Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-BOOKS MEGA DISCUSSION THREAD ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Options
  • 22-02-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno if there are many posters who are reading the current X-men titles so this could fall flat on it's face, but I thought it might be better to have a thread for discussion of the happenings in the current X-Titles (If someone wants to start an Avengers or Spider-man, and the Mods don't mind feel free.) instead of clogging up the 'What are you currently reading?' thread, and possibly spoiling an issue for someone.

As of this post the releases have been: (I am possibly missing some or the numbers are off so if someone wants to correct me feel free.)

*All New X-men #7
    *Cable and X-Force #4
    *Gambit #8
    *Savage Wolverine #2
    *Uncanny X-Force #1
    *Uncanny X-Men #1
    *Wolverine and the X-men #25
    *X-Factor #252
    *X-Men Legacy #4

**I think anything that has happened in these books up to and including these issues should be open for discussion and fair game for spoilers, and the only time I would recommend the use of spoiler tags would be if you have heard or read of details of upcoming storylines**

**FINAL WARNING....SPOILERS FROM POST 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

.....So Magneto, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Two things bout Magneto.... I'm not sure how i feel about his new costume...but i like the idea of his turning on Scott

On another note, I'm loving how Bobby is looking now. Love the icicles being implemented in his design. I didnt know what to think bout Bendis writing two x-books but the man is doing a stand up job in my opinion

I think the idea makes sense as well, Magneto is very egotistical and would be p*ssed about losing his powers and Cyclops taking on his role as the mutant revolutionary....although if I was to criticise it he is the obvious choice, and if Hill knows who he is when she is interrogating him why does he speak about himself in third person?:D

The Magneto costume just looks like Bachalo went back to his AOA and Ultimate War designs and slapped them together, so I am not too pushed on it, agree on iceman though I was never a fan of the snowman version...or the one where you couldn't even see his hair...the icicle version even makes him look more powerful. From other stuff I have read I appear to be in the minority here but I am a big fan of the new Cyclops costume.

Does Bachalo colour his own art?....he seems to get the worst colouring jobs, I can't actually remember a decent one since the early issues of his initial run on Uncanny.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think the idea makes sense as well, Magneto is very egotistical and would be p*ssed about losing his powers and Cyclops taking on his role as the mutant revolutionary....although if I was to criticise it he is the obvious choice, and if Hill knows who he is when she is interrogating him why does he speak about himself in third person?:D

The Magneto costume just looks like Bachalo went back to his AOA and Ultimate War designs and slapped them together, so I am not too pushed on it, agree on iceman though I was never a fan of the snowman version...or the one where you couldn't even see his hair...the icicle version even makes him look more powerful. From other stuff I have read I appear to be in the minority here but I am a big fan of the new Cyclops costume.

Does Bachalo colour his own art?....he seems to get the worst colouring jobs, I can't actually remember a decent one since the early issues of his initial run on Uncanny.

To be fair the only more obvious choice would've been Emma, given her double crossing nature

It's more just the snowman iceman that i dislike. I'm ok with the version where you see the hair. It worked depending on the artist. But i love the current iteration.

I just dont get the X thing, like will his optic blasts come out like that now?

I dunno if Bachalo colours all his own art but he coloured Uncanny and it wasnt great

Thwip! wrote: »
    To be fair the only more obvious choice would've been Emma, given her double crossing nature

It's more just the snowman iceman that i dislike. I'm ok with the version where you see the hair. It worked depending on the artist. But i love the current iteration.

I just dont get the X thing, like will his optic blasts come out like that now?

I dunno if Bachalo colours all his own art but he coloured Uncanny and it wasnt great

Yeah....nobody would have cared if it was either of the two new recruits, and personally I don't know enough about Magik to say if it would have made sense or not. Bendis has me intrigued though, I like the idea of the two separate schools and it should be good when they come into contact, plus it is nice to have a Wolverine free book.

Although in saying that Wolverine and the X-men is probably my favourite X-book right now, and Wolverine as the headmaster is much better than the one dimensional Wolverine of old. I enjoy his relationship with Quire (although I am not too pushed on the character) and his scenes with young Cyclops in all new X-men 7 were really good.

Re Cyclops' costume....you gotta ignore the practicality dude and appreciate the aesthetic. ;)

• Advertisement

Oh dont get me wrong, i'm loving the books. I'm looking forward to seeing more with the new recruits tbh. They seem like cool additions to the cast

Oh i appreciate the aesthetic....but for him it should still have some use :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I used to read most of the X Books but I think I stopped around about the time they were attacked by dead members on Genosha and Kitty had just returned.
    Now the only one I read is X Factor which very rarely crosses over with the main stories. and when it does, it's usually very minor.

So is the story these days any good and have they tidied it up any?

The story is very good. Tiding up i cant confirm but Bendis is doing a marvellous job with the X-universe

Yeah Bendis is doing a good job so far, my only complaint would be that there is too much overlap between xbooks and non xbooks...I mean the Avengers have appeared in Wolverine and the xmen and are due to appear in All new Xmen too. I much preffred when they rarely ran into each other.

Am a big fan of Xfactor too but the current hell storyline hasn't got me too interested.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm not against the avengers showing up personally, but I get how if it's too frequent it would dilute the gravity of such and event.

I just read Uncanny X-men 2 and Savage Wolverine 2.

I won't spoiler Uncanny X-men (even though this is a spoilery thread, but seen as it's day 0 I'll wait). The only negative is for the first half of the book the art really annoyed me, then it either got better or I just started liking it. It's like it's trapped somewhere between what I'll call 'regular' superhero comic art and the extremely fun work of the likes of Guillory on Chew.
    I still enjoyed the shiz out of the story, Bendis is doing a great job, finally I like reading Cyclops again, Magneto is positioned great, the new characters seem like they could be at least reasonable. Anyway I'll leave it at that as to remain spoiler free for now.

Savage Wolverine, funnily enough is kinda the opposite, not completely the opposite just kinda. The art is keeping me turning pages more than the story, not to say I dislike the story but it's currently just breadcrumb trails between skirmishes. One of the better Wolverine titles though and as I said previously I'm happy to be reading a current X-title not set in suburbia.

• Advertisement

I think my issue is that I never really read Avengers, so it's strange to see them suddenly appearing in every book....stuff like the upcoming Age of Ultron crossover annoys me because it is an Avengers storyline, with an Avengers villain but it takes place in every comic bar the main Avengers ones...they are gonna go down the Wolverine/Deadpool overkill road with them. Or it might be that I really haven't gotten over them replacing the X-men as the main franchise. :D

As for the art in Uncanny....like I said in an earlier post I really think it is a colouring issue, I am a big fan of Bachalo and while I can see the argument by some people that his art has gotten worse the more cartoony it has become it was still a lot better in the late 90's/ early 2000's when the colouring was decent.

432566-uncanny_x_men_0354_super.jpg

1127082-uncan356__1__super.jpg

Not the best examples but it's actually hard to find interior artwork by Bachalo.

Well i guess the whole point of the aftermath of AvX is that Cap and the Avengers are gonna play the more active role in the x-men universe as they were called out on how they never really helped them with all the discrimination etc

I am after falling a bit behind with this so only read Uncanny Issue 3 today.....I think the Bendis enjoyment might be wearing off, the double bluff by Magneto kinda diluted his initial turn, and the background talk between Hawkeye and Ironman while Cyclops and Captain America squared off was no different to the teenagers background talk while Cyclops and Magneto squared off.

Also read Wolverine and The X-Men 26....I get that Wolverine's name is in the title but he has twenty odd other monthly titles that this story could have been told in.

Advertisement