Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Repair Virus

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Got a really nasty virus. When I start up get this bogus virus or hdd scanner program. Cannot access files and start menu not working. Tried safe mode but cannot open the start menu, system recovery not working. icons and Windows explorer are so messed up that I cannot see anything. Tried F8 at start up and then ran malwarebytes from dos and removed some viruses but problem still there. I think it is the windows restore virus.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

anyway you can get rkill.exe to run on your computer?
    It will kill all processes bar windows ones so you can then download malwares anti malware and then remove the viruses.

You can also download Kapersky rescue disk

https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

which will run a scan from a bootable cd or usb stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

theidiots wrote: »
    It will kill all processes bar windows ones so you can then download malwares anti malware and then remove the viruses.

Hi thanks for your reply, no tried rkill but it is impossible to do anything in safe or normal node. I looked at the Kapersky rescue disk will give that a go thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

theidiots wrote: »

Hi thanks for your reply, no tried rkill but it is impossible to do anything in safe or normal node. I looked at the Kapersky rescue disk will give that a go thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Things you can try:
    • boot a bartpe disc and use this to load the system and user registry hives to check for malicious stuff running on startup, and delete it where necessary
    • Boot a WinPE 2.0 disc (similar to bartpe but instead of a full desktop it gets you a Vista/7 style command line environment from which to attempt repairs, including options like running the System File Checker in offline mode)
    • (This is a longshot, but what the hell) Use Sysinternals Autoruns (you may need to rename the executable file to get it to run) to check for and disable image hijacks that prevent you from using other system cleanup tools.
    • Attempt an online system verification with sfc /scannow at the command prompt (if you can open it)
    • Use something like the F-Secure Rescue CD to do an offline scan

If none of that makes you any progress, I'd strongly recommend a clean reinstall - it's possible to spend tens of hours trying to clean up an infected system without success.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

moved

• Advertisement
Advertisement