Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miele S2 Vacuum Cleaner - €119 at Harvey Norman

Options
  • 20-02-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Just back from Harvey Norman (Limerick) where they've reduced the Miele S2 from €159 to €119.

They call it a compact cleaner (1600 watt) but it compares well with other brands of full-size cleaners when it comes to power. I've had a Miele Cat & Dog for about 12 years now and it's still going strong.

Not sure how long the offer is on for or whether it's nationwide, but if you're looking for a new hoover, it's worth consideration :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Surely if I want a Hoover, I'll buy a Hoover
    A vacum cleaner on the other hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

one of the best brand cleaners out there paid 350e for a bag-less bissell vacuum cleaner didnt even come close to the suction the miele definitely recommend these to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

This is gonna reignite the whole Mielle v Dyson debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Tried them all. Henry is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Vacuum cleaners suck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The new Miele S8 series is down to €169 in Powercity at the moment.

We have this at home - the 33ft cable makes it a breeze to get around & it's an absolute monster of a machine.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-50-094686&pages=1&prod=094686&brands=MIELE&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

My €450 Dyson was on adverts the next day after trying my mates S2....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

cgarrad wrote: »
    My €450 Dyson was on adverts the next day after trying my mates S2....

Personally, I think the Dyson is over-rated although my OH loves the look of it because it looks more like a gadget than our Miele. I keep telling him if it ain't broke, don't fix it....poor man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The new Miele S8 series is down to €169 in Powercity at the moment.

We have this at home - the 33ft cable makes it a breeze to get around & it's an absolute monster of a machine.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-50-094686&pages=1&prod=094686&brands=MIELE&image=
    Have this one. Its really good and quiet for a vacuum cleaner.
    Miele > Dyson for me.

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Dyson is over-rated although my OH loves the look of it because it looks more like a gadget than our Miele. I keep telling him if it ain't broke, don't fix it....poor man :D

He probably has an iPhone as well ;-D

• Advertisement

He probably has an iPhone as well ;-D

You got that one right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Dagda wrote: »
    This is gonna reignite the whole Mielle v Dyson debate...

who won?

As an aside, I have two huskies, who shed hair like you would not believe. If I got one of these, will it be a case of changing bags a lot forever more?

everlast75 wrote: »
    who won?

As an aside, I have two huskies, who shed hair like you would not believe. If I got one of these, will it be a case of changing bags a lot forever more?

As the owner of a Cavalier King Charles, I would say probably. The bags do seem to hold a lot though and mine last for a good while. I noticed in HN they are €13.99 for a box of 4 plus 2 filters. Can get Miele-compatible ones on ebay for €15 for a pack of 10 plus 4 filters.

Here's the linky for anyone interested in the bags. I haven't got them myself (yet) but they're on my to-do list!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

if anyone is going to get one of these should shop around a little 1st bought my 1st miele from arnotts dropped it down the stairs costing me 110 euro to get it fixed bought a new one in power city and they give 2yrs parts and labor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Old vacuum went bang, was a dyson, just got the miele S8 from powercity, im very impressed, thanks for the recommendation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Old vacuum went bang, was a dyson, just got the miele S8 from powercity, im very impressed, thanks for the recommendation :)

Can i please ask why anyone would want to buy a 'bagged' vacuum these days...i must be missing something? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

less dust spouting everywhere when you go to dump it is one advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Sure - but it means that you have to keep buying the bags once their full?? Makes no sense to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rochestown wrote: »
    Sure - but it means that you have to keep buying the bags once their full?? Makes no sense to me....

personally I'd rather pay the tenner or so for 4 bags as they are cleaner to empty. Simply remove and in the bin, no cleaning of any containers or removing hair etc.
    I have a Dyson hand held and even emptying that is messy. I just prefer bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dyson are realistically the only manufacturer to produce bagless cleaners which deliver a broadly comparable experience to Miele. Even at that, many Dyson owners who subsequently move to Miele appear taken aback by the difference in performance and long-term reliability. Bagged vs bagless may initially seem a no-brainer, but when the motor goes or filters need replacing on the Dyson, any 'convenience factor' is rendered redundant pretty quick.

So essentially you're paying a premium for the brand-name and design aesthetic - making Dyson the Apple of home appliances in many respects.

• Advertisement

Make sure to buy genuine bags, they are well worth the extra €5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

how in the hell an "original bag" is better?

The spurious are paper, the genuine are a woven fabric.

Paper bags block the pores after about 5 mins, the fabric bag looses some suction but much less in comparison.

Try and breath through a tee shirt and then a sheet of paper ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Can i please ask why anyone would want to buy a 'bagged' vacuum these days...i must be missing something? Thanks...
    indeed you are. :)

bagless vacuum cleaners are (for the most part) just a gimmick to make you feel a false sense of achievement that you're not having to buy bags any more.

decent vacuum bags are peanuts and last plenty long enough unless you're using it to vacuum a builders office or something like that and the performance you get from a miele versus the likes of a dyson are substantial, particularly after you've been using it for a while.

just read the other posts on the thread. you hear plenty of people moving from dyson's and other vacuums TO a miele, but you'll seldom hear of anyone moving away FROM one.

you also won't hear of many people that have been using the same vacuum cleaner for 10 years+ unless it's a miele. for most people, a mid to high end miele will usually be the last vacuum cleaner they will ever buy. :)

The spurious are paper, the genuine are a woven fabric.

I think you might be referring to my post where I said this:
    I noticed in HN they are €13.99 for a box of 4 plus 2 filters. Can get Miele-compatible ones on ebay for €15 for a pack of 10 plus 4 filters.

Although the bags might be "spurious", they are the woven bags, not paper. Therefore, IMHO, I believe that a cost of €1.50 per bag compares well with €3.50 per genuine Miele bag.

Advertisement