Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you can't prove you're looking for work?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

On the form you get sometimes, you're to fill out some of the jobs you applied for but the thing in is for the last few weeks i haven't been able to apply since i don't have experience is

if i can't put any jobs down what'll happen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Are you eligible for any Jobbridge positions, CE schemes, Fas Courses or other courses? If you can apply for any of those, it would count.
    Your jobseekers payment can be reduced if you are found not to be actively looking for work, accepting interviews or seeking/accepting courses http://www.thejournal.ie/jobseekers-have-benefits-cut-for-not-accepting-work-or-training-offers-575419-Aug2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭hawthorne

You are required to look for work.
    Looking for work is what you are getting paid for.
    If you do not look for work- you will be thrown of the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do look for the jobs but lately they all need experience to even apply so i dunno what i'm meant to do

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Apply on the off chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Rejection letters are your friend. Apply for any job and build up a pile of "we are sorry to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful" letters. Proves you're looking and keeps social welfare happy.
    Any interviews you get, ask them to provide you with feedback if at all possible - a) some of it can be useful and b) it shows you expressed an interest in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Rejection letters are your friend. Apply for any job and build up a pile of "we are sorry to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful" letters. Proves you're looking and keeps social welfare happy.
    Any interviews you get, ask them to provide you with feedback if at all possible - a) some of it can be useful and b) it shows you expressed an interest in that position.

That's all very well in theory but most jobs I've applied for don't even bother responding, the only way I can prove I'm applying for jobs is a copy of the email/letter I sent I guess. But as OP says, if there's no jobs you're able to apply for what are you supposed to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SillyIrish

Apply online to places like boots, mcdonalds or any other company that allow it. They'll send you a rejection email if you don't qualify for the job then just print that out and it's good enough proof(well from my experience anyway) just print out the email they sent you back and include it with the social welfare letter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Later this year I may have to apply for JSA having just exited a c.e. scheme and very soon after will be age 65.

Can't help wondering what proof they would expect someone of my age to dig up while waiting for State Pension at age 66. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Later this year I may have to apply for JSA having just exited a c.e. scheme and very soon after will be age 65.

Can't help wondering what proof they would expect someone of my age to dig up while waiting for State Pension at age 66. :rolleyes:

I know someone aged 65 and 9 months who had to go to both the group meeting and the one-on-one where job applications, course applications etc., were checked. He had just finished a course about 5 months previously. So, keep applying and keep records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

on_dole wrote: »
    On the form you get sometimes, you're to fill out some of the jobs you applied for but the thing in is for the last few weeks i haven't been able to apply since i don't have experience is

Many jobseeking websites offer one-click apply. Pick something you like the sounds of even though you're not qualified and apply anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ha ha. The last time I was called to an interview, I was waiting for them!

Gets to the point where I had to produce evidence I was looking for work. I handed over a nice thick folder. It was full of copies of e-mail applications, acknowledgments (where sent) and a smaller pile of rejection e-mails, all neatly divided. The look of fear that passed over the inspector's face when he thought he had to copy them was priceless! :D

I took pity on the poor man and told him to keep them as I already had copies...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Balagan wrote: »
    I know someone aged 65 and 9 months who had to go to both the group meeting and the one-on-one where job applications, course applications etc., were checked. He had just finished a course about 5 months previously. So, keep applying and keep records.

Has this person got stamps, if so they would have been entitled to the State Pension Transition SPT on turning 65.

But this SPT is being abolished at the end of this year unfortunately, I'm missing out on it by just 3 months.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ha ha. The last time I was called to an interview, I was waiting for them!

Gets to the point where I had to produce evidence I was looking for work. I handed over a nice thick folder. It was full of copies of e-mail applications, acknowledgments (where sent) and a smaller pile of rejection e-mails, all neatly divided. The look of fear that passed over the inspector's face when he thought he had to copy them was priceless! :D

I took pity on the poor man and told him to keep them as I already had copies...

I had a similar experience. That why I suggested filing the rejection notices. They need to fill a quota of chancers who never apply for anything. Its easy enough to build up a dossier of bad news. We have the economic climate for it these days.
    Just don't apply for anything obviously stupid like Prima Ballerina at the Kirov or CEO of Google. Try to keep as near to reality as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

But those Forms just usually accept names of places you've applied to though? Unless there's other Forms to the one I'm thinking of? Maybe there's other Forms to be filled out like that. I usually just write the name of the Company I would have applied to, can't they get on to the Company themselves then if they want proof I applied lol :p Sometimes if a place comes into my head that I reckon may have a chance to or would like to work there and I send in a CV to them, what I would just write on that Form is, their name and stick down miscellaneous for Position applied for if there wasn't any actual Position. Have to try anyway shure even if nought advertised. :)

I did that too one day ABC, had a few u.f.o.'s :D P.F.O's floating around the house for their own private pleasure lol, so I thought well feic this now someone has to see what I spend my time doing, so I photocopied them and plonked the copies into Social Welfare. The man at the Desk looked at me a tad oddly as if to say what am I expected to do with these! :pac: But I just told him to put them in my file and walked off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement