Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork farmer pays hash by the hour

Options
  • 21-02-2013 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Bloody cockneys!!
    Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Londoner living in West Cork grew cannabis and paid workmen 2g of the drug per hour to build a house for him.

By Liam Heylin
    John McFadden, of Trafraska, Baltimore, Co Cork, who runs a 50-acre cattle farm, operated a cannabis barter system to pay labourers.

However, drugs squad gardaí were alerted to the crop and obtained a warrant to search his property.

Garda Padraig Slater said they found €10,000 worth of cannabis herb in two tubs in his kitchen and in two brown paper bags upstairs.

McFadden, aged 57, was arrested on May 28, 2011, and, on his way to Bandon Garda Station, he told gardaí that he had another property at Clogher, Dunmanway, Co Cork.

Gardaí immediately got a further warrant to search that property, where they found one cannabis plant and a stash of cannabis herb worth over €23,000.

Defence barrister Donal O’Sullivan said it was for supply rather than sale, and that McFadden did not benefit financially from it.

McFadden told gardaí he was involved in barter whereby he would give workmen 2g of cannabis per hour’s work on a house he was building. He also said he was a heavy user of the drug himself, using about 1g a day.

Judge Patrick J Moran said that, in all of his years adjudicating over drugs cases, he had never come across something like this.

“It seems to be a novel way of dealing in drugs,” said the judge.

He read testimonials from neighbours and friends who described McFadden as decent, hardworking, honest, responsible, and a person of standing in the community.

“I accept you were of very considerable assistance to gardaí investigating this matter,” he said. “I suspect you would not have been charged with the Dunmanway offence but for the fact that you volunteered the information.

“This is a very serious offence. The legislature requires a judge by law to impose a sentence of not less than 10 years unless there are exceptional circumstances. I don’t believe this is a case requiring such a sentence.”

He imposed a five-year suspended sentence and told Mr O’Sullivan: “Tell your client I advise him to stay with his cattle and forget about cannabis.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Where do I sign up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

He imposed a five-year suspended sentence and told Mr O’Sullivan: “Tell your client I advise him to stay with his cattle and forget about cannabis.”

Sums up the justice system in Ireland. "Ah shure, don't mind them aul 'drugs', shure ya have enough cattle to be looking after, HA?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

keith16 wrote: »
    Sums up the justice system in Ireland. "Ah shure, don't mind them aul 'drugs', shure ya have enough cattle to be looking after, HA?"

Aye, because this is teh crime of the century!!

Fúck sake. Legalise the damn plant already, complete waste of the time and money of the judicial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I don't see it mention hash anywhere, what's with the subject?

edit: No wait... I get it now... (terrible)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

Works out around €28.50/hour tax free! More than I earn anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'd do it, but i'd have to like get up and like do stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The system should be more worried about all the labourers who were working and signing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

karma_ wrote: »
    Aye, because this is teh crime of the century!!

Fúck sake. Legalise the damn plant already, complete waste of the time and money of the judicial system.

Am I the only one who read that in a Ming Flanagan accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

The gardai always add a few 0's to end of a haul and call it street value

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A minium of 10 ****ing years? Who the **** decides these kind of things? I'd like to murder them... get myself a nice 3 year suspended sentence hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What a waste of police time and tax payers money it is keeping a strain of plant illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

A minium of 10 ****ing years? Who the **** decides these kind of things? I'd like to murder them... get myself a nice 3 year suspended sentence hopefully.

I think (I could be very, very wrong though) that it's over 10,000 euro worth of any illegal drug.

And you only get your suspended sentence for murder if you're a drug/alcohol addicted/come from a broken home/are a general scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cannabis is a gateway drug...to the munchies...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think (I could be very, very wrong though) that it's over 10,000 euro worth of any illegal drug.

And you only get your suspended sentence for murder if you're a drug/alcohol addicted/come from a broken home/are a general scumbag.

Even without suspended, it's still ridicously small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Oh no the evil cannabis plant strikes again. Complete waste of time dragging this fellow through the courts. I often got paid in alcohol for labouring jobs good times. But cannabis is the devils drug and anyone growing it should be dragged through the streets for this heinous crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

keith16 wrote: »

Yeah...... throw the man working 50 acres in prison.
    Now who should we bypass to let him in........... Robbie the rapist, Paddy the peado, or perhaps Slasher Mcgee.
    Those prison cells are at a premium.

Gerard Barry with a previous conviction for manslaughter was on bail for rape when he raped and murdered the Swiss student Manuela in Galway.
    I wonder was there a cannabis grower warming Barrys cell on the night he carried out the attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Fair play to the judge. It'd be awful to have seen him jailed.

On another note, i'd love to have seen the builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Only in Ireland!

I'd say that was the most unmotivated bunch of staff ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah...... throw the man working 50 acres in prison.
    Now who should we bypass to let him in........... Robbie the rapist, Paddy the peado, or perhaps Slasher Mcgee.

Urrmmm...Welease Woger??

MadsL wrote: »
    Urrmmm...Welease Woger??

Leave him where he is......... He's a very naughty boy.

PS. Nobody used the "Hash in hand" pun yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mikom wrote: »
    PS. Nobody used the "Hash in hand" pun yet?

Just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

daRobot wrote: »
    Fair play to the judge. It'd be awful to have seen him jailed.

On another note, i'd love to have seen the builders.

On yet another note, I'd love to have seen the building!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Only in Ireland!

I'd say that was the most unmotivated bunch of staff ever!

I'd say the opposite
    FearDark wrote: »
    Oh no the evil cannabis plant strikes again. Complete waste of time dragging this fellow through the courts. I often got paid in alcohol for labouring jobs good times. But cannabis is the devils drug and anyone growing it should be dragged through the streets for this heinous crime.
    It's good PR for the Garda to be seen to be carrying out big drug busts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Suspended sentence is a good call by the judge imo, your man doesnt seem to be any danger to society.

One thing I found strange is the talk of him only supplying it and not for monetary reasons. He was getting his house built off the back of supplying it ffs

Roger_007 wrote: »
    On yet another note, I'd love to have seen the building!

Image here.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

So he paid them "hash in hand".... Crazy stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

If cannibis is to become a recognised currency, what will the basic unit of currency be: a Joint.

MadsL wrote: »
    Just you.

Nope.
    See post 27.
    Never underestimate Cannabis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

I had trouble converting from imperial to metric there. It's been a while. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Boombastic wrote: »
    It's good PR for the Garda to be seen to be carrying out big drug busts.

Gardai are only doing their job. AGS are not involved in creating the legislation.

Advertisement