Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Badge

Options
  • 21-02-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Can anyone answer this for me..my sister has m.s.(multiple sclerosis) for over three years now, she is ok to drive but she was told she was entitled to a disability badge..she applied and they said she wasn't allowed one in the end but i told her to appeal the decision..She did and she has an allocated time in their office in Thomas Street, Dun Laoighre..

Is it worth the hassle to drive all the way up to Dublin or make the necessary arrangements i.e. bus train which would be costly just to be told that no she is not entitled to the badge..

If you need any more information just let me know..thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

CrazyMel wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this for me..my sister has m.s.(multiple sclerosis) for over three years now, she is ok to drive but she was told she was entitled to a disability badge..she applied and they said she wasn't allowed one in the end but i told her to appeal the decision..She did and she has an allocated time in their office in Thomas Street, Dun Laoighre..

Is it worth the hassle to drive all the way up to Dublin or make the necessary arrangements i.e. bus train which would be costly just to be told that no she is not entitled to the badge..

If you need any more information just let me know..thanks a lot

Did ye not go to MS Ireland directly, or even apply for a blue badge from the IWA???

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CrazyMel

I'll ask her that and get back to you, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Blue Parking Permit is now more strictly issued to people who have an actual Mobility impairment as indicated by a doctor

Details here
    http://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

You can get a form from the Irish Wheelchair Association, get 2 photographs taken, bring form and photos to the Garda Station to be stamped, get your GP to sign form, you will be asked how far you can walk unaided. send form off to IWA with photos and cheque for 35 euros and you should get a badge for a year.

You should keep in mind that this does not give you free parking, you will still have to pay for parking where applicable. Also, be prepared to find most disabled parking spaces taken up by selfish able bodied drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I believe the charge and the length of time for which the card is valid is just another rip-off.

For someone who has a long term disability there should be no need to renew the badge, and pay another €35.

I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation for this.

Do they think that miracles happen every year to lots of people?
    They arise from their wheelchairs and begin to trot about?

Just another sneak tax on disabled drivers IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I believe the charge and the length of time for which the card is valid is just another rip-off.

For someone who has a long term disability there should be no need to renew the badge, and pay another €35.

I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation for this.

Do they think that miracles happen every year to lots of people?
    They arise from their wheelchairs and begin to trot about?

Just another sneak tax on disabled drivers IMO.

I guess part of the reason is to stop relatives of deceased people using their badges for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

There is an expiry date on the side of the card that faces outwards and there is a photo of the entitled person on the other side. The problem is that there is no one interested in policing this. James Hospital had really sticky stickers that they put on windows of cars parked in the wrong places. Most carparks are not patrolled and by the time anyone would call out a clamping company, the offender would have driven off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fairytots

O/P did your sister get this sorted? I called the MS office, and as I could walk further than 50meters without stopping I was refused one. Possibly like your sister she has good and bad days? today for e.g. there is no possible way I could walk 50meters. I got onto a local MS society (thank god for their existence, maybe there is one near you that she can call?) and they supported my case and I got a parking permit. Its not about how far I can walk, its about MAKING it back to the car. After 10 mins of walking my right leg goes numb and so im lifting my hips and body to move it, yet I was refused a permit initially. I dont know how these people can justify refusing permits to people with MS to be honest, fatigue and numb legs are just two of the common symptoms we have. A permit makes life just that little bit easier!

Advertisement