Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage conversion, is planning required?

Options
  • 22-02-2013 1:00pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9

I'm hoping to convert a built-in garage in a bungalow into a bedroom. Obviously, this will result in the garage doo being replaced by a window. The bungalow is behind other houses and is not visible from the public roadway. Will I need planning permission for the conversion?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

crayola234 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to convert a built-in garage in a bungalow into a bedroom. Obviously, this will result in the garage doo being replaced by a window. The bungalow is behind other houses and is not visible from the public roadway. Will I need planning permission for the conversion?
    Depends on the council. Sketch a rough plan, take a picture of the house/ garage in context, mark the site on a google map and write a clear brief explanation of what you intend to do - when describing the finishes use words like 'will match existing'
    then Ring your local council, ask who the planner for your area is and email them directly with the info above.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 crayola234

I can try that, but will the planner give me something in writing to confirm that I don't need planning, if that was his/her decision? I'm trying to ensure that there's no issues about this, if I should sell the house in a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can try that, but will the planner give me something in writing to confirm that I don't need planning, if that was his/her decision? I'm trying to ensure that there's no issues about this, if I should sell the house in a number of years.
    You can get a formal response by way of a Section 5 Declaration. Basically you fill in a form, attach a couple of sketches and a fee of €80 (I think) and the Planning Authority will confirm in writing if the proposal is exempted development or not.

Give your local planning office a call and they'll advise you accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Basically, the conversion of the garage into habitable space may be considered exempted development under Class 1 of the second schedule, (SI no. 600 of 2001), but the changing of a garage door to a window is not covered in this or any of the exemptions mentioned.

However, some planning authorities may give you a letter of easement to cover the change. I believe if you ask for a declaration the LA will have no choice but to say that strictly speaking you need planning permission for the change. So dealing with it in a less formal manner, such as a letter of easement, would be the way to go, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I'm trying to ensure that there's no issues about this, if I should sell the house in a number of years.

At the time of sale the purchasers solicitors will seek an "Architects Opinion on Compliance / exemption with Planning Permission" (AOCPP)

This will be sought whether the works require(d) permission or did not.

So I would now seek that Opinion from an Architect. S/he will look at your situation on site and if charged with providing an AOCPP will determine for you what happens next.

In the simplest scenario s/he may agree in simple written instructions what the nature of works will be. You then have them done and then the AOPCC issues.

Or s/he may advise a Section 5 Declaration or even a full PP application. In time then after you then have the works done and then the AOPCC issues.

Proceeding without an AOPCC is the least wise move considering your stated aim qouted above.

Look here for an example of how undocumented alteration works can affect a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Basically, the conversion of the garage into habitable space may be considered exempted development under Class 1 of the second schedule, (SI no. 600 of 2001), but the changing of a garage door to a window is not covered in this or any of the exemptions mentioned.

However, some planning authorities may give you a letter of easement to cover the change. I believe if you ask for a declaration the LA will have no choice but to say that strictly speaking you need planning permission for the change. So dealing with it in a less formal manner, such as a letter of easement, would be the way to go, imo.

I'm sure there have been an bord pleanala determinations which state that the alterations of garage door to window are ancillary to the exempt conversion and are therefore exempt as well.

I must find a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm sure there have been an bord pleanala determinations which state that the alterations of garage door to window are ancillary to the exempt conversion and are therefore exempt as well.

I must find a link.
    I didn't know that, but it would make sense. Thanks syd, a link would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat wrote: »

I must find a link.
    There was one from a few years ago and I remember pointing it out to the local planning office and they issued a declaration that the conversion my client was looking for was exempt.

Its one of those many grey areas of the Acts where PA's opinions can vary - a bit like the development contribution scheme in a thread here yesterday. Some PA's charge for extensions and others don't.

A common sense approach is to ask the question - how can you convert your garage to a bedroom for example and have to retain a roller door in order that it may be exempt? I dont think the regs were ever intended to leave people in that situation.

Also regarding exempted conversions and extensions and one of the conditions which states that it is only exempt providing it doesnt alter the external appearance of the house - what about an exempted porch? Building a 2 m2 porch radically alters the front facade of any house yet it is deemed exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I have had the experience of obtaining retention permission for a client in advance of a sale. My clients knew they were about to sell and so - the application.

This was back in the far distant mid 00's so as soon as the permission granted the house went on sale same day and was sale agreed within 1 week.

The purchasers solicitor in possession of a retention permission with the ink still drying on it required an AOPCC....

Advertisement