Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Doherty Money Match - Feb 22nd 7pm

Options
  • 22-02-2013 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

I suppose this is aimed more at people in the Dublin area but thought i'd let any snooker fans know that Ken Doherty will be playing a money match this Friday, Feb 22nd in Terry Rodgers snooker club, Fairview, Dublin. 7pm start. He will be playing 3-time national amateur champion Martin McCrudden, 5-grand a man, 10 grand for the winner. Martin will be getting 17 start from Ken, best of 13 frames.

Basically a good chance for anybody to watch Ken in a meaningful match, no admission charge, so anyone who loves their snooker could do worse than pop down to watch it, will be a good crowd at it and a good buzz on the night.

Big money matches were fairly routine in Ireland during the 80s, 90s and even 00's but have disappeared to an extent, so it's good to see them re-emerge. There were some fantastic money matches back in the day between amateurs, the likes of Johnny Farrell, Carl Murphy, etc used to play some high pressure big stakes money games.

It's hard to know the betting on the match, Martin is obviously a superb player capable of giving Ken a good match off levels, never mind with 17 start, on the flip side Ken came into some form with the recent quarter-final in the Welsh Open and is the best snooker player we have ever produced. If i had to make a prediction i would go 7-5 to Ken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Just to note i am told this match will be Live Streamed on the web, so anybody not from Dublin or who can't make it, i will try post the link here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Sounds excellent. Are Rogers doing betting on this match?. Terry would be rolling in his grave if they weren't!.
    Would you reckon you'd be able to bring in a pint from Gaffneys!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Betting will be taken on the night and a full bar service will be available.

zack01 wrote: »
    Betting will be taken on the night and a full bar service will be available.

Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

shame its friday, i would have gone to see this. on a side note, its good to see ken back in form :)

• Advertisement

I presume a large % of McCruddens 5k would be from backers?. Would there be gamblers that would just stake him for a %

I presume a large % of McCruddens 5k would be from backers?. Would there be gamblers that would just stake him for a %

well Martin won the recent pro-am in Royal Navan club last week for €1,500. Beat Paddy Wallace in semis and Rodney Goggins in final. Btw Stephen Lee was in that tournament and lost in the semi-final to Rodney! Stephen Lee playing a lot and practising a lot with some of our top amateurs lately (and i believe living here, though open to correction).

I would assume that he is being backed though for some of it, either by the likes of Phil Martin who owns Celbridge Snooker or others. Can't see him fronting the full 5k. I'm sure anybody wanting a piece of the action could approach him and ask to buy a piece!!

well Martin won the recent pro-am in Royal Navan club last week for €1,500. Beat Paddy Wallace in semis and Rodney Goggins in final. Btw Stephen Lee was in that tournament and lost in the semi-final to Rodney! Stephen Lee playing a lot and practising a lot with some of our top amateurs lately (and i believe living here, though open to correction).

I would assume that he is being backed though for some of it, either by the likes of Phil Martin who owns Celbridge Snooker or others. Can't see him fronting the full 5k. I'm sure anybody wanting a piece of the action could approach him and ask to buy a piece!!

McCrudden is being backed and backed very heavy by the owners of Fairview Snooker Club. There will be a bookie down there tonight so anybody wanting a piece of the action will be well catered for.

Regarding Stephen Lee, he might as well be living here as he's spent quite a lot if time on these shores lately. The owner of Navan SC knows him well and has been arranging lots of exhibitions and coaching sessions to keep him ticking over and bringing in a few bob whilst he's suspended from playing.

Speculate a prediction yourself Zack01?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

where can we watch the live stream ?

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »
    where can we watch the live stream ?

unfortunately it now won't be streamed live but dvd's of the night will be made available saturday (i'm expecting very basic amateur dvd making, not the whole professional get-up), i'll provide score updates where possible.

Im heading over to this now!, be there soon.

Speculate a prediction yourself Zack01?:)

Doherty 7-2

Doherty 7-2
    Yeah Think Doherty myself impressive enough. On way home now to packed and no vantage point. A lot of either smelly traveller's or country people there one or the other. Left partially because of the smell of people sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Any updates available ?

2-1 to McCrudden

Ken wins 7-2 and a nice little earner for me on the correct score !

Ken wins 7-2 and a nice little earner for me on the correct score !

Nice one!

Shoulda been 3-0 to McCrudden and defo shoulda been 3-1 going in-off on last blue, but you can't let a class act like Ken off the hook, doesn't matter who you are or how good you are, Ken will punish ya.

Ken will be living it large in Le Cave for a few nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Spiderpig92

apparantly Ken is going to be playing Joe Swail in the next 2 weeks for money at a venue TBC

• Advertisement
Advertisement