Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Golf 1.9 TDi 60k miles service

Options
  • 22-02-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

My 2008 Golf 1.9 TDi is just about to hit 60k miles. I do not have the VW service manual for it so checking what needs to be done at this milestone. My understanding is that the timing belt needs to be changed and if so should there be other things done other than normal service. I found a reference on a site recommending replacing the water pump at same time even if it is working ok.

What would you recommend? I am taking to an independent garage so want to be specific (and sound knowledgable) about what I need done.

Thank you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The dealers do a kit - timing belt, tensioner, drive belts, water-pump, etc. Worth investing in as well as the G13 / G12++ coolant.

The water-pump is reconditioned unit so you get money back when you give them the old one. 60k miles / 5 years sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Timing belt kit and water pump are now due if they haven't already been done. Allow €350 or so to have this job done using genuine VW parts.

Service-wise it all depends on the previous service history of the car. Obviously you will need the engine oil and filter changed but other items like air, fuel or cabin filters may or may not be needed as well depending on previous history.

Another service item that is often overlooked is a brake fluid change so that may also be due.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to use a trusted garage and let them make the call on what exactly needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Great thanks everyone. Going to try get this done next week. I will post details on all work and costs when complete.

Sorry for delay updating but I did get this work done at VW. Cost was €330 incl VAT and they did the timing belt and water pump. They said work was due at 150,000kms or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Did they service it also at that price? If so it was very good value....

• Advertisement

Moanin wrote: »
    Did they service it also at that price? If so it was very good value....

I wish! Service was extra. I did their special "Major Service".

Advertisement