Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque from Dept of Social Protection - where cashable?

Options
  • 23-02-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

When you get a cheque sent out from the Dept of Social Protection does it have a specific bank that it's cashable at?
    That is to say, since I have a course starting, a cheque has apparently been sent to me and I want to know how to get it transfered into being money. Lady in dole office said lodge it into your own bank, but that means 3 days before it clears doesn't it?

Since this is Galway, is it cashable in the Eyre Square Bank of Ireland or Post office?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Stevolende wrote: »
    When you get a cheque sent out from the Dept of Social Protection does it have a specific bank that it's cashable at?
    That is to say, since I have a course starting, a cheque has apparently been sent to me and I want to know how to get it transfered into being money. Lady in dole office said lodge it into your own bank, but that means 3 days before it clears doesn't it?

Since this is Galway, is it cashable in the Eyre Square Bank of Ireland or Post office?

I lodged a cheque from them yesterday. And it was in my account yesterday. Aib bank but not sure that matters. Just go into your bank to lodge it, and you can withdraw it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Not sure if that happens anywhere other than your own home branch. I think otherwise it does take a few days.

One factor has been that my bank branch is pretty remote from the course location, & the centre of town is closer. Not wanting to miss more time from the course than I need to. But on the other hand actually having money I need to eat is probably a pretty important factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Not sure if that happens anywhere other than your own home branch. I think otherwise it does take a few days.

One factor has been that my bank branch is pretty remote from the course location, & the centre of town is closer. Not wanting to miss more time from the course than I need to.
    So what are you trying to say?

Probably taht I'll just have to take time out to make the longer trek . I re-edited the earlier posting you just replied to probably at the time you were editing it.

What I am trying to ask though is is there a place in town that will cash that cheque, there always used to be but it's been a while since I've had that come up. I'm not sure if the Dept cheques come out on a Bank oF Ireland account or what, since I think they used to do so it meant that they could be cashed at the Eyre Square branch. At least when they were under a differently designated dept. Would think there are probably other people who are interested in whether or not there is a place where they can be cashed. Seems cashing of cheques has been something that has been closed down on over the last few years. It used to be something taht various supermarkets and shops could do for people.

Ass far as I understand it pretty much any cheque that you take to a branch other than your own home one will take time to clear.

So I'm hoping i'm not going to have to take the longer trek which would have to be during course time. I think that's pretty straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Surely you could cash it in a post office, just bring photo id

• Advertisement

yeah seems you can, had that confirmed in central post office this afternoon. & there's a post office about 5 minutes walk from the training centre. Don't know why the lady in the Dole office couldn't tell me they were cashable in them when I asked her.
    My own bank branch is other side of town to training centre.

there's a post office about 5 minutes walk from the training centre.

The address on cheques being cashed in the post office have to belong to the same postal district as the post office. Just so you know!

Well lady in post office said I should be able to cash it in any Galway post office, wouldn't be able to take it to Dublin. But as long as it was within Galway should be ok. So hope that's right.

The address on cheques being cashed in the post office have to belong to the same postal district as the post office. Just so you know!

That was information I was looking for when I asked the initial question so thanks for that. Just hope that since Galway has no postal code yet, what the l;ady in the post office said is true. & I think it so happens that the post office handy to the training centre would be the one technically closest to the home address though I think that's more coincidence and lack of post offices around town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Have on a few occasions had a cheque or 2 from DSP cashed in different counties. Recently being one sent to my home in Kildare but I was in a hurry to get up to Dublin. No problem changing in Dublin. Same with one a few years ago when I was living in Longford. Np changing in a different post office in a different county.

• Advertisement

I was told in the clossest branch of the bank that yes it would take time to process money being put into the account. Possibly a courtesy thing taht they do it faster at your own branch (as in the physical branch that your account is registered to).

But cheque is indeed cashable at a post office with photo I.D.
    So that's good then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I lodged a cheque from them yesterday. And it was in my account yesterday. Aib bank but not sure that matters. Just go into your bank to lodge it, and you can withdraw it straight away.

Did you use the automatic lodgement machine (like the ATM machine) or via the cashier?

Advertisement