Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Management - evening / part-time

Options
  • 22-02-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I have a Degree in Structural Enginnering and have been working in the construction industry for the last nine years. I feel that I have reach a ceiling with my qualifications.

I want to move up the management chain within the industry. Has anyone from an engineering/science profession done a part-time/evening business course?

I've lookied into MBA but the fees are high. I haven't ruled it out yet.
    Ideally I'd like to get a Diploma or other recognised qualification.

Any ideas or feedback is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

con1982 wrote: »
    I have a Degree in Structural Enginnering and have been working in the construction industry for the last nine years. I feel that I have reach a ceiling with my qualifications.

I want to move up the management chain within the industry. Has anyone from an engineering/science profession done a part-time/evening business course?

I've lookied into MBA but the fees are high. I haven't ruled it out yet.
    Ideally I'd like to get a Diploma or other recognised qualification.

Any ideas or feedback is appreciated

I am in my final stretch of a Masters in Management from Smurfit. Its a friday and saturday a month which seems to be much easier than evenings (http://www.smurfitschool.ie/mastersprogrammes/generalmanagement/masterinmanagementparttime/)

Its a decent course, with a fairly sizeable workload.

Alternatively a friend of mine has recently completed a masters in Engineering managment in UCD (http://www.ucd.ie/mem/)

Depends what your after. If you have any queries on the MiM course let me know.

FYI - I'm a civil engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Thanks for your feedback.

Having done some further comparisons of institutes and courses, I think a post graduate diploma or similar is my only realistic option. I just couldn't afford 6k+ for a masters.

The most economic course I can find is Management Post Graduate Diploma by CMI (2,900e). It's a 30wk course part-time.

IBAT do a Graduate Diploma in Management Studies for about 3,700e over 2 years, part-time.

Are certain institutes regarded in higher standing in the business community? Do employers value business qualifications from the traditional institutes such as DIT, UCD, TCD in a different light than DBS, IBAT, CMI ?

Advertisement