Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting summer work

Options
  • 21-02-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a final year Commerce International student with a graduate contract secured in a big 4 firm pending a 2.1 result in my final exams. I would like to get work for the summer in an accounting firm before starting my contract in the autumn. I'm aware that the fact I'm tied to another firm will hinder my chances in this regard but do you guys think I'd be totally wasting my time even trying??

I have internship experience, many years of retail experience and a good academic record so I would consider myself pretty employable but if the contract will mean I'll have little or no chance getting anything, I would concentrate on other avenues!

And also my contract isn't based in Cork and due to sporting commitments, the option of beginning early isn't an option!

Would love any feedback!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

moleary20 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a final year Commerce International student with a graduate contract secured in a big 4 firm pending a 2.1 result in my final exams. I would like to get work for the summer in an accounting firm before starting my contract in the autumn. I'm aware that the fact I'm tied to another firm will hinder my chances in this regard but do you guys think I'd be totally wasting my time even trying??

I have internship experience, many years of retail experience and a good academic record so I would consider myself pretty employable but if the contract will mean I'll have little or no chance getting anything, I would concentrate on other avenues!

And also my contract isn't based in Cork and due to sporting commitments, the option of beginning early isn't an option!

Would love any feedback!

<Mod edit> no need for after hours type feed back here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

Why would you tell them about the graduate role?! Their not gona invest time in you for 3 months if they think your gone at the end of it, it takes time to train people and get them up to speed. If you want to increase your chances of securing a summer role, don't mentioning the training contract. Of else just contact the big 4 co and ask them if you can start/start your contract early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

HI OP

It normally takes about 6 months before you get a basic understanding of how the system works and you can function totally on your own. So unless the employer has a certain task in mind it is not going to be worth their while taking you on for such a short period. It will cost more in supervisory time.

My advice would be to wait until your contract with the big 4 starts and enjoy your "freedom" while you can :)

Kind Regards

Dbran

why bother getting some experience. go get a loan for a few k and enjoy yourself on a trip to south america for 3 months (amazing place). you'll have plenty of time in the future cooped up in KPMG or out on some boring audit site in a company. trust me, this is the thing to do. ridiculous notion to be "getting experience" when you are going to be starting a training contract. get out and get some life experience, which is just as important, if not more important, in the long-term. sounds like you could use some!

Advertisement