Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 22-02-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice on a situation myself and my partner are in at the moment

I am 25, working full time since I finished school, earning €27,000 (around €24,000 after tax) and living at home

My partner is 22, not currently working, is renting a house (€775 per month (€9,300 annually) with her 2 year old son and expecting another baby soon. At present she claims single parent family and rent allowance so has a income of around €1,100 per month (€13,000 annually)

We are looking to move in together with our new arrival coming soon but from what I can make of the situation my partner has not worked long enough to claim jobseekers and with 2 children to raise wouldnt actually be "job seeking" for the next year or so. In that case she would lose her single parent family entitlement and rent allowance and the only income she would have would be childrens allowance of €130 a month (€1500 per year) so that on top of my €24,000 would leave us little over €25,000 a year

Travel to and from work costs me €130+ weekly (€6,500 annually) and our rent would be €775 monthly (€9,300 annually) creche for the 2 year old (2 half days a week is €48 weekly (€2,200 annually) so that would leave less than €140 per week for heating, electricity and food for a family of 4 including a 2 year old a dn a newborn

I am looking for information on any benefits or support we could claim should we make this move or is it presumed that I am in full time employment so I should be supporting the entire family?

Any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think FIS.... Family Income Supplement, is the only help you might get.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html#l62fd2
    Family Income Supplement (FIS) is a weekly tax-free payment available to employees with children. It gives extra financial support to people on low pay. You cannot qualify for FIS if you are only self-employed - you must be an employee to qualify.
    You must have at least one child who normally lives with you or is financially supported by you. Your child must be under 18 years of age or between 18 and 22 years of age and in full-time education.
    To qualify for FIS, your average weekly family income must be below a certain amount for your family size. The FIS you receive is 60% of the difference between your average weekly family income and the income limit which applies to your family. For more information about average family income see ‘Rates’ below.
    If you are getting FIS you may also be entitled to the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance. Your FIS payment is not taxed. Your income from FIS is not taken into account in the assessment for a medical card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

...also dont forget your chaildrens allowance will have doubled

Advertisement