Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I learned yesterday

Options
  • 21-02-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Despite not gettng home until 9.30 last night I managed to cover a lot of ground in a couple of hours:

Hyperspin/HyperHQ
    I was having troubles with Hyperspin not recognising some controls on my arcade panel. namely joystick left and P1 button 2. These translate as Cursor Key Left and Left ALT respectively.
    Got a solution to it last night although I' don't know the reason, I'm blaming a buggy HyperHQ.
    Opening HyperHQ and trying to enter the aforementioned keyboard keys still didn't work.

There is a settings.ini file that stores all of HyperHQs settings. In there you'll find a log of the keyboard settings. It was just a case of manual editing the file to match the desired key. It's actually done using a two digit code. A translated table can be found here:
    http://people.uncw.edu/tompkinsj/112/FlashActionScript/keyCodes.htm
    Just find the name of the keyboard key you need in the middle column and type the code from the right column into the settings.ini file. Bingo Bango

JPAC

Most peeps on here probably already knew this but I only discovered it last night. the JPAC sort of has some basic shift functionality pre-programmed. Assuming your mame settings are at default:

Holding P1 Start + P2 Start = Esc = Mame Exit (& Hyerspin Default Exit)

Holding P1 Start + P1B1 = 5 = Add Credit

Holding P1 Start + P1 Jostick Up = Tab = Mame Menu

Full list here:

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac2.html

The Jpac has a programming tool so perhaps further shift type functionality could be added? http://www.ultimarc.com/download.html

Cave Games

Never had much exposure to their games before but man I think they're awesome. Yes I'm playing them through Mame and yes, they're playing vertically in a horizontal monitor with big black borders at the side but I'm addicted. A couple don't load for me at all though: Pink Sweets & Mushihime-Sama Futari. Any ideas?

PS4
    Wasn't expecting much from this but I think Sony have taken things back to basics to get the hardware and technology right. While not revolutionary they defo seem to have taken a sensible approach to development. Most of the games were meh though and I wasn't blown away with some of the games especially Watch Dogs.

Oh, and I'll never trust Sony with a Killzone "gameplay" trailer after the last time.

Comments

I think im going to give hyper spin a bash soon,
    I cant stand the pic of the PC monitor for mame and the 4player cab in the game selection looks pox.
    What spec is your mame machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

urbanledge wrote: »
    I think im going to give hyper spin a bash soon,
    I cant stand the pic of the PC monitor for mame and the 4player cab in the game selection looks pox.
    What spec is your mame machine?

Its actually just my wife's laptop until I build a dedicated mame pc. Laptop makes it handy to test stuff out quickly owing to it having its own screen and not need to be connecting to another monitor.

Laptop is a Toshiba core i3

Yeah I'll get it set up on my main gaiming rig first for handyness
    Think pentium d 3.2ghz in my mame pc.4gigs ram
    will all my artwork and vids still be usable?

Yeah I'll get it set up on my main gaiming rig first for handyness
    Think pentium d 3.2ghz in my mame pc.4gigs ram
    will all my artwork and vids still be usable?

Not sure what artwork and vids you already have but basically there are a heap of themes and videos you need to download from the Hyperspin and Emumovies ftp.

Ok so you reckon you need premium accounts for both?

• Advertisement

Ok so you reckon you need premium accounts for both?

Yeah. Otherwise get a dump from someones drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Muchi is dirt cheap on play asia at the moment.

http://www.play-asia.com/Muchi_Muchi_Pork_Pink_Sweets_Cave_Best_Version/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-5u8b.html

Usually about 120€

Anyone able to answer my cave mame query in first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I couldnt get them to run properly either, only one I can run anyway playable is Progear. I think Steve Si has them working fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

safetyboy wrote: »

Damn you!
    Just bought it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

...and the 4player cab in the game selection looks pox.

All of the gfx within Hyperspin can be replaced, even that default pic of the arcade cab which yea don't like

safetyboy wrote: »
    I couldnt get them to run properly either, only one I can run anyway playable is Progear. I think Steve Si has them working fine.

Have all the others running. Just those few mentioned above having difficulty with.

Oddly the games load through mame and command prompt so I think the issue must be with Hyperspin somehow. Probable down to some setting or naming of files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Hyperspin/HyperHQ
    I was having troubles with Hyperspin not recognising some controls on my arcade panel. namely joystick left and P1 button 2. These translate as Cursor Key Left and Left ALT respectively.
    Got a solution to it last night although I' don't know the reason, I'm blaming a buggy HyperHQ.
    Opening HyperHQ and trying to enter the aforementioned keyboard keys still didn't work.

There is a settings.ini file that stores all of HyperHQs settings. In there you'll find a log of the keyboard settings. It was just a case of manual editing the file to match the desired key. It's actually done using a two digit code. A translated table can be found here:
    http://people.uncw.edu/tompkinsj/112/FlashActionScript/keyCodes.htm
    Just find the name of the keyboard key you need in the middle column and type the code from the right column into the settings.ini file. Bingo Bango

Funnily enough I had exactly the same problem recently. Left would work sporadically. I reckoned it was bad wiring on my part but I've done it a 100 times before and couldn't see anything wrong. I've taken the panel off the cab now to add a spinner and some more buttons but my plan is to not use that input anymore. The cab(mame) is in the garage and it can be cold so maybe it's moisture !? Anyway, it's not hyperspin related in my case I don't think because if i opened up notepad I'd still get no input.
    JPAC

Most peeps on here probably already knew this but I only discovered it last night. the JPAC sort of has some basic shift functionality pre-programmed. Assuming your mame settings are at default:

Holding P1 Start + P2 Start = Esc = Mame Exit (& Hyerspin Default Exit)

Holding P1 Start + P1B1 = 5 = Add Credit

Holding P1 Start + P1 Jostick Up = Tab = Mame Menu

Full list here:

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac2.html

The Jpac has a programming tool so perhaps further shift type functionality could be added? http://www.ultimarc.com/download.html

Yeah. I use the programming tool allot. Some keys like shift and ctrl I found were having issue in other emulators so I mapped them to other keys. Pretty sure every key can be setup with a shift operation.
    Cave Games

Never had much exposure to their games before but man I think they're awesome. Yes I'm playing them through Mame and yes, they're playing vertically in a horizontal monitor with big black borders at the side but I'm addicted. A couple don't load for me at all though: Pink Sweets & Mushihime-Sama Futari. Any ideas?

I compiled my own MAME 0.145 and 0.146 with save support and cave games added and all cave games run fine (including Pink Sweet and Mushi).

Maybe you've incorrect roms ?

Thanks Brian. Might give the jpac programmer a go although I'm happy with the amount of functionality out of the box for now.

Have the sh3 compiled mame alright. At the weekend I tried loading the roms through the mame command prompt. The issue is with a couple of specific roms not Hyperspin.

Advertisement