Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner 405CX Vs. Forerunner 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The 405 is far superior. The 110 is a stop and go watch; that's all it does, stop and go. The 405 on the other hand supports advanced features, like intervals and advanced workouts. The main negative point about the 405 is that operating the bezel during a run can be quite frustrating.

If you are a technophobe who doesn't need anything but the most simple of functions then the 110 could be for you. Otherwise, go for the 405.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I have the 405, great device the bezel can be annoying at first but you will get use to it. As Krusty said the 10 is a basic watch just stop and go. If you went for the 10 you will want to upgrade soon after getting it because of the lack of features.

Sorry, read your initial mail as the Forerunner 110 (instead of the Forerunner 10). I believe that the Forerunner 10 offers slightly more functionality than the 110, particularly with a recent firmware update, but otherwise, the comparison above still strands true.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

So the 405 it is!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Wouldn't agree with the above at all, the 10 has nearly all the features you will ever use minus the stupid bezel on the 405. Even with the major reduction on the 405 in link above its still very expensive.

The 10 is the way to go unless there is some feature you desperately need that it doesn't have.
    It's also waterproof unlike the 405.

In depth review here

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with the above at all, the 10 has...
    If you want anything but the most basic functionality, you'll need something that supports advanced workouts. The Forerunner 10 doesn't. The Forerunner 405 does. The Forerunner 10 is a great entry level watch at a great price-point, but it is most suited for those that need basic functionality. The 10 may be waterproof to 50m, but doesn't support tracking your swimming. The Forerunner 405 is rated to IPX7 (15 minutes under 1 meter of water). I used mine day in day out for 5 years (8,000+ miles) in Irish weather conditions and never had a problem.

I've had the 405 for 5 years or so too and never used the 'advanced features', most people who have them never do. They aren't 'technophobes', they just don't need the features.

As I said the OP needs to look at the differences and work out whether he needs any of the missing features. Could find that he doesn't. He may also want to be able to wear it for swim portion of triathlon for example which you couldn't with a 405.

People just saying get the dear one, without even knowing if OP needs the features isnt very helpful IMO.

Well lads to be honest my main priority is to get a watch to accurately measures my distance/time/pace so I can improve in training and run to the max of my potential come race day.

I was edging to the 405 due to the heart rate monitor included and the advantages, I have read, that can be utilized in training by having one and I don’t mind spending the extra bit of bob for this if its going to help?

Ultimately though I'm clueless when it comes to Garmins?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

TBH if yo go with the 405 you'll be future proofing having to upgrade down the road. Esp if you start introducing intervals into your training or you want to train using Heart Rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

antomagoo wrote: »
    TBH if yo go with the 405 you'll be future proofing having to upgrade down the road. Esp if you start introducing intervals into your training or you want to train using Heart Rate

i got the timex run trainer with hrm about a year ago. used the hrm for a while, but it can be a little annoying and i haven't used it in about 8 months.

It also has advanced features such as interval programming, but I've never used them cos we find out on the nuhht what the session is and its too much hassle to attempt to program it.
    Simply turning off autolap and hitting the lap button on each interval works fine.

What it does have that i do use, is ability to display 4 customizable fields. I'm happy I got it for that but don't really need too many of the extra functions.

I also borrowed a 405 before purchase and couldn't stand the bezel so that helped me decide to steer clear of it.

So consider carefully what you will need and use, then base your decision off that.

• Advertisement

Every review I read seems to talk about the bezel at some point, is it really that much of an issue?

It's a shockingly bad design and they have gotten rid of it on all new watches. It reacts to sweat, water etc. However you can disable it, I enable it to go in to training mode before a run then disable it straight away.

I've had the 405 for 5 years or so too and never used the 'advanced features', most people who have them never do. They aren't 'technophobes', they just don't need the features.
    The FR405 supports advanced workouts, intervals, simple navigation, ANT+ connectivity (heart rate monitor, bike sensor, cadence sensor etc). The FR10 does not support any of these features. The fact that you did not use them just points to the fact that you did not use the watch to its potential. The FR405 is currently one of the cheapest watches in the Garmin range.

Thousands and thousands of Garmin users (including DC Rainmaker who you linked to) use these features all of the time. Personally, I use them very regularly and don't think my running would have progressed as much over recent years without them. As I said, if you need a 'stop' and 'go' watch, then the FR10 is a better buy. If you think you will use more advanced features, then the FR10 is not as good a purchase.
    BenMichael wrote:
    Every review I read seems to talk about the bezel at some point, is it really that much of an issue?
    It is a bad design and an annoyance. Having said that, I logged 8,000+ miles over 5 years on my watch (and it's still going strong in my friend's hands) and copacetic seems to have managed with his for 5 years. If you want to avoid the bezel and want a Forerunner with advanced workouts/ANT+ capabilities, then you can either look out for a second-hand 305, or pay more for a 310/610/910xt. Or else forgo the advanced workouts and settle for a stop and go watch. I would advise you to borrow someone's watch and give it a spin before you buy. Then you can decide for yourself.

People just saying get the dear one, without even knowing if OP needs the features isnt very helpful IMO.
    :confused: You don't think it is helpful to list the features of the watch? You think it is more helpful to tell the user what you think they will or will not use?
    Perhaps BenMichael will figure out how to press the right buttons? ;)

Thousands and thousands of Garmin users (including DC Rainmaker who you linked to) use these features all of the time. Personally, I use them very regularly and don't think my running would have progressed as much over recent years without them. As I said, if you need a 'stop' and 'go' watch, then the FR10 is a better buy. If you think you will use more advanced features, then the FR10 is not as good a purchase.

Damn you! Looking at those links has made me want one even more now! :D

:confused: You don't think it is helpful to list the features of the watch? You think it is more helpful to tell the user what you think they will or will not use?
    Perhaps BenMichael will figure out how to press the right buttons? ;)

I think it's very helpful, but you didn't list them until I pointed out it wasn't being helpful. They aren't 'advanced features' for advanced runners, they are just extra features. Useful to the few, not the many.

As for the sly digs about not being able to press the right buttons, I'm sure I'm more technically minded than you are, I just don't need or use the features. They only one that is actually a useful missing one from the 10 is the ant+ IMO.
    I didn't buy the 405 to use it 'to its potential', I bought it to do what I want, like most people do and to replace a 305, which replaced the timex first ever gps system available. Each one with a better form factor.

I think it's very helpful, but you didn't list them until I pointed out it wasn't being helpful. They aren't 'advanced features' for advanced runners, they are just extra features. Useful to the few, not the many.

As for the sly digs about not being able to press the right buttons, I'm sure I'm more technically minded than you are, I just don't need or use the features. They only one that is actually a useful missing one from the 10 is the ant+ IMO.
    I didn't buy the 405 to use it 'to its potential', I bought it to do what I want, like most people do and to replace a 305, which replaced the timex first ever gps system available. Each one with a better form factor.

It was just a joke, hence the winkey-face. No offence intended. I'm sure you're more technically minded than I am. The truth is though, that you don't have to be technically minded to use these features; as they are very easy to use. The problem with modern day technology (and I'm talking generally, not aiming this comment at you at all) is that nobody is bothered to read manuals any more. Nobody goes to the trouble of learning how to use the piece of technology they have purchased properly. It started around the time of programmable VCRs and has disimproved since. We are becoming the dumbed down generation, who will choose the safety and comfort of an iPhone, because we want all of the answers handed to us on a cute a cuddly plate. I grew up taking PCs apart, scripting and programming before I was a teenager. My son will probably go to uni next year to study computers and couldn't replace a RAM chip. /rant over

Anyway, I digress. I've been using the advanced workouts consistently since 2008 on my 405 and 910 (the format is exactly the same across all watches) and have found them invaluable, particularly if you train on your own, and/or don't have access to a track. Sure, they won't be for everyone, but one thing is for certain, if you don't have the feature on your watch, you will never find out if you would have used it or not. I'm happy to provide tutorials to anyone who would like to get to know how to use advanced workouts (which I have been doing for many years already on this forum).

Advertisement