Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook & Kenny "Love-In" on Newstalk

Options
  • 21-02-2013 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Managed to get my email on Selective Door Opening on the 22000s read out on today's programme, needless to say Barry woffled on about it being a long-term goal but no answer as to why it has twice gone out to tender with no result! At least it made a change to the plethora of inane rubbish that Hook usually reads out about the lack of railways in Donegal, or the price of a day return to Ballygobackwards. I think that we should start a regular C+T spamming of the Hook & Kenny "Love-In" with awkward questions everytime it's on. Anybody? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Kenny has the wit of a goldfish, I don't get why Hook has such a horn for him.

You know the responses that are straight up BS.

Hookey, not exactly being "one of the people" has no knowledge of public transport apart from the Cork-Dublin route circa 1968. So he cannot call Kenny on his waffle.

Waste of a slot TBH, which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hook likes to consider himself something of an expert on rail travel - having been a former user of the Cork/Dublin route - but if you listen to his show you will note that he now seems to drive instead. Judging by his own admissions on his driving ability I wouldn't take a lift down the road with him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Managed to get my email on Selective Door Opening on the 22000s read out on today's programme, needless to say Barry woffled on about it being a long-term goal but no answer as to why it has twice gone out to tender with no result! At least it made a change to the plethora of inane rubbish that Hook usually reads out about the lack of railways in Donegal, or the price of a day return to Ballygobackwards. I think that we should start a regular C+T spamming of the Hook & Kenny "Love-In" with awkward questions everytime it's on. Anybody? :D

Yep - good idea and perhaps some of the 'journos' might learn something about railways - maybe a mention too about the existence of 'Boards - C&T and T&RS' as we are well ahead of anything you'll hear or see about Irish Railways on either the telly or the radio. Nice one JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that slot would make one throw up to be honest, i'd say barry even believes his and irish rail's lies these days.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I don't care either, I simply can't stand listening to Hook no matter who his guests are. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

On second thoughts: I'm also deleting the off-topic posts...
    s8n wrote: »
    Who cares to be honest ??
    s8n wrote: »
    Thanks - the thread was pretty pointless tbh

At least some people on the thread clearly care. If you're not interested in a thread then don't bother posting. If you're bored, there's lots of other threads to read or post on.

It's really silly posting in a thread you think is pointless -- there's loads of threads on this forum and across boards that can be viewed as pointless by some, while others will be interested. Get over it and move on.

etchyed wrote: »
    Who the fúck are you and why are you here?

It's none of your business who the person is. Play the ball and not the man -- and in this case or any like it report the post rather than trying out back seat moding, thanks.

Everybody: Do not reply to this post or any other posts related to the off topic nonsense above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I think that we should start a regular C+T spamming of the Hook & Kenny "Love-In" with awkward questions everytime it's on. Anybody? :D

good idea in theory, but we all know that Baz will just pick the ones he wants to answer and all that will happen is that a few lads on the internet will get very annoyed, quickly fed up and drop it.

what would work is a thread called "e-mails and texts and tweets they refused to reply to on air, of the week" or something, where we post the evidence.

we can then make a fairly quick comparitor and see exactly how much of a PR puff it is.

I think I'll run this by the pair of them the next BK is on the show. One of my pet grievances is IE's failure to produce an all-in public railway timetable for the last couple of years. What makes it even more incredible, they produce one - identical to that previously sold to the public but it's only available to staff! Below is a pic of the one that's just been replaced since the new timetable came in. Full colour throughout on glossy paper - there's even advertisements for Rail Freight and the DART - but the public can't get a copy. The economics are crazy given that the greatest cost with such a production is in the setting up and if nothing else this could be recouped by running off a few thousand for public sale. Come on the usual CIE/IE apologists and explain why I'm obviously delusional. :D

2011tt+002.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I think I'll run this by the pair of them the next BK is on the show. One of my pet grievances is IE's failure to produce an all-in public railway timetable for the last couple of years. What makes it even more incredible, they produce one - identical to that previously sold to the public but it's only available to staff! Below is a pic of the one that's just been replaced since the new timetable came in. Full colour throughout on glossy paper - there's even advertisements for Rail Freight and the DART - but the public can't get a copy. The economics are crazy given that the greatest cost with such a production is in the setting up and if nothing else this could be recouped by running off a few thousand for public sale. Come on the usual CIE/IE apologists and explain why I'm obviously delusional. :D
    True, there is only a small cost difference on top of the cost for paper and ink between printing 2,000 or 20,000 or indeed 200,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Playing Devil's advocate, how many people do you seriously think would want the entire timetable in hard copy form, apart from 'bashers' and maybe the odd pensioner? Commuters have fixed routes and travel times that might not vary a lot and the little leaflet is fine for them. All the times are out there on interweb for the occasional traveller.

PS I'm not a fan of either BK or GH and their Newstalk love-nest, suffice it to say I think there's bigger issues with IE that need to be addressed.

• Advertisement

Playing Devil's advocate, how many people do you seriously think would want the entire timetable in hard copy form, apart from 'bashers' and maybe the odd pensioner? Commuters have fixed routes and travel times that might not vary a lot and the little leaflet is fine for them. All the times are out there on interweb for the occasional traveller.

PS I'm not a fan of either BK or GH and their Newstalk love-nest, suffice it to say I think there's bigger issues with IE that need to be addressed.

From little acorns.....I have a letter from Dick Fearn somewhere - if I can find it - telling me how popular the full railway timetable was. This in reply to a letter from me complaining about the price of it being increased. On a personal level, as I have said before, I'm an ex.railway enthusiast who travels by train when possible and I find it highly inconvenient not having a timetable that covers the entire country. If I go online and want to print out timetable sheets it means a trip to the library. As for the little booklets - a trip to one of the two Dublin termini is necessary as other stations only receive booklets for routes in their immediate vicinity. Also, when you need the wretched thing, it is invariably mislaid. Would it really be that hard to print off a few thousand extra copies - it might even cover the cost of the whole timetable now being produced solely for the enjoyment of the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

BK has gotten to be a semi permanent feature on Newstalk, he's keeping GH's chair warm yesterday and today.

Have IE missed him about the place yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Am I correct in saying that BK left IE for Ryanair, didn't like it there, and returned to his old position at IE?

Will he do the same with NewsTalk?:rolleyes:

What is it with Newstalk and double jobbing anyway? Ivan Yates, Nora Casey and now BK...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What is it with Newstalk and double jobbing anyway? Ivan Yates, Nora Casey and now BK...:rolleyes:

George Hook himself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I wonder will BK get an IE spokesman on for the odd IE discussion? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Barry Kenny is a celebrity! He has spent so much time in the media defending a diabolical service that people just accept him and his Irish Semi State X-Factor thing. He may even be lining up the Late Late Show! It may have been said before, but when a railway spokesperson is known so well, it really looks bad.....so long as you are prepared to realise it. Most are. Barry Kenny has gone unchallenged for years. RUI are now a joke, because they have been charmed by the trainspotter angle, as thats all they are now....trainspotters with an attitude!

On a more serious note, when BK makes an appearance on Newstalk re rail matters, surely his guest appearance fronting the RH Show, could be construed as a conflict of interest??

Advertisement