Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to import posts from another site

Options
  • 20-02-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Brand new to boards so excuse me if i'm in the wrong place.

Myself and a friend of mine recently set up a website, callcentresjobs.ie

Its a completely free site to employers & job seekers. The whole idea is to allow companies post jobs for free and allow our potential database of job seekers quick and free access to the companies.

Since the site has launched we have gotten a good response from job seekers but so far we have struggled with companies. The general response so far has been that companies would be happy to use us, but are waiting for others to start first! So we tried to import jobs from indeed.com just to get it started and get some positions on the site. This has only worked to a degree though as the built in import tool isn't the best.

Does anyone know of a better way of doing this? The site was developed for us using Wordpress and while I know my way around HTML I wouldn't be an expect by any means. It's only a temporary thing as well as I'm hoping that once a few companies see jobs on it that they will start to begin posting.

Any help would be great guys, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

First off. Have you got permission to be displaying content from indeed.com? If yes maybe they would have some sort of Api you could plug into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya ripping content of another site might land you in some trouble both with the website and the people who posted the job.

The person posting the job might not want it advertised on any site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I see you may have a character encoding problem
    [PHP]Norwegian Speaking Technical Support Agent. Dublin, Ireland €24k [/PHP]

You don't appear to have any terms and conditions.
    Have you got permission to be displaying content from indeed.com
    Have you read the Terms of Service for indeed and the "Use of Indeed" Section
    http://www.indeed.ie/intl/en/tos.html
    built in import tool isn't the best

Is the import tool on your site or Indeeds?

If it is your site why not get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

indeed.com wrote:
    You may search the Indeed job index using our XML interface. This allows you to submit job searches and receive results via a structured XML feed which can be incorporated into your website or application. Indeed Web Services may be used free of charge for commercial and non-commercial purposes.

So it seems you can consume indeed.com data. Other job sites may also have an API that you can consume, but I haven't looked. As stated though, if you don't have a terms and conditions with the original publisher you may get into trouble.

I would hazard a guess and say that employers could be persuaded if you had enough jobseeker traffic, you may need to get creative with your advertising to achieve that.

Advertisement