Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting photography cervices at 16?

• 22-02-2013 11:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

I'm 16 and planning opening a simple photography buisness in Meath . It will consist of equestrian photography(hunter trials, competitions) I'm also registered with WPO (look it up) . Got an account on sage pay . I'm aware that you need to be 18 but I've got the equipment and a buisness plan . If I misspelled anything I'm sorry . Is there anything that you need to do . Nothing major . Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I'm 16 and planning opening a simple photography buisness in Meath . It will consist of equestrian photography(hunter trials, competitions) I'm also registered with WPO (look it up) . Got an account on sage pay . I'm aware that you need to be 18 but I've got the equipment and a buisness plan . If I misspelled anything I'm sorry . Is there anything that you need to do . Nothing major . Thank you.

Congrats!
    If you think you can do it, do it.

See this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

chances are the majority of potential customers/clients will not take you seriously at 16....it could take a number of years before you are taken seriously in the world of work, but then again...if you are always in the equestrian circles you have the opportunity build a business. (ie. depends on your connections)

you need to create a brand and build an online and offline persona.

having an account on sage pay doesn't actually mean you know anything about accounting - just like having a camera and lenses doesn't mean you know anything about photography.

As regards Equestrian Photography ... there was a MOD here before who was doing that ...Hugh Jack...or Jack Hugh or something like that - cant remember his Boards name but I'm sure others will be able to tell you.

Best of my knowledge.... he went back into the world of work - so be prepared to have a back-up plan....if photography fails for you !

Ps. you need to have your spelling and business skills at a high level to survive these days, being a photographer is not as simple as taking photos .... you must also advertise, market yourself, improve yourself, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Corkbah very true what you have says above, however she's young enough to start and her relatives are behind her (i assume so). Therefore even if her idea and "business" won't be profitable at the beginning, still I think she have 50% chances to became successful photographer. I'm not saying that it'll be easy - I would say it'll be very hard, but if you won't try you won't know.
    Also we didn't see her work, so it's hard to say anything regarding her photography skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

You cannot enter a legally binding contract until you're 18 - so the business implications of that need serious consideration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Lera Manukovskaya

Hi everyone . Thank you for answering my question . All of them were great ! Last answer (sorry forgot your nickname) . As I understood I have to be 18 to be able to sell pictures . I've sold recently a couple of pictures to Russia ( originally from there ) . About my work : I'm trying to set up a page on Facebook and add a couple of pictures just to see the reaction . I ve been asked to do some photography in cork/limerick so I'm not sure yet about that . Thank you .

• Advertisement
Advertisement