Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My brother's Stanley is hotter than mine!

Options
  • 22-02-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Brother got a Stanley Cara insert a few months ago instead of his open fire and the heat is fantastic from it. So much so, that I decided to replace our gas fire with the same Cara insert model. The heat from my brothers fire is definitely more intense and he uses just sticks whereas I'm using coal. The rooms are of similar size too (about 14 ft by 16 ft) so that's not an issue, but there is certainly more radiant heat from his fire.
    Could I be losing more heat up the chimney than he is? If so, what can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I think it's a competitive thing! My brother is always trying to be better than me too!

Re your stove, it can only be site parameters are variant or manufacturing flaw, but more than likely site conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 king samuel

Heh heh heh. Yeah there is that too!

Wouldn't be anything to do with the positioning of the baffles would it? I suppose there would be smoke coming into the room then. Still a nice bit of heat from it, just not as hot as my brothers! At least I'm younger than him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Does either of you live in a Bungalow ? As the draw wouldn't be as good as from the Chimney in a two story House.

I'm in a semidetached two story and he lives in a detached two story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I'm in a semidetached two story and he lives in a detached two story.

See, I told you it was a competitive thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

it down to your fuel choices while your coal has a higher calorfic value than wood and gives out more heat per kg burned. but it burns more slowly than the wood. so the wood is releasing its heat faster into the room than the coal which is what you are feeling .next time your with your brother rob a bag of sticks on the qt and you will see what i mean

Thanks Dathi,
    Coincidentally I purchased a bulk load of logs last night and threw a few on. Took a while to burn so I assumed they were a bit damp. I left about 15 logs on the hearth to dry out a bit last night. I lit the fire again this morning with some coal until it got going a bit and then I started to horse in the logs. Hey presto, roaring heat. Yes they do burn up quicker but not hugely so and are significantly cheaper than coal ( about €2 a bag and I should get two days fire per bag). Thanks for the heads up anyway. Still needed an odd shovel of coal as well but nothing like before.
    Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

sky6 wrote: »
    Does either of you live in a Bungalow ? As the draw wouldn't be as good as from the Chimney in a two story House.

Sorry op, I made an ass of that meant to say that the draw on a Bungalow Chimney would not be as good as the draw on a two story house.
    Also if there are large Trees close or the house in surrounded by any hills.
    All if these issues have an effect on how a Chimney performs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Thanks Dathi,
    Coincidentally I purchased a bulk load of logs last night and threw a few on. Took a while to burn so I assumed they were a bit damp. I left about 15 logs on the hearth to dry out a bit last night. I lit the fire again this morning with some coal until it got going a bit and then I started to horse in the logs. Hey presto, roaring heat. Yes they do burn up quicker but not hugely so and are significantly cheaper than coal ( about €2 a bag and I should get two days fire per bag). Thanks for the heads up anyway. Still needed an odd shovel of coal as well but nothing like before.
    Happy days.
    Don't burn damp logs. Gonna cause problems in your chimney.

Advertisement