Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NERA Inspection

Options
  • 21-02-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

I am registered as an employer for 1 domestic employee (5 hours a week). I have a NERA inspection next week and dont know what to give them.

Looking at their literature they want all time sheets, payslips, etc. etc. I pay PAYE/PRSI etc. for the employee but it is really a casual agreement based on trust, she does hours, I pay her, etc.

Just wondering what the inpsections are like.

Thanks

Caileen :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

You are getting a NERA inspection for one employee....god things really have gotten bad :)

dealt with a few over the years, they can be tough sometimes but usually are quite fair. Basically what they say on the letter is what they look for but the big no-no I have come across is where there is no contract of employment in place.....this they take issue with

I assume you don't pay anyone cash in hand as this is also what they look out for....

Maybe ask your accountant to do a review for you just to check you have all documentation. Shouldn't cost much (especially since you only have one employee). I would think maybe 150 euro max but it would depend on your accountant's rates.

Can I ask what sector you work in as the inspections are often targeted at certain sectors (ie you could get 5 or 6 businesses in your area that are in the same sector being looked at at a specific time). A few years back, they seemed to be checking nearly every client we had that was in the hospitality sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If it's 5 hours per week, I am surprised that it amounts to an employment.

Advertisement