Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-installing Windows 7 over unlicensed version- recommended?

Options
  • 22-02-2013 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey, there.

If someone could help me with this little issue I’m having, it would be much appreciated.

Had some trouble with my laptop at the very start of this year- all applications were running extremely slowly, particularly IE, which was taking ages to load and regularly crashing. Other applications like Excel and Word were freezing/hanging regularly too.

I brought it to someone who, after a few days messing around with it, diagnosed that the hard drive was shot, and had to be replaced, which they did.

All my files were recovered, but different versions of Windows et al were installed.

The system recently has displayed that I’m using an illegal/invalid version of Windows.

I have a backup disc of Windows (with activation code) along with my system files that I received from Dell with my initial order.

Would it be recommended to reinstall this version of Windows, and would it have any potential effects on the system, or on my current files?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Backup your personal files, wipe the drive and install your legitimate version of Windows. Get rid of the pirated stuff.

If the online activation fails, do it over the phone and explain to a Microsoft representative what happened, you might as well give them name and address of the guy who dunnit. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If (and it's not a big if) the pirate version has a backdoor then you don't want to upgrade it. If it's got a dodgy setting/files that will come back and bite you in the future again you don't want to upgrade it.

nuke it and start afresh , in the long run you'll be saving time

Advertisement