Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat from insert stove compared to open fire

Options
  • 21-02-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I am thinking of replacing my current open fire, with a Stanley,Cara - insert stove.
    Does anyone have any experience of the heat given off, will i lose any? My main concern is that since the stove has a door is tucked into the old fireplace, i will not feel as much heat being given off.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am thinking of replacing my current open fire, with a Stanley,Cara - insert stove.
    Does anyone have any experience of the heat given off, will i lose any? My main concern is that since the stove has a door is tucked into the old fireplace, i will not feel as much heat being given off.

Quite the opposite......you will feel alot more heat and the room will be much warmer for it too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

An open fire is about 30% efficent meaning you get 30% of the heat content of the fuel and 70% is wasted up the chimney or doesn't burn.
    A stove is 70 to 80% meaning that only 20% of the heat content is wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

No comparison. The open fire is a waste of money and heat. Get the stove. We've 2 in our house and no open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Dont put your hand on the door as a test by the way, best thing we ever did was get out the open fire, more heat, burns less fuel and is safer as times we would have a good fire down and then have to go off somewhere and feel a bit worried by it but i just turn it down now.

When you get it and fire is lit turn it down low enough as this is how you get the heat, a no brainer if you can afford it and get it installed by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

paddy147 wrote: »
    Quite the opposite......you will feel alot more heat and the room will be much warmer for it too.:)

What stove is that in the picture ? It is lovely.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

I am thinking of getting a stove and am not sure what to get. I know one with a back boiler will heat water/rads but will it also take a lot more fuel. Do stoves with boilers have to be cleaned ( of soot ) more often .
    How often would a stove without a boiler need to be cleaned ..of soot.

It will be going into a small cottage (approx 900sq.ft.) and the room where it will be fitted is about 18' X 13' with doors leading to other rooms off that.

Any ideas on this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Your chimney in an old cottage may need to be lined with a flexible flue liner which will be 6 inch or 5 inch.it depend on how much you use your stove that determines how often you need to clean it.once a year is a must but people with backboiler stoves tend to use them more than a non boiler stove and need it cleaned twice a year.you would be better with the 6 inch flue rather than 5.i have seen liners clog up in no time with bad fuel. If one bag is 12 euro and another 16 well then theres a reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

I am looking into getting an insert stove, v good idea

However just a warning, I had a Faber gas insert stove before, not the stove's fault; but what happens is the plaster above the stove gets hot, and over time cracks develop, these are the width of a hair but might become noticeable over time

huskerdu wrote: »
    What stove is that in the picture ? It is lovely.
    Thanks.

It is a Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel inset stove.

Its an 8kw stove and we burn briquettes,coal,turf and logs in it.

Serious heat off of it.:D

The old crappy horrible open fireplace was demolished and a new fireplace was built so that the Riva 66 stove sat up and in 10 inches off the ground.The chimney was then lined with a 6 inch stainless steel liner and insulated aswell.
    The entire house is slabbed out with 50 and 80mm insulated slab and the attic spaces are spray foamed,so the house holds the heat very very well indeed.:)

It is a Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel inset stove.

Its an 8kw stove and we burn briquettes,coal,turf and logs in it.

Serious heat off of it.:D

The old crappy horrible open fireplace was demolished and a new fireplace was built so that the Riva 66 stove sat up and in 10 inches off the ground.The chimney was then lined with a 6 inch stainless steel liner and insulated aswell.
    The entire house is slabbed out with 50 and 80mm insulated slab and the attic spaces are spray foamed,so the house holds the heat very very well indeed.:)

Thanks for the info.

Is your stove fitted with a back boiler and if not how much would you use your central heating.
    I intend fitting it in a cottage (single story) so harder to heat but I will have it well insulated. I am thinking I might get a free standing stove but fitted in the fireplace . The stove will have about 9" free space all around. I agree that proper fitting is a must.
    Tks.

• Advertisement

me4many wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

Is your stove fitted with a back boiler and if not how much would you use your central heating.
    I intend fitting it in a cottage (single story) so harder to heat but I will have it well insulated. I am thinking I might get a free standing stove but fitted in the fireplace . The stove will have about 9" free space all around. I agree that proper fitting is a must.
    Tks.

No back boiler.

I have solar that gives me hot water 24/7.

The gas heats the rads in the house so fast now.,as no gas is used for hot water at all nowadays.:)

The house also has tripple glazed windows and is so well insulated that the the heat just bounces off the walls and stays in the house for hours upon hours.:D

DSCF8156.jpg

DSCF8173.jpg

DSCF8166.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

I installed the henley achill a few months ago. Very similar to the stanley cara. Only went with henley because of price differance. The heat is fantastic off it uses very little fuel when burning coal and briquettes. Very glad i installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,

We have a stanley cara if you get it you should not be sorry. Excellent heat from them.

Excellent :
    You sure have put in some work there..cheap heat/water for a long time to come.

Do you think an 8kw for my place as described will do the trick .

me4many wrote: »
    Excellent :
    You sure have put in some work there..cheap heat/water for a long time to come.

Do you think an 8kw for my place as described will do the trick .

8kw gives good heat,,,but that said,Im no expert and wouldnt be able to comment on your property and your needs.

I think you should consult a stove/fireplace expert and seek better information from them on the matter.:)

Indeed: I will be meeting with one very soon and going through everything with him. Its a good idea to have some practical info in advance.
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

8kw gives good heat,,,but that said,Im no expert and wouldnt be able to comment on your property and your needs.

I think you should consult a stove/fireplace expert and seek better information from them on the matter.:)
    Paddy, quick question if you don't mind!

What height is the lintel from your finished floor on the chimney breast do you remember ?
    2 questions actually :) was that chimney designed for an insert ? Is there a granite panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 palong88

Hey Paddy,

Where do you buy your fuel ? Do you get it in bulk deals?

Thanks

Advertisement