Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marston's Pedigree Ale @ 10 cents/bottle

Options
  • 21-02-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I kid you not - I cleared Tesco out of 32 of these earlier today. However, I suspect that they are clearing stock out of other Tesco locations also ( A few days ago, I picked up a few bottles in a different Tesco for €1/bottle) - so worth checking.

But....don't leave it long....

The whole reason they are marking them down is due to "best before" date falling on the 22/02 - so I guess they will have to take them off the shelf tonight if not sold before hand.

Fill yer boots ;-)

Pedigree is a little bit too strong on the taste buds for me - a bit treackle-ie - but maybe it will grow on me :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Which Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hootanany wrote: »
    Which Tesco
    Was Roscommon. There were 24 bottles left on the shelf when I left. Earlier in the week, I had purchased a few bottles of Pedigree that had been reduced to €1/bottle. That was in Claremorris. I can only assume they would be running with the same deal there today (if the best before date expires tomorrow). However, it seems to suggest that the order they placed for Marstons simply didn't get moved out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭arch20000

I saw those bottles in Tesco Naas yesterday but they were a euro each.

On the positive side though, pedigree 4 cans were 1.99 as per previous thread.
    Had to go through the usual rigmorole at the till though but got
    them for 1.99. they had a load of 'em.

Also, Abbots Ale and Tanglefoot were priced at 1 euro a can.
    Different story at the till but got them at that price....

Tanglefoot is well nice, pedigree not so much but for that price!!

arch20000 wrote: »
    I saw those bottles in Tesco Naas yesterday but they were a euro each.
    That all makes sense then. It must have been a national order - and they all expire on 22/02 - get yourself down there - as they're 10cents a bottle right now ...if there's any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

€1 each in Celbridge last night @ 9.30pm-ish ...

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    €1 each in Celbridge last night @ 9.30pm-ish ...
    I can only imagine the b.b. date is further out in the case of that stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

I can only imagine the b.b. date is further out in the case of that stock...

No 22nd Feb was the BB Date

RayCon wrote: »
    No 22nd Feb was the BB Date
    hmmm....strange there should be a variance. I would have thought with the likes of Tesco, they would have a centralised way of dealing with all of these sorts of things...

Perhaps the €0.10 was unintentional after all....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I saw from stout on offer 3 weeks ago in Tescos and the BB date was Dec 2012, found it in 2 different stores. Needless to say I thought it was bad selling Out of date stock without informing people why it was such a price (it wasn't dirt cheap, just a half price type of offer)

TheDriver wrote: »
    I saw from stout on offer 3 weeks ago in Tescos and the BB date was Dec 2012, found it in 2 different stores. Needless to say I thought it was bad selling Out of date stock without informing people why it was such a price (it wasn't dirt cheap, just a half price type of offer)
    Isn't that illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a difference between BB (Best Before) and UB (Use By) though. I'd say beer etc. would need to be well past the BB date (3+ months at least) before you would notice a difference in taste.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    There is a difference between BB (Best Before) and UB (Use By) though. I'd say beer etc. would need to be well past the BB date (3+ months at least) before you would notice a difference in taste.
    Can only see a date of 22/02/2013 on it. Doesn't say if this is BB or UB date...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

All beer has a best before date, it has to, it's the law.
    That said, many beers will keep for years and age like wine. Stronger beers usually and they will usually have to be bottle conditioned (live yeast).

Something like Marston's Pedigree though is usually filtered and pasteurised so while it will last longer than the best before date, it will not age so will eventually go off.

The beer in question will be fine to drink. Just don't wait too long to do so.
    There was none in Tesco Blanchardstown by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tesco Mallow had hobgoblin 4 cans and fursty ferret 4 cans in clearance last night, 1.50 for 4 cans. BB end of Feb, was a nice nights drinking for small change

Advertisement