Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alert! Check your honey supplies!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

^^Heavy Metals found in it aswell. They store it in lead drumes before passing it on as they couldn't give a shit, just like the rotten companys that buy it to sell over here. Bastards. That C Antibiotic is banned for that kind of use aswell

Whats wrong with that dumb shower though, they contaminate everything. Mercury in the milk a few months back, banned pesticides on the Garlic, some funky stuff called "Lean Meat Powder" fed to Animals makes them produce a few more lbs of lean meat but it's toxic to humans. It's some kind of adrenal stimulante that messes with chromosomes, blood pressure, god knows what else.

Test Kit for Toxic Foods To Go on Sale in China

Mostly cheapo Own brand stuff, never buy any of it, you just know it's the bottom of the barrel to meet a pricepoint.

Lidl/Aldi, wouldn't even buy toilet roll in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Anyone who knowingly buys food from China deserves what they get. I'm no environmentalist but they just don't give a sh1t for people, their health, or their land.

I've nearly completed a beginners beekeeping course with my local association, you can find yours here if you're interested:

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Whilst I never really check the country of origin on the honey jars, I'm pretty sure there's a zillion things be it food, gadgets, toys etc in my house that are made in China. Again, I wouldn't have made a point of checking too many labels but, yes, if pressed, i probably would've guessed that they come from there. However, I am sure about one thing, we don't 'deserve' anything, particularly illness. For example, I guarantee you that components in the device (laptop/PC/ipod/iphone etc) we used to type these comments, were made in China. Anyway, back on subject; beekeeping, hmm I'm not sure. I think they'd sense the wafer thin buffer between what looks like an air of confidence and the fear generated beads of sweat on my brow. Then they would attack and call their half brothers the wasps in for back up.

Danpad wrote: »
    Whilst I never really check the country of origin on the honey jars, I'm pretty sure there's a zillion things be it food, gadgets, toys etc in my house that are made in China. Again, I wouldn't have made a point of checking too many labels but, yes, if pressed, i probably would've guessed that they come from there. However, I am sure about one thing, we don't 'deserve' anything, particularly illness. For example, I guarantee you that components in the device (laptop/PC/ipod/iphone etc) we used to type these comments, were made in China. Anyway, back on subject; beekeeping, hmm I'm not sure. I think they'd sense the wafer thin buffer between what looks like an air of confidence and the fear generated beads of sweat on my brow. Then they would attack and call their half brothers the wasps in for back up.

Food, you ingest.

Most other things, toy plastic soldiers, components, you don't ingest.

There have been enough stories about lead in toothpaste etc for people to know not to buy something you're going to eat from China of all places.

As to deserving, well yes, they do. For some reason people have absolved themselves of personal responsibility in many areas of life. All you need to prove that is to look at the processed food/horsemeat debacle, "cheap" was all the consumer had in mind, didn't care where it came from once it left them money for the plasma telly and pints at the weekend.

Well, the stuff we purchase which we obviously do not ingest probably, I'd hazard a guess, contributes to the economy of China, which, as you correctly put it, does not give a sh1t about their people, country or land. If we all deserve to become ill because we've bought Chinese produce then surely we're just as deserving by buying products and therefore supporting the non **** giving regime no?
    Anyway, not to become too embroiled in oriental politics and to keep the thread on track, if you have honey you might want to check it. I checked mine and none of it was Chinese. Now, to finish my take away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Well, the stuff we purchase which we obviously do not ingest probably, I'd hazard a guess, contributes to the economy of China, which, as you correctly put it, does not give a sh1t about their people, country or land. If we all deserve to become ill because we've bought Chinese produce then surely we're just as deserving by buying products and therefore supporting the non **** giving regime no?
    Anyway, not to become too embroiled in oriental politics and to keep the thread on track, if you have honey you might want to check it. I checked mine and none of it was Chinese. Now, to finish my take away.
    How do you know? Was it all Manuka or....?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Oops, I just hit the flag button and commented. Sorry bout that. Didn't mean to flag anything. Just ment to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

My comment was, how do we know? Was in tesco an hour ago and even the Boyne Valley honey was a blend of eu and non-eu honey. Got some called Molaga, from Cork. Coffee sorted for a while anyway

Their politics, their problem. My food, my problem. See the difference?

I've enough problems of my own to even ponder beginning to worry about the average Chinese persons problems. Truth be told, I don't particularly care, it is their problem to sort out for themselves. So the devil himself may run China fine and well if the Chinese people see fit to let him.

However, if you purchase a food product, or other such product that may harm your health such as lead laced toothpaste from a place you know not to have trustworthy standards, well, what - do - you - expect?

That would be a rhetorical question.

Their politics, their problem. My food, my problem. See the difference?

I've enough problems of my own to even ponder beginning to worry about the average Chinese persons problems. Truth be told, I don't particularly care, it is their problem to sort out for themselves. So the devil himself may run China fine and well if the Chinese people see fit to let him.

However, if you purchase a food product, or other such product that may harm your health such as lead laced toothpaste from a place you know not to have trustworthy standards, well, what - do - you - expect?

That would be a rhetorical question.

Grand so, do you have any honey? If so, check it.

• Advertisement

Grand so, do you have any honey? If so, check it.

I have, I get mine from a local beekeeper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

How do we know the Homemade Irish Honey doesn't have banned pesticides in it? Do you send it for analysis?

Bees will fly a mile and a half and no further. Where I live there is little to no spraying of any kind going on. This isn't a tillage farming area so pesticides wouldn't be used anyway. No I don't send it for analysis as I don't feel the need to. The risk to food in Ireland is minimal compared to a country such as China. I know the beekeeper, I know his area.

Which banned pesticides do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

It should be illegal to label "Boyne Valley Honey" when nearly all if not all their product is imported.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    It should be illegal to label "Boyne Valley Honey" when nearly all if not all their product is imported.

I suppose it's the brand name, but it is a bit misleading alright. Honesty and transparency in food labeling needs a major overhaul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Communist plot to weaken our immune systems! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I suppose it's the brand name, but it is a bit misleading alright. Honesty and transparency in food labeling needs a major overhaul
    Nay!

Bees will fly a mile and a half and no further. Where I live there is little to no spraying of any kind going on. This isn't a tillage farming area so pesticides wouldn't be used anyway. No I don't send it for analysis as I don't feel the need to. The risk to food in Ireland is minimal compared to a country such as China. I know the beekeeper, I know his area.

Which banned pesticides do you mean?

Post above referenced banned pesticides detected in Chinese Honey.

Post above referenced banned pesticides detected in Chinese Honey.

In Chinese honey, I was asked about the honey I source locally, I don't live in China :D

In Chinese honey, I was asked about the honey I source locally, I don't live in China :D

I guessed that but yearly Pesticide testing conducted by the Dept of Agriculture turns up Irish products exceeding Mrls or with non approved pesticides detected. I wouldn't be too keen using honey from an area that has a golf course for instance considering the range of pesticides at their disposal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement