Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Entitled to Assistance?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I'm 22 year old student, in my 3rd year of a 4 year degree, and I've recently had a change of circumstances.

My parents have separated and I've been forced to begin renting a place of my own.

Is there any type of assistance I am entitled to as I am already beginning to struggle financially as I only work part-time?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The student assistance fund

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7235/student-assistance-fund/index.html

What college are you in?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

First stop Students Union if your college has one, they are usually very good. Then finance in the college, there can be internal funds or help for this. After that contact Social Welfare and Community Welfare officer. Then contact the Grants people. Then hope someone can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kdarcy9

Hi Mango Salsa,

Thanks for link.

I'm in NUI Maynooth which appears to be eligible! So this is definitely something I'll look into!

Thanks!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kdarcy9

Thanks again Mango Salsa,

A lot of this seems to be based around a family income? If my parents income is above the threshold even though I'm not living in my family home would this make me ineligible or is this a question for the SAF Staff at Maynooth?

• Advertisement

kdarcy9 wrote: »

A lot of this seems to be based around a family income? If my parents income is above the threshold even though I'm not living in my family home would this make me ineligible or is this a question for the SAF Staff at Maynooth?

I have no idea

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

kdarcy9 wrote: »

Go to your welfare officer at the student union and explain in full your circumstances. They will help you to compile any documentation you will need i.e receipts, letter from you to support your application etc. Make sure you do get the application into the SAF before the deadline. Another place which may help with food is the svp. The welfare officer will point you in the right direction and is used to people's changes to their support. Good luck with everything.

Advertisement