Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI GRANTS

Options
  • 20-02-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Can i just get someone to confirm something for me please.
    i have a level 6 in computing that i got four years ago. i have now gone back and started a level 8 in another course. would i be eligible for the grant on the basis that i am doing a higher qualification course even though its in a different field.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you are progressing through the levels then yes you should be eligible. There might of course be some reason to make you ineligible.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mindbloggling

thanks,
    its just that i had originally been awarded by susi for both fees and maintenance even though i am only entitled to the fees ( am on BTA) and this got rectified after i made them aware of the error got a new letter after 3 months to say that i have awarded tuition and student contribution, so when i rang them today to confirm, the man was saying that because i changed course regardless that it is higher level than what i currently hold that i would not be entitled to any part of the grant as it is with 5 years.

This has me now totally confused and stressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

thanks,
    its just that i had originally been awarded by susi for both fees and maintenance even though i am only entitled to the fees ( am on BTA) and this got rectified after i made them aware of the error got a new letter after 3 months to say that i have awarded tuition and student contribution, so when i rang them today to confirm, the man was saying that because i changed course regardless that it is higher level than what i currently hold that i would not be entitled to any part of the grant as it is with 5 years.

This has me now totally confused and stressed

susi...im glad to see the back of them.I guarantee you if you ring 5 different people there they will give you 5 different answers, that was my experience with them,not exaggerating,complete joke of a set up. I wouldnt give up hope yet as they really are a clueless bunch and your man is prob talkin through his arse. did you receive grant for previous course?

did you receive grant for previous course?

No never received nor applied for grant before this.

but you have already got the fees award though? i really cant see how one fool at the end of a phone can decide to reverse it now though

• Advertisement

yeah have a letter dated the 14 feb awarding me both. but he has now raised the issue with his superior..wished i never rang now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Can i just get someone to confirm something for me please.
    i have a level 6 in computing that i got four years ago. i have now gone back and started a level 8 in another course. would i be eligible for the grant on the basis that i am doing a higher qualification course even though its in a different field.

Cheers

If you have previously completed a Level 6 course and you are now progressing on to a Level 8 then you would satisfy the conditions for progression and you could indeed be found eligible. This would of course be dependent on reckonable income limits, residency and the course and institution must also be approved (must be a full-time course in a public college).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Robbie

If you have previously completed a Level 6 course and you are now progressing on to a Level 8 then you would satisfy the conditions for progression and you could indeed be found eligible. This would of course be dependent on reckonable income limits, residency and the course and institution must also be approved (must be a full-time course in a public college).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Robbie

from my reading of his scenario I think he means he is beginning a level 8 from the beginning i.e 1st year. not going straight from level 6(2nd year) on to years 3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

from my reading of his scenario I think he means he is beginning a level 8 from the beginning i.e 1st year. not going straight from level 6(2nd year) on to years 3 and 4

I think, regardless of the point you are making that Robbie is still correct.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think, regardless of the point you are making that Robbie is still correct.

no worries, not questioning if robbie is correct or not,he does work for susi after all. im merely trying to clarify mindboggling's situation for him as we have talked in private extensively. i was under the impression from my own experiences there was a difference between starting a course over again as opposed to jumping straight from a level 6 to 7 or 8...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi,

It does not matter if you are beginning first year of a level 8 or if you are going into second, third or fourth year, as long as you are progressing.

You may go directly from a level 5, 6 or 7 straight in to first year of a level 8 and still satisfy the conditions of progression.

no worries, not questioning if robbie is correct or not,he does work for susi after all. im merely trying to clarify mindboggling's situation for him as we have talked in private extensively. i was under the impression from my own experiences there was a difference between starting a course over again as opposed to jumping straight from a level 6 to 7 or 8...

Mindboggling has PM'd me and I am looking after her query. Im sure she appreciates your concern all the same.

Please rest assured in the knowledge that I will be more than happy and willing to answer all her queries in full with the most accurate and up to date information possible as I would for anyone else with a query regarding SuSi.

If anyone has any further queries, you can send me your details and I will be able to help you to ensure all documentation has been successfully received.

You will need to PM me the following details and I will respond as soon as possible:

- Application reference number

- Home Address

- Date of birth

- Mothers maiden name

We can also be contacted via PM on Facebook and Twitter if you would prefer. I have provided links to our pages below:

http://www.facebook.com/susisupport

https://twitter.com/Susihelpdesk

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Robbie

"Please rest assured in the knowledge"..dont worry,ill sleep like a baby tonight now. in fairness you sound alot more competent than the people I dealt with in SUSI during my application. Doesnt look like much has changed there either. The advice mindboggling received over the phone from SUSI completely contradicts your own information

Advertisement