

Sugar Loaf???

I'll try organise transport.

• Advertisement

Can't get out there, so gonna do a bit here. Might drag out the 12" Dob. :)

Advertisement